Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Mike felt compelled to offset my resumption of "no stats in '08" with a "many stats in '08" program.

Isn't today opposite day, sponge bob?

I'm tempted to talk to mike about a kgss

Should I share what you said?;):)

Except for the fact that his KGSS cost more than his BH. :eek:;D

When shipping is included, it's about even.

Good job for snagging that one, it was a real good deal. Can't wait to hear your impressions of how it compares to the KGSS DX. :cool:

Thanks! I kind of thought the KGSS DX was going to be around for a while. I guess it's possible it still will be.

I call dibs on the KGBH. :P

I believe you're at least 3rd if not 4th in line.

According to morphsci, no one has followed the correct protocol. ;)

First, Mr. Maher is correct. Second, someone has followed the correct protocol: numbers

I wonder if Vicki will miss the O2's.;)

Sorry about going off topic, but does the KGBH require manual re-biasing and/or matched tubes?

Both, there are two bias pots per channel and you need matched pairs for the channels or just a matched quad. That amp is easier to work with then my old unit since you can remove the top panel (no Black Gates sticking out). Just PM me Mike if you want the instructions to bias the amp.

I've spent a lot of time tuber rolling that amp and it will sound horrid with those stock tubes. The best new production stuff I found were the SED's and the Mullard weren't half bad from the first batch. The Mullard XF-1 and XF-2 tubes are the ultimate you can get but they aren't cheap. XF-3's are good too if you can get them cheaply and the East-German RFT "Dimple top" tubes are a good budget option as well. The GE and Sylvania "Fat Boys" have a very different and bloated sound with overblown bass and a bit odd midrange but some owners like them with the Senn HE's.

Both, there are two bias pots per channel and you need matched pairs for the channels or just a matched quad. That amp is easier to work with then my old unit since you can remove the top panel (no Black Gates sticking out). Just PM me Mike if you want the instructions to bias the amp.

I've spent a lot of time tuber rolling that amp and it will sound horrid with those stock tubes. The best new production stuff I found were the SED's and the Mullard weren't half bad from the first batch. The Mullard XF-1 and XF-2 tubes are the ultimate you can get but they aren't cheap. XF-3's are good too if you can get them cheaply and the East-German RFT "Dimple top" tubes are a good budget option as well. The GE and Sylvania "Fat Boys" have a very different and bloated sound with overblown bass and a bit odd midrange but some owners like them with the Senn HE's.

I hope setting the bias is easier than on the 007t or this amp will be out the door fast. Send instructions, please!

I can get a quad of new Mullard el-34 from Oz at Let There Be Sound to try out.

Those are just my two favorite models. I didn't see a model 17 in there anywhere. I do have a new model one and seventeen on order as future birthday gifts for my son ;)

I've always thought a good reason (and there aren't many) for having children is to buy them knives and guns for their future (way future) use. Having missed out on that, I am pleased to admit that for the past twenty years, the spaniels have bought their Old Pa some pretty nice firearms (since Jenny got me the S&W 629 Classic Hunter with unfluted cylinder) for Christmas and my birthdays. And upon their final departures, the Pa has purchased spaniel commemoratives in their honor (Jenny's was a S&W Model 60 with 3" heavy barrel in .357RemMag). After all, my girls have all been pistols; how better to remember them and keep them with me in the woods?

I hope setting the bias is easier than on the 007t or this amp will be out the door fast. Send instructions, please!

I can get a quad of new Mullard el-34 from Oz at Let There Be Sound to try out.

There are no dual triodes to balance out and the multi-turn pots Justin uses are far less "twitchy" then the single turn crap Stax uses.

I would start off with the better new production tubes and try the old production stuff later. Just be sure to buy the tubes from good sellers or have a tube tester handy. These are power tubes in every sense of the word (biased at 10w each) so if they fail odds are that they will take that channel with them. Just ask pabbi1... :(

There are no dual triodes to balance out and the multi-turn pots Justin uses are far less "twitchy" then the single turn crap Stax uses.

I would start off with the better new production tubes and try the old production stuff later. Just be sure to buy the tubes from good sellers or have a tube tester handy. These are power tubes in every sense of the word (biased at 10w each) so if they fail odds are that they will take that channel with them. Just ask pabbi1... :(

Oz has a tube tester at his shop so I should be okay in that regard.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but once you get the Blue Hawaii biased correctly, it shouldn't need much change from tube to tube. I biased pabbi1's Blue Hawaii by ensuring the amp was stable with the lid on (most people probably don't do this) and all four matched pairs were right on the money when inserted into the amp. YMMV and I'm sure others have biased this amp waaay more than I have, but that's at least my experience on 2 Blue Hawaiis.

Also, I'd recommend getting an insulated trim pot adjuster, don't use a screwdriver.