Review Gear You Haven't Heard

postjack

Anyone care to review some gear they haven't ever heard?

The HE90 is a great headphone, especially paired with the Orpheus headphone amplifier. The Orpheus has the power in wattage and ampules to move the electrostatic weave band very quickly creating beautiful transient response and superb imaging akin to the best speaker systems ever made. Its like being there with the musicians when you listen to it. I was listening to jazz with it and it is like Miles Davis is alive and in my room with me blowing horn. Its like finally i stop listening to my gear and start listening to the music. After all, isn't that what this hobby is all about? Also the HE90 has a blacker background. Its like the HE90 company took a Sennheiser and Grado and combined them into the ultimate headphone.

Go ahead, give it a shot. :)

The HE90 is a great headphone, especially paired with the Orpheus headphone amplifier.

False. Everyone knows the HEV90 is a mediocre amp for the HE90. Duh.

;)

Also the HE90 has a blacker background.

I've never heard anyone talk about how "black" the background is for a speaker/headphone. Blacker than what?

I've never heard anyone talk about how "black" the background is for a speaker/headphone. Blacker than what?

This is an excellent question Nanoho. The best part about any background when it comes to speakers OR headphones is how black it is overall, darkness etc. Oftentimes you can get the background blacker with a better power source or a more resolving driver.

Review: Moon Audio Luna Headphone Amplification

Associated Gear: headphones, cd player, cables

Imagine a world where music is excellent, and one can have a transformer coupled tube amp from Moon Audio to power your HD650 or Grado. Well stop imaging, your world has come true! The Moon Audio Luna is a true high end experience in audio gear. I powered my Grado headphones with it and turned up the volume and it got very loud while still having that famous Grado prat and midrange. Imaging was outstanding. I stand up and applaud Moon Audio and their achievement. The soundstage was still small like it normally is on my Grado but it was bigger then it had been previously. Highly black.

Review of: Cary CD 360

Downstream components:

I called the president of Cary in Boulder, CO and found out he is a swell guy with a great philosophy on making fantastic audio gear and cd players. We hung out and had coffee and he shared with me his philosophy. From Pres of Cary: "Basically I make audio cd players for people who love music. I don't use any trickery or craziness in my CDP. Here in Boulder this is how we do things, very good work and then we go skiing".

From the first note I knew the CD 360 was a revelation. It has a bold, rich sound like a hot cup of french roast on a cool fall day in Boulder, CO. SACDs were even better. Awesomely enough the Cary CD 360 has a digital input so I can run an optical out from my MacBook iPro and listen to MP3s via iTunes. I had downloaded the new Modest Mouse album and it sounded amazing, lilke layers of goodness like I was seeing into the music.

I put on a cd of "bang bang maxwwell single hammer" and it was like I was hearing the Beatles for thefirst ime. The timpanis were crisp and clear but not overly bright. The drum kicks were very intense and meaty, full.

I heartily recommend this player to anyone who wants to stop listening to their gear, and start listening to their music again. Its like I was 13 listening to the beatles for the first time.

This review would sound so much better in jive:

"Review of: Cary CD 360

Downstream components:

I called tha president of Cary in Boulda, CO n found out he is a swiznell homey wit a bootylicious philosophy on blingin' fantastic audio gizzle n cd players. We hung out n had coffee n he shared wit me his philosophy. Fizzy Pres of Cary: "Basically: I makes audio cd playa fo` thugz who love music. I Don't use any trickery or craziness in mah CDP. Hizzle in Shot Calla this is how we do th'n, vizzle good work n tizzy we go skiing".

F-R-to-tha-izzom tha first nizzle I kizzy tha CD 360 was a revelation. It has a bold, R-to-tha-izzich sound like a hot cup of french roast on a coo` fall day in Boulda, CO. SACDs were even better. Awesomely enough tha Cary CD 360 has a digital input so I can run an optical out F-R-to-tha-izzom mah MacBook iPro n listen ta MP3s via iTunes. I had downloaded tha new Modest Mizouse album n it sounded amaz'n, lilke poser of goodness like I was see'n intotha music.

I put on a cd of "bang bizzle maxwwell single hammer" n it was like I was hear'n tha Beatles fo` thefirst ime. The timpanis were crizzisp n clear but not overly bright. The drizzay kicks were very intense n meaty, full.

I heartily recommend this drug deala ta anyone who wants ta stizzop listen'n ta they gear, n start spendin' ta they music again. Its like I was 13 listen'n ta tha beatles fo` tha first time fo all my homies in the pen."

Courtesty of Gizoogle

This thread would be better deleted.

If people are going to claim this forum as an alternate to head-fi it'd be nice if the entire thing wasn't a mockery, just my 2c.

In no way was I starting this thread as a mockery of Head-Fi. I was just making a joke.

Please don't search for any deeper meaning or relevance in anything I post. I'm just bored at work and hoping to garner a few laughs through silliness. In no way is this intended as a mean-spirited jibe at anyone at HF.

I'm not pissed off and I don't think anyone else is. Furthermore I'm hardly the compass of what should or should not be posted here. I've just been noticing a trend lately (not related to any one individual either) of less and less actual content. Don't get me wrong, I get a lot of entertainment out of these forums but I thought Head-case was actually progressing towards a good place for serious audio discussion, which I thought was a good thing.

Why do we need a thread here to do this... Isn't there already a whole forum full of people more than willing to spout off about stuff they've never heard? ???

Why do you need to hear it if the item is made by a site sponsor? I thought it was a universal truth that the amount of money a sponsor pays to the site owner combined with the amount you pay for the product is directly proportional to how good their equipment sounds. Don't tell me I've been deceived all these years. ???

i'm tempted to buy one of the new iMacs. i have a recently paid off credit card that would the iMac would fit on quite nicely, but i don't think it's really a very good idea. my MBP and 20inch LCD are good enough, right?

Deww iiiiit!! >:D

I want one, too, though it's not going to happen since I just bought an iMac back in March. Besides, I need to save up money for a new laptop now that my iBook is basically useless as a portable computer.

I can't use AirPort or Bluetooth, since doing so will result in the ever joyous kernel panic. The hardware that controls both is basically kaput, and I'm not going to spend the money to get it fixed at this point.

Otherwise, it still works fine, so I've run a 50-ft ethernet cable from computer room to my living room, where the iBook mostly resides.