The (Round) Football Thread

Hopstretch

This is 'Merica'... We don't let common sense get in the way of naming our sports! Curling? Why the 'F' not!

When I grew up in Alaska (toward the end of the last ice age), a kid wouldn't be caught dead playing soccer. It was as tainted an activity as band, chorus and ROTC joined together. I'd have been better off coming out than admitting to playing soccer! I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. It's well known that I'm not really a sports guy but I'm very happy to see this turn in attitude toward what seems to be a great sport. A sport parents can allow their kids to play without the concerns of the other football. I also believe that a sport beloved worldwide can only promote better relations with our global neighbors.

Now please resume with the entertaining team loyalties smack downs. :lol:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Chelsea? with just one Champions League on their shelves? The one and only possible religion is Real Madrid, with Barça as a worthy aspirant to deserve some cult status ;D

I would say something about Franco and fascism, but being owned by a Russian oligarch doesn't really lend itself to occupying the moral high ground. ;)

Thank you for Morata, though. We were lethal on the counter last season already with Pedro, Willian and Hazard and I think adding him will take it to the next level.

Enjoy the following clip, Jim!

Edited by Hopstretch
  • Like 1

The present Madrid's president is an oligarch on his own too. He decided to hire Bale for 100M.€ a few years ago, and despite this guy is weaker (from the lesions point of view) and not as elegant, agile, clever and visionary as Morata, we're keeping him instead. Still Benzema is very good and mates very well with Cristiano. The really strong point of this Madrid is the midfield, which is probably as good as it was Barça's at its prime, and that's saying a lot since they were World Champions in 2010.

Last century Madrid might have benefited from political decisions, still they were a team and they did what they did with very stringent nationalist policies (only 2 foreign players were allowed and there was no EU, nor free people travelling those days) using their own resources. Sure, Distefano was one of the greatest, as Messi is and still... ;)

You'll get no argument from me about the quality of the RM team -- they are an absolute mean machine. The governance does look a bit shit, but then the governance of football itself is shit. Look at FIFA, UEFA etc. Corrupt parasites.

Anyway, back to more pleasant thoughts, we will have quite the Spanish core ourselves this season with Azpi, Cesc, Pedro and Morata. I am hoping that we'll go to a midfield three, with Cesc playing behind Kante and Bakayoko. That should be pretty formidable.

Oops and I forgot Marcos Alonso -- who has a great Real Madrid family pedigree! That guy has hugely outperformed all expectations since he joined us last season.

This was from last night's 3-0 drubbing of the Arse.

https://my.mixtape.moe/evsyyr.mp4

A  clip showing my (very close to first) second favorite team schooling my favorite team is not that bad. Plus, now that John Terry is no longer at Chelsea I have much less active hatred toward them. Have to admit that Chelsea has made some really smart acquisitions arqueably the best in the Premiership to this point. I assume you are not disappointed in the result of the Chelsea-Arsenal friendly? Been paying way more attention to Gold Cup games lately.

Have a soft spot for Juve too.

I need to get cable hooked up stat!

Bayern - Chelsea on Tuesday in Singapore. Think it's at 7:35 am Eastern.

Both Manchester clubs are also very much strengthened. The English teams are going to start being a force in Europe again.

Spurs will go backwards, Arsenal are nowhere, Liverpool is hard to tell.

I probably spent at least 3 hours every day watching the World Cup in 2006 and basically haven't watched football since, other than a NYCFC game at Yankee stadium last year. It probably had something to do with my crush at the time playing/being interested in it, but it might be cool to explore again so I'll try to follow this thread.

I'm afraid Cesc is not at his prime, but he's a very good player and hopefully wiser than he was. Premiere is a good show, fun to watch, but its teams tend to sink when in European competitions. We'll see what they can do this year, I'm afraid that Guardiola's style isn't suiting British style so well. Ball control was never a priority in UK, it all started with Cruyff and it permeated Barça, but not many other European temas. No Hollander football fans over here?

Let's see if it happens. The Qatari's have some bigger worries right now!

Jim, I've met John Terry several times and he's honestly really pleasant in person. His kids are also very well behaved and respectful -- which I admit I judge people on. Also no mug financially. Story I heard was that when Chelsea decided to set up their new training ground in Cobham (where we used to live), JT went out on a limb and bought a bunch of land around there and built fuck-off spec mansions on it, which he then rented or sold to new big-money signings  -- Torres, Eto'o, Falcao etc.

Allegedly made more off property than his club salary, which wasn't small!

;) 

I've liked PSG ever since Zlatan went there so I am interested in seeing if this goes through. Cavani is just not flashy enough for them after Zlatan. 

I'm sure I am being totally unreasonable about John Terry but I'm an old curmudgeon and Rio Ferdinand was one of my favorite players. (I realize the incident was with his brother). Anyway, water under-the-bridge at this point and looking forward to a very interesting upcoming season in all the leagues.

• 4 weeks later...

New Premier League season is off and running. Not a great start for the champions with injuries, suspensions and transfer disappointments but today was well worth getting up early on the West Coast. 

What a free kick from Marcos Alonso, who also scored the winner at the death.

https://streamable.com/s/fsop2/xxsfzd

Elsewhere, Man U starting very strongly after Chelsea inexplicably sold them Nemanja Matic, just the defensive midfielder they were missing. Man City spent a small country's military budget on fullbacks to try and shore up their defense. Arsenal look poor, Spurs haven't done much in the off season.

Much as I hate to say it, my guess is it's the two Manc clubs duking it out at the end. Chelsea weren't able to add the squad depth they'll probably need this season to compete at home and in the Champions' League.