All this talk about AT got me thinking...

en480c4

No, I didn't get a pair of L3Ks or W5Ks. But I had been thinking about downsizing my office rig for a while. Having the dedicated DAC, Lunchbox and HD-600s seemed to be a little much. Lately I haven't been using them much at all, and figure it was time for a change when I came across a pair of ATH-EW9s for sale over on Head-Fi. Sure it's still overkill for clip-ons, but first impressions are pretty positive, with the mids especially sounding pretty sweet. They seem to fit my ears well and lock into a position that results in more bass than I was expecting. And needless to say, they look great... The color of the cherry is very deep, and depsite being used, the finish is in pretty good shape. Will they sound as good as the HD-600s? Of course not, but they should do just fine for when I'm at work.

1185391133_dscn5202.jpg

1185391193_dscn5207.jpg

1185391395_dscn5212.jpg

Well, considering what I paid for them, they seemed like they were worth taking a chance on. And they definitely fit great and are super-comfortable. I'd say I have pretty big ears, and they seem to find a nice spot where the pads just grab when I fold them in. It keeps them tight to my ears and it definitely seems like the sweet spot for how they sound.

Initially I was a little worried about the sound... When I unpacked them and put them on for the fist time they sounded kind of thin and hollow. But with some fiddling with placement and fit, I seemed to have found right where they need to go, and amazingly enough, they actually stay where I put them! They still don't have a lot of weight to the low end, but beyond that they're pretty well balanced, with nice full mids and a laid-back treble presentation that's good to have considering the long stretches I'm going to be using them at the office.

Considering I do most of my listening (not necessarily critical listening, just most of it), I disagree with downgrading. I need a tonally balanced, non-fatiguing-over-long-term-listening, non-heartbreaking-if-it-gets-stolen-priced setup. I'm not necessarily following that last rule, as my most expensive amp, interconnects, and source are all here at work.

But yeah, they look great.

I remember seeing these when I was in Taiwan a while back. This was well before I found Head-fi and all the headphone glory we share. I saw the price (in NTD) and almost choked, lol. I ended up walking away with a low end clip on by AT. They sounded dull and very hollow. KSC-75's trump them in everything but clarity. I've always wanted to try these as I found AT clips fit me very well. They're so low profile compared to the Koss clips. I especially like how it "clicks" into place.

Yeah. The more I listened to the EM7, the more I was reminded of the Etymotic effect. Remove the bass of a mediocre-sounding phone and it automatically becomes more ethereal and precise sounding.

I remember listening to () by Sigur Ros a few years ago on the train with the EM7 and it made quite an impact. But in reality, EQing out the bass of a PX100 would probably have had the same - or better - effect.

This is the Apple Mac effect - if it looks good, you tend to ignore everything else.

While I'm more than willing to accept that as your take on what I think of these, I just want to follow up with the following...

• I went into these expecting no bass, so what I found wasn't as bad as expected. Does it have particularly good bass extension or impact? No. But it's adequate, and was a pleasant surprise. So it's more about expectations, I think.
  • The treble presentation is unoffensive, which is very important to me for listening for long periods of time. I've heard the 35/75s and are they fun? Yes. Do they have better bass? Yes. But with that came more treble energy and a lack of refinement of the upper mids and highs that I couldn't live for anywhere from 4-8 hours every day. But there's a smoothness to the treble that more than makes up for a lack of extension to my ears.
  • Mids are definitely their strength. Female vocals, cello, (most) piano, overdriven guitar and textures from EBM/Industrial all sound great. About 80% of what I listen to is female-fronted, and these have sounded great with everything I've thrown at them in that respect. Textue and tone are quite good.
  • Comfort is amazing. I had heard how comfortable these were and wow. You forget they're there after a few minutes. They're also a lot smaller than I expected.
  • Looks? Yeah, they look great. But there are plenty of headphones I think are beautiful that I wouldn't take if you gave 'em to me, or at least not if I had to listen to them. And there are some pretty ugly ones I'd be more than happy to have.
  • Considering value, you can get these used for $80-100, and maybe less if you're patient. Are they 6x better than the Koss clips? No, probably not. But its strengths are in areas that are important to me, so it was definitely worth while for me.

So so far, I've been very happy. Full-size cans just aren't what I'm looking for right now for when I'm at work. So these seem like a very comfortable alternative for now.

But in reality, EQing out the bass of a PX100 would probably have had the same - or better - effect.

I have to thank you for this post... The idea of EQ never occurred to me, but a 2-3 db bump in 55, 77, 110 and 156 Hz in Foobar's EQ has really rounded things out. It's not night and day, but there's a litte more heft to the low end, and with that small a bump, there doesn't appear to be any real loss in the quality of the bass.

Well, I've learned that the AT's finish is no match for the concrete floor in my office!

:shrug: The first big nick is always the worst. Now I really don't have to worry.

Oh noes. :(

Yeah, first nicks makes it hurt deep inside.