I am/was the moderator for the Tape Project forum and I have a modified Technics RS1500 with a custom tube output that replaces the 70's era solid state amp. 

I use that for listening to a collection of about 400 reel to reel tapes.

I also have an Ampex ATR700 which is one of the last machines that Ampex sold. It was a collaboration between Ampex and Teac.

I have a couple of head-blocks for the Ampex and I did some experimenting with the mono/full track head set processing tracks similar to what you're planning.

The results were mixed, but in the long run, I ended up using tape machine plugins.

I admit that my mixing chops weren't nearly what they should have been to make an honest assessment of the process but reel to reel tape is not the cheapest or quickest media to deal with and I'm pretty happy with the subtle results I get with the plugins I use.

After running the Tape Project forum, I did get practiced at teaching and guiding other folks on the care and feeding of reel to reel tape machines.

I wrote a guide which (although many links to pictures are now dead) still exists and may help you getting your Revox running.

I'm a huge fan of these machines so I'd be happy to give you any advice you might need.

Just PM me!

Here's a link to the forum. The Beginners Guide is located at the top of the General Discussion page.

https://forum.tapeproject.com/

Here's a pic of my listening machine.

tape rig 2019.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am/was the moderator for the Tape Project forum and I have a modified Technics RS1500 with a custom tube output that replaces the 70's era solid state amp.  I use that for listening to a collec

This thing is fucking hawt, but I forgot to order the $50 windscreen. So far it is behaving even better than I had expected in my shitty space.     

Don't mean to change the topic but I have moved my setup to the living room for the next three months and I'm excited. As you were. Better photo.

Posted Images

That entire setup is otherworldly cool. I would be jealous if anyone else had it, but I like you so much it just makes me happy to think of you enjoying what is almost certainly the best source gear available to man.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Novation makes some solid stuff from my experience.

I've owned a couple of keyboards and they are roadworthy (I see Impulses in concert footage often).

If it wasn't for an issue with some Kontakt instruments, I'd still be using my Impulse (8 years or so?).

I'm looking at the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 (MkII)... what a mouthful, vs. the Arturia KeyLab 88 MkII for general messing around (coming from a classical piano background). I'm not sure how the instrument libraries compare.

I may even be more excited about it than this guy (bonus weasel words inside):

Edited by HiWire

I'm sure you'd be happier with the keys of the S88 (I bought an S61 a few month back and sold my Keylab).

If you're looking for a replacement for a real piano, you may want to check out many of the other choices.

I'm not a real piano player so my opinion don't mean squat!

Here's a pretty decent thread from the composers forum I hang out on.

There are many, far more qualified posters there.

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/which-88-key-master-keyboard-stagekeys-or-what-fits.99381/

This is just one of many 88 key "what's the best" threads at vi control.

Of course, trying one out is the best and alternatively, buy from a source with good returns (it took me 3 tries before I settled on my S61).

IMHO, I wouldn't be concerned about any libraries. Get the keyboard/keybed you like and spend some time listening to library/modeling demos online. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...