Formula 1 Thread

ironbut

I swear, sometimes I think that those fuckheads at the FIA think they have a quota on rule changes every year!

And if they come up a little short, they just write ones that will only be enforced when there's a lack of controversy in the sporting press.

Whatever, I'm this close to stop following the races.

I said the same thing to Debbie last night Antonio. I've been following F1 for over 30 years and these recent changes are really driving me away from the sport. When I hear things like in the last race where drivers are told to dial back to keep the brakes alive, or to not use too much fuel, it's simply become damage management, not racing.

• 3 weeks later...

In a World Cup correlated subject, FIFA ordered Nico Rosberg how and how not to celebrate Germany title in his own land...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/17/german-gp-rosberg-helmet_n_5594256.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/17/german-gp-rosberg-helmet_n_5594256.html

Oh my!

Really enjoyed Germany!

The fight between Alonzo and Riccardo was a classic and the way that Lewis worked his way through the field was just amazing!

I'm glad to hear more and more complaints from folks like Bernie (racing taxicabs) about the current state of the formula.

Having F1 presided over by an organization based in a country who refuses to have an F1 race any longer because of environmental issues and general lack of interest,.. well, I can't say what's going on is out of the blue!

I've also been enjoying the season, but that comes with a caveat. The bits I've been enjoying have been the fights for 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. At the front? Not a lot going on there. It seems every time the FIA decide to improve the show, it just gets worse at the front. Even Alonso has said, yes, it was a great race, but not when you consider I'm fighting a Red Bull for 4th...

I still say let them have any technology they want but eliminate all sophisticated aero. Let them have mechanical grip only and it will self-limit horsepower, and it will prove who the real drivers are. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

Cheers To Ricciardo..

Fernando outdrove his car (and the field) and was amazing... 

and fair play to Hamilton to come from the back to the podium  - one of the better drives I have ever seen...

All of the above. Fernando continues to impress. And Ferrari had better have Ricciardo on their map for the future. If they can build a car that suits his talent. They have not done so well as far as Fernando is concerned.

Louis was awesome, especially considering a spin that could have easily broken his spirit. And I thought refusing team orders was 100% the right thing to do. Hell, Rosberg wasn't even pressuring him. If he was dogging Louis for several laps then I might have said OK, but dammit, this is a championship they are fighting for. Louis earned his position, it was up to Rosberg to take it from him.

Great racing, and also great demonstrations of how safe these current F1 cars are. Bravo to that.

• 4 weeks later...

Great toon!

F1 is such a crazy little world.

Lewis and Nico both looked so unhappy you'd never guess that they're leading the championship.

And it's so great to see Riccardo and Bottas enjoying the ride to the top.

I have to say that I am getting pretty tired of hearing folks "boo" drivers on the podium.

I can't even imagine standing on sacred ground like Spa where so many great drivers have died for the sport and trying to make a driver feel bad or guilty no matter what transpired during the race.

F1 is still a gentleman's sport to me even it that's totally unrealistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a single stop.. but I really enjoyed the race. Lots of racing going on. Fair play to Hamilton to come back. And good to see Masa back in the mix at the time. Also great racing from Button and Perez (super clean and tough)..

I want a lot more races like that - passing all the way around and fighting all the way.

I was rooting for Massa...

I'm kinda tired of hoping next year'll be better...I'd rather see a dominant driver than a dominant engine...

It doesn't seem like talent's rewarded any longer...Unless you're really talented at being young & driving go karts...

I'm still an avid fan...Just a touch disgruntled:)...

I couldn't agree more Jeff. Yeah, there's been some fun racing this year, but at what cost? Drivers being told to short shift to meet fuel flow requirements, cars breaking because of stupid hybrid technology. Why not give them 22 Prius' to race? With the hard skinny tires it might just be a good bit of fun.

I was, however, glad to see Hamilton beat pretty boy. Hamilton's luck of late has been shit, and I'd like to see this remain a competition. And hey, go Riciarrdo!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this coming when Botín died. He was Banco de Santander's president (CEO I guess), one of the most active Fernando's fan, so "he" provided the funds and pulled the wires to get Fernando into Ferrari. Now I don't know if Banco de Santander will even be supporting Fernando anymore, or will remain one of Ferrari's sponsors. I just didn't see the Bank paying most of Fernando's wage and all that anymore. In the same way I don't see Ferrari being able to make a seriously competitive car for the next season, nor Baby Schumi doing anything worth there (I'l probably have to swallow this next year hehehe). OTOH Fernando must be sick of waiting for Ferrari delivering a fast well behaved car.

Editing because I know shit and heard something wrong somewhere :palm:

Edited by Torpedo

I agree Antonio. The Santander thing made me question not whether Fernando would stay, but whether Ferrari would keep him knowing his main sponsor would probably go away. And as you say, Alonso must be sick of taking a 12th place car to close to podium positions each week just through the brute force of his driving skill. I do think he wanted to finish his career driving for Ferrari, but the team made a total hash of it. With DiMontezemelo and others gone, I think Alonso knew the writing was on the wall. I will watch with great curiosity how next season goes if he does sign with McLaren. Ron Dennis has always seemed a dodgy bastard to me and I don't see Fernando meshing any better than his last time there. I hope I'm wrong.

As for Vettel, it's going to be hard. He's bailing from Red Bull after one season of a bad car. What will he do in the next three years that it will take Ferrari to come up with a competitive car? He'll go mad. And I will have a hard time rooting for Ferrari with him in the cockpit. 

The person who gets the best end of this stick in my opinion is Kvyat. I think he'll drive the wheels off the Red Bull next year and have a great season.

We have a say "second parts never ever were good" (segundas partes nunca fueron buenas) which would apply if Fernando goes back to McLaren/Honda with Ron Dennis fookin' around. Moreover I don't have a clue if Honda is making an engine any better than Mercedes, but to make a winner car from current McLaren this must be a hell of an engine.

For Fernando the best outcome would be that Hamilton got pissed with Mercedes--if they clearly favor Rosberg to make the championship-- and he went back to McLaren leaving his seat at Mercedes free. Almost impossible.

I'm not aware of Kvyat's potential. I see his promotion more as a marketing move to increase Red Bull drinks sales in the Russian market, which is a big one.

No matter what the outcome, it's a terrible thing that's happened to Jules Bianchi.

I haven't really thought much about what Vettel's move to Ferrari means for Alonzo. He is my favorite driver but I believe this will be his last major move before he retires. And until he officially declares his intentions, it all guesswork IMHO.

What isn't guesswork is what a huge impact Vettel's decision has on Red Bull. I kinda suspected that things were out of whack at Red Bull the last couple of seasons and this has really confirmed that to me.

IMHO it all started after Webber left and Helmut Marko actually joked about Mark's character after he was gone.

I'm sure that did not go over well up and down the paddocks.

Then, while Bernie Ecclestone was under (legal)  fire, Christian Horner is the short list to replace Bernie as the Chief Exc. of F1.

Next, Adrian Newey leaves the pit wall for a "consulting" position.

Helmut Marko announces Red Bull is the "works" team for Renault.

Vettel to move to Ferrari in 2015 (as soon as his contract allows).

Marko announces Kvyat to move to Red Bull.

What I see here is Marko (who is a consultant) calling the shots. Kvyat is his choice. If you recall all the time and hand wringing it took with Ricciardo, with all the great choices out there, this time the choice was made in a matter of hours?

WTF?

My wild ass guess is that Red Bull is showing the difference between a racing/auto organization and a profit driven sports drink company.

Would they have endured the awful seasons that Williams has?

I say "No way".

I think that just one bad season is tearing the team apart.

Heck, Ricciardo is right up there and could still win the championship!