Maniacal Keyboards

Sherwood

I've been sort of into mechanical keyboards lately.  I spend a lot of time typing, and I felt I should start doing it properly.  Naturally, that has meant spending money on unnecessary things.

Out of DIY interest, I bought an Ergodox keyboard kit from Massdrop. Improbably, I assembled it correctly and I've been enjoying playing around with layouts.

_W3T2166.jpg

I've not gotten too interested in the more esoteric collecting popular elsewhere on the internet, but this little thing sure is fun.  I have some legended keycaps coming, soon, but I've gotten okay typing on the blank ones.  

Anyone else interested in this type of thing?

No.

I hesitated. For awhile there we were getting people registering to join discussions we had on office chairs, and I did not want those people here. Keyboard enthusiasts are yet worse. Nevertheless, the heart wants what it wants.

• Like 1

Getting a noisy-as-fuck mechanical keyboard was pretty awesome. Such a nice typing experience. I have 2 "compact" keyboards without the dedicated number pad on the right. 

I think its interesting how the noise of my own typing has NO effect on my enjoyment of life, and may even increase it, but seems to drive anyone in the vicinity insane. 

I have noticed the same effect on me - when other people use a click mechanical keyboard and I have to listen to that fucking clickity clack click clack I want to do bad things to them.

I wonder what causes this. 

Sherwood - what switches do you have? 

I have a Cherry-blue keyboard at home and Cherry-red (with little foam pads added under the keys to make it even quieter) at work. 

People still complain about it at work. 

Edited by nikongod

I bought a Das Keyboard a few years back, this one I think:

http://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-Professional-Mechanical-DASK3MKPROCLI/dp/B008PFABI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401299352&sr=8-1&keywords=das+keyboard

Can't remember what switches are in it, but I know I got the one that is "quieter". Still pretty clicky.

I just use it at home, wonder if I could get away with using one at work. Really a pleasure to type with.

I am by no means a connoisseur, but I have several keyboards.  Not sure what to call them -- some are mechanical clickity clackity, but I thought the others were mechanical also, they just have rubber grommets to make them quieter.  Noise is noise -- it's less annoying when I'm doing it, but if it can be subdued, I much prefer it subdued.

I think its interesting how the noise of my own typing has NO effect on my enjoyment of life, and may even increase it, but seems to drive anyone in the vicinity insane. 

I have noticed the same effect on me - when other people use a click mechanical keyboard and I have to listen to that fucking clickity clack click clack I want to do bad things to them.

I wonder what causes this. 

It's the same thing that makes your own farts smell good. 

Don't know what the cause is though...hey, mmm, that smells good.