Thinking about getting an L3000...

deepak

It's #220 if you don't mind :police:

lol, you guys made me laugh ;D

it's not using Cardas cable, allright ? ;)

Woah didn't know you were on Head-case, thanks for clearing that up ;D

I am so pumped to get these. Maybe these will start to keep me indoors a bit more. Or maybe the near completion of my phono stage will O0

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, I'm definitely having fun with them right now. Having only heard them at meets before, I am finding a few surprises. The bass isn't quite as overwhelming as I recall at meets (perhaps due to lower SPL's at home?) and the midrange detail is really surprising me. On a few of my reference tracks I've noticed both substantive music details as well as background noises that I'd never heard any of the past headphones I've owned (SA/W-5000 included).

How's the synergy with the Apogee? I'm having the same setup in mind.

Granted I haven't heard the L3000 at length in perhaps 18months, so it's hard for me to comment about how they sound in other systems. But there's nothing about how they sound with the Apogee to suggest it's a sub-optimal match. The bass and midrange are glorious, and the treble does its' job. Of course the soundstage isn't remarkable, but that's not what I have an L3000 for. Being that I know you already have and like the Apogee, I don't see much reason to go off it. The question is more one of will the L3000 fit what you're looking for in a headphone.

Interesting...I think most people that heard both said the W5000 is more detailed. Unless they're confusing brighter with more detailed (I've noticed this to be a trend).

So I guess it's able to handle fast metal pretty well?

Unrelated question but do you think the headphone amp in the Apogee is better than the Lavry DA10?

Yeah, the L3000 has no problem with the generally fast music I like. I'm not having any problems with sounds blurring together. There is a reigon of treble that sticks out a bit more than I recall being the case with the W5000. But it definitely had a hotter upper midrange (which many people mistake for treble), which could be the source of the "more detailed" claims.

I'd say the Apogee's headphone amp sounds better, the only real problem I could detect with it was the lack of soundstage depth. Whereas the DA10's could sound a bit dead or dull, depending on the headphones used. Not that either is a world-beater, and I've not compared them directly.

Ah yes thats what it was that I remembered about the W5000.

the W5000 is definitely more fatiguing in the short term than the L3000. I can listen to th L3000 long term and not get annoyed, a miracle indeed. Seriously, its a great can, and I would love to have on if I could afford it.

There is little doubt in my mind now that the L3000 is a better headphone than the W5000 (even balanced). Even though the soundstage is smaller, instruments are definitely more distinct from the L3000. This really surprises me. I also get a stronger sense of contrast between good and not so good recordings. The latter leave me wondering if these headphones are worth their value, while the former show me why they are.

how do they synergize with the melos?

It sounds wonderful with the Melos. I really don't have a single complaint about the midrange (which was my biggest worry) with my Orange Globe tubes. They just sound very balanced, although slightly leaning towards the darker side. But I'll take that over piercing highs.

I'll copy and paste a bit more impressions:

edit: oh yes this should be mentioned: on my setup the bass is quite balanced. It has a lot of bass impact (kickdrums sound better than all my other headphones including the CD3000) but has less bass than a stock DT770/80pro. The bass is a bit more than the HD650 in quantity (but much tighter and textured).

My DAC is quite dynamic, combine that with these headphones and it makes for a very enjoying listen. I'm also very picky about the midrange and these headphones nail it. Electric guitars just sound so sweet and crunchy. I'd take my K1000 over them for female vocals, but male vocals sound great.

Glad you got one without me having to sell you mine.

...on my setup the bass is quite balanced. It has a lot of bass impact (kickdrums sound better than all my other headphones including the CD3000) but has less bass than a stock DT770/80pro. The bass is a bit more than the HD650 in quantity (but much tighter and textured).
I concur.

Unsure if he's registered here or not, but he has a green one :D

Does anyone know how much they sold for new? I read all of chefguru's thread which references the green ones, and everyone keeps mentioning MSRP, but no one actually types the price.

In terms of currently owning the L3k, I think the list includes:

(If you include those who have owned L3ks in the past, the list is almost twice longer)

Iron_Dreamer

jpak

dusty

hirsch

ayt999

tkam

hungrych

darkless

GoRedwings19 (I haven't seen Mike around in quite a long time; I don't know if he still has them)

sasaki

zChan

Those are the ones I can basically name off the top of my head. But most likely there are more that I'm not aware of.