Elephas

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Has anyone heard the ESW10JPN and the ATH-A900ti? I was wondering if they're any good for their price, or are they atleast worth buying for their SQ?

Oh god my Ti's are unbelievably awesome.

Caveat emptor: Take what I say with a grain of salt the size of the continental USA because I think I'm selling them soon.

It has to do with what I need right now (for school) and not what I want.

In some ways, these are my fave headphones ever. (their sound signature just seems right)

Ultimately, my k340s have better detail and seperation than any headphone I've heard, (useful for transcribing from recordings for school projects) and they also happen to be my favorite headphones for jazz (I am studying jazz saxophone)

And ultimately, my Yh100's, although their soundstage is small, provide me unheard of bass detail, (I don't find them bass-heavy because I'm a low volume listener)

reason I need bass detail is because I am also studying electronic music production (whompedelic bass drops anyone?)

If my DV could run low impedence headphones there's a very good chance I would keep the 900ti, it's just simply the most pleasing headphone to my ears I've heard.

When I'm listening I can suspend disbelief more easily than any other headphone.

If only enjoying the music was my only criteria, I would sell everything but the ti and the parasound and buy a woo6 w/ pdsp mod and be set for a good while.

I don't want to own more than two tube amps at once lest I become like some ghoulish fiend on the other site. (GradoFan2 haha)

Also, my K340's and my yh100's are sweating from the competition lol.

Sorry for the rant.

BTW, I really like the smell of Audio-Technica's, does anyone else find that?

well, I just stuck my K340's back on my head and they are still my faves,

It's really too bad, the K340's have the advantage of having a synergystic amp, while the 900ti's are barely being driven properly. ah well

might have to chalk up my initial impressions to new toy syndrome.

Though with electronica, I'm enjoying them more than my other cans, they're more fun.

I've always found ATH cans to be really good with electronica.

AD2000 + any fast electronica.

And the woodies were really nice with downtempo/lounge/triphop.

I've heard em Voltron,

unamped they have a darkish sound signature, and sound congested/compressed imo compare to K271's, K240s (could very well be because the AKG have a more forward midrange)

The bass was tight, but it had poor definition/resolution.

I would say they sounded like a Koss Portapro that has tight bass, larger soundstage, more detail. similar sound signature.

They sound different from every other ATH I've heard.

They have a pretty balanced frequency response They are a better studio phone than the competion when it comes to technicality: balanced response, soundstage, imaging,

but imo they are trying to cram too much into that price point.

But I would buy the K240 over these.

I would choose the k240 for regular studio work, and either the HD280 or the K271s for vocals monitoring.

But of course, studio monitor speakers are what you really want to be using overall.

For just out of an ipod, I would buy the ATH ES7's.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. He doesn't mix with headphones -- and snobbishly dismissed that idea out of hand -- but he likes to have the cans for times when he can't use speakers, etc. The casual listening is just a side benefit for him. He didn't want cans so hard to drive they would sound super crappy from the iPhone.

dreamwhisper:

are you a AT fanboy? Really, the ATH-A900ti sounded okay, but nothing all that special I thought.

yeah, how could you tell? lol

Maybe, I definitely do like ATH's house sound, and I find it interesting that each ATH has a slightly different sound signature.

After going through a few ATH's, I think I've found the sound signature I was looking for.

I can't believe I'm the only one to comment on the ATH smell... (I like it)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still like my 900ti's a lot,

my 900ti's are really nice and are generally delivering sound signature and texture exactly how I would want a dynamic can to,

BUT after seeing cetoole's fs ad for his ad2000 I've started up what will be an O2 rig

...It's strange how at Head-Case some of the best posts are in FS threads hahaha

If only I had never heard the k340's, I wouldn't be interested in Stax at all and could be happy with these smelly little titanium bundles of goodness

Elephas,

Will you be getting the W1000X to audition? :D

Haha, I was wondering who is posting in this thread.

I'm through with AT, they suck! Yeah, I know I'm the OP, this is HC, deal with it! Like I'm dealing with the repulsive title some reptilian wanna-be mod slapppped on me!

L3000 sucks! W5000 sucks! AD2000 sucks! W2002 sucks! W11JPN sucks! A950LTD sucks! ESW10JPN sucks! ESW9 sucks! CM700Ti sucks!

AT doesn't even have one top quality headphone. Sennheiser didn't either (dynamics) until the HD800, but they do now. At least Beyer is trying something with the T1, and AKG had the K1000. All AT has is a lot of crappy models.