Two Brosco exterior doors ($550 each new), got the pair for $400

27 lag bolts + washers

3 12' sprice 2x6s

880 lbs of concrete

30 feet of rebar

a bunch of other small items too trivial to list

70+ man-hours of labor (so far)

-- why I won't be spending any money on audio in the foreseeable future

there are plenty of good LCDs for reasonable prices.

I've been shopping around online since buying my new quad core dell. There are some 24" for ~$400-600, but when I got right down to it I decided this CRT would probably be just as pleasing to look at, if not far better. Plus it was still cheaper, even with the ridiculous shipping charges. And CRTs last a long time.

And since its in my bedroom, I'll be typing with the lights out fairly often, and will appreciate the better black levels CRTs offer.

Two Brosco exterior doors ($550 each new), got the pair for $400

27 lag bolts + washers

3 12' sprice 2x6s

880 lbs of concrete

30 feet of rebar

a bunch of other small items too trivial to list

70+ man-hours of labor (so far)

-- why I won't be spending any money on audio in the foreseeable future

What are you building?

What are you building?

I'm replacing both doors on my house, and repairing the mud sill on the south side. The problem is that there is a concrete patio in front of it, which is the roof to a bomb shelter (yay cold war era houses!) The patio is not graded properly, and water collects between it and the house. In order to fix this, we have to jack up the house a couple inches. The concrete is for footers, and the lag bolts are to attach huge steel beams to the side of the house. This job keeps expanding in scope as we find out more about how the house was built. I just learned that the original front door is framed incorrectly, and there isn't room for the new one to be hung correctly without serious modifications to the entryway. I also have to clear off a 20 foot section of wall space in the basement. All of my lighting equipment happens to be in that spot. :eek:

My only advice, not knowing anything about the situation, would be to caution you against using lags in a load bearing environment unless you know exactly what you're doing and have gotten some professional advice.

:eek: x2 from the son of a bricklayer

The people doing the work are professionals. I just write the checks. I will mention this to them, however.

If they're professional home movers (the types of folks that would jack up a house) then you're probably fine. I'd have to know a lot more about the situation to comment more and neither of us probably has the time for that. :)

I think you're right aardvark. I used it for quite a while today and warmed up to it considerably. The only thing that I don't like about it is that there still are some programs, mostly freeware, that aren't yet compatible. Peerguardian 2 being the main one. I'm going to keep in on there for a month or two and I'll see how I cotton to it in that time.

It came on my new Dell, and I'm going to poke around on it before (if) I give it a clean install. If I have a reinstall disc, I may reinstall Vista itself just to get rid of any bloatware.

I have vista on my mini laptop, but want to see how it handles quad core, which is a slight bump up from a Via single core processor.

I've certainly had more problems with 64bit Vista (what I run on my laptop at home) compared with both my work and home desktops which run 32bit XP Pro. There's still a decent amount of software that I can't load on my laptop, the first of which is most versions of Autocad.

I dont know that I buy into the 'Vista blows' hype anymore. At least in comparison to XP. I think people just dont like having to look in new places to find things.

Anyway, nice computer.:)

I agree, with computers that already have Vista installed, 32 bit Vista is actually better (IMO) than 32 bit XP. 64 Bit Vista still has more incompatibility issues compared with 32 bit Vista.

I agree, with computers that already have Vista installed, 32 bit Vista is actually better (IMO) than 32 bit XP. 64 Bit Vista still has more incompatibility issues compared with 32 bit Vista.

I'm curious. Why do you feel that the 32 bit version of vista is better than the 32 bit version of xp?