Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

OCR?

I have not had good success with OCR, and it needs to be 100% reliable. I don't want to have to check every single image file created for every little detail. Just an image is all I need. These will be receipts, which get subjected to the usual wear and tear of a paper receipt.

I have not had good success with OCR, and it needs to be 100% reliable. I don't want to have to check every single image file created for every little detail. Just an image is all I need. These will be receipts, which get subjected to the usual wear and tear of a paper receipt.

Have you given ABBYY FineReader a shot? I've heard good things for it's PDF handling and OCR.

I should add this is on a Mac, and I'm not all that interested in installing some weird one-off programs.

Right now, exif comments seem to be a decent solution.

For PDF conversion, gscan2pdf is working great. The PDF conversion is mainly for work related stuff, which I only use Linux for.

A Canon LIDE 200 scanner. Need to scan research papers and convert to PDF, as well as the added organization of going paperless with receipts, etc.

Dinny, have you found a good solution for 'tagging' your scanned files? Right now I started using the EXIF data of jpg files for keywords from each receipt.

Jay, right now I'm just scanning and filing manually. But I know of a few decent options out there for Mac. Are you using a Mac?

EDIT: oops...you posted while I was dawdling. I'll post some suggestions shortly.

Here are the tagging/organizing packages that I came across. I haven't really kicked the tires on any of them except for DevonThink because my wife refuses to learn any other piece of software. DevonThink seems very powerful, but with a steep learning curve, which pisses me off. The others seem pretty basic and useful in some ways.

DEVONthink 2.0

Yep

Bare Bones Software | Yojimbo

Let me know if any of those are what you're looking for.

Here are the tagging/organizing packages that I came across. I haven't really kicked the tires on any of them except for DevonThink because my wife refuses to learn any other piece of software. DevonThink seems very powerful, but with a steep learning curve, which pisses me off. The others seem pretty basic and useful in some ways.

DEVONthink 2.0

Yep

Bare Bones Software | Yojimbo

Let me know if any of those are what you're looking for.

I really like Yep, at the moment. I downloaded it and scanned the receipt from the engagement ring.

Using jpeg files, the resultant file was 1.9MB

Using the PDF that Yep made (using TWINE), the resultant file was 520kB.

about 4x smaller, and still in an 'open' format: PDF. This means even if the developers of Yep stop supporting it, the files can still be used in the future. It also organizes them in a folder structure according to date, which means my rsync backup scripts will copy over all my files, and they will still have some sort of organization. This makes it easier to sort through it all, should somehting happen to my mac HD, or if yep dies.

Can you tell I'm paranoid about file loss, and shy away from proprietary software? I've been burned in the past with important data kept in proprietary software. The software was abandoned, no loner functioning, and I lost all the stuff I put into it. I'd hate to see that happen with financial data.

Thanks for the referral, Monkeyman!

I used to be similarly paranoid, but at the job I am at now, I have come to learn that there is no such thing as a purely proprietary file format, there's nothing that one can't program around. Now, whether or not I'll actually do that programming is another question...with the answer of "no" in most cases.

I used to be similarly paranoid, but at the job I am at now, I have come to learn that there is no such thing as a purely proprietary file format, there's nothing that one can't program around. Now, whether or not I'll actually do that programming is another question...with the answer of "no" in most cases.

Well that's how I look at it, and for the most part, I'm not willing to do the programming needed. Personal stuff, I like to keep simple. I do enough pita computer work as it is.

But, of course, if a few years worth of financial info was on the line, I'd surely program my way out of a box.

just ordered a butload of bits to finish up a couple of amps

Well I think it's buttload, but in your case wouldn't arseload be more appropriate anyway? Don't let us yanks steal all your identity man!

tin opener, tin opener, tin opener :)

How much is one buttload in arseloads anyway? I usually use google for unit conversions but it doesn't have that one. :-\

Well that's completely dependant on the butt vs. the arse.

For example a Roseanne Barr buttload is equal to appeoximately 31 Keira Knightley arseloads.

So as you can imagine it's much more complex than metric to SAE conversion.

Well that's completely dependant on the butt vs. the arse.

For example a Roseanne Barr buttload is equal to appeoximately 31 Keira Knightley arseloads.

So as you can imagine it's much more complex than metric to SAE conversion.

(a) I think you're confusing literal buttload with colloquial buttload, because colloquially, 1 buttload == 1 arseload.

(B) Even literally, I think your conversion factor is a bit outdated -- have you seen Keira Knightley's arse? Yeah, neither have I.

(wanders off to image-google 'keira knightley's arse')