Your recent music purchases

deepak

really? i quite liked Load. i mean Load and Black Album are crushing disappointments compared to AJFA, but still I liked them. To me DM is the natural sequel to AJFA.
Depeche Mode? Oh, Death Magnetic...I'll give it a listen.

I said "maybe" on Load, mostly because I really don't remember it. I do still have it, so if I stumble across it while going through my CD's, I'll give it a listen.

I didn't mind the transition from AJFA -> the black album so much -- I mean, at least it had some great hooks -- as the transition from the black album -> Load -> Reload. Load and Reload lost all sense of "the hook", IIRC.

"Diffuse" by Spectral.

Damn, this is Progress Trance before there ever was such a thing as Progress Trance. It's way ahead of its time, as is expected for something that came out on the Blue Room Released record label. It very much reminds me of the early Jaia disks (i.e. Blue Energy) in feel if not in style (Jaia is distinctly more Goa). There is a very organic vibe running throughout the whole disk - very French. The melodies, however, are very reminiscent of Eat Static at times.

I should note that the production on hand is some of the best I've ever heard in electronic music. The disk is recorded very quietly so you need to crank it, but the sheer dynamic range, resolution, seemingly analog sense of fluidity and coherence, and massively wide-open if artificial soundstage is remarkable.

Definitely recommended if you're a fan of Goa, Psy, Progress Trance, or just want dance music that has the complexity of Goa but a much proggier beat. I should say that the music is upbeat and playful rather than intense and/or spiritual, as Goa often is.

Oh yeah, the last, chillout track is mind-blowing. I first heard it in Stef's Real Dream mix (it kicks in at about 15:00), and it led me to tracking down the album. Well, as it turns out, the rest of the disk is very different in style and feel, but I don't regret getting it one bit.

4/5 for music, 5/5 for production.

Damn edit timer...

Anyway, it's time to revisit some old-school Goa trance.

This time, it's "To Sirius" by Ra. This disk can be bloody hard to find and is expensive, being long since out of print. But, the music contained therein is remarkable, if you're a fan of Goa.

In a nutshell, this is a dark psy version of old-school Astral Projection. The vibe is very, very dark, the beats are fast and intense, the melodies and middle-eastern, very complex, and polyphonic, and much like Astral Projection, there is a very intense, spiritual vibe that infuses every single track.

This is definitely a dancefloor monster, but as with a lot of old-school Goa, it is also something more. It's hard to put a finger on it, but the same exact mystical X-factor that separated albums like AP's "Trust in Trance," Jaia's "Blue Energy," Infected Mushroom's "Classical Mushroom," or Juno Reactor's "Beyond the Infinite" from the rest of the flock is very much present here. It's a deep, powerful, almost spiritual intensity that, without specifically trying to sound uplifting, nevertheless manages to be very uplifting and touching at the same time.

Oh, and it's also hard and heavy as hell, at least as far as Goa goes.

I definitely give this a full 5/5. This is "Trust in Trance's" evil twin, once removed. Favorite track is #5 - "Initiated" - but everything on the second half of the disk is seriously awesome.

I also have "IFO" by Pleiadians lying here, but that will have to wait...

P.S. Note that there is a rock band named Ra out there, but I'm not talking about them here...

I only got to listen to side one of the Gil Melle last night but it kills! Loved it. Big baritone sax and trombone goodness, Cinderella on guitar, and Thigpen/Pettiford rhythm section and great arrangements.

Are you getting all of these records and never listening to them? That is whack. Just get one of those USB turntables from Project and get to it!

Are you getting all of these records and never listening to them? That is whack. Just get one of those USB turntables from Project and get to it!

When is Rain Man going to start marketing their needledrops? I can think of at least one gaming establishment that would be a good place to test demand. ;)

I'm on the subscription, and they are sent directly to Luis for needle drops :)

I just have put off arranging for some of them nearly all of them to be transferred.

Behold the power of procrastination :eek:

When is Rain Man going to start marketing their needledrops? I can think of at least one gaming establishment that would be a good place to test demand. ;)

RMR is dropping this weekend. :o

I'm on the subscription, and they are sent directly to Luis for needle drops :)

I just have put off arranging for some of them nearly all of them to be transferred.

Behold the power of procrastination :eek:

Ouch. Does Luis get to play them all this time?! He should be paying YOU to do your needledrops!

Well technically there's nothing from stopping him from doing so... but no, he has been most patient allowing me to store them at his place until we're both ready for each project :) Each record only gets played probably 1-3 times, enough to clean it, and get a good transfer. Otherwise they just sit on a shelf, or wherever he stores them.