Amazon Kindle

Edwood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Like the new screen is like the recent DX fresh you can expect the following contrast changes. Wish the grey background was more white, but blacker blacks likely helps.

71ogbDOo2cL.jpg

Still in my Kindle honeymoon, but I certainly read faster on the Kindle than iPad.

And speaking of displays, will be interesting when this arrives...

Hands-on with Qualcomm's Mirasol e-reader | Beyond Binary - CNET News

More info here: [url=http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/mobile-display-imod-technology]How mirasol Displays Work: Micro-electro-mechanical Systems (MEMS) Drive IMOD Reflective Technology | mirasol

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle 3 DX now. I'm using my Kindle 2 much more than I thought I would, and have always wondered whether I'd enjoy the larger screen. My only concern is that I'll get hooked on the better contrast (of 3 over 2) but not like the added weight (of DX), and then one day soon end up with a Kindle 3, Kindle 3 DX, and a Kindle 2. Of course, I could sell the ones I don't use.

i doubt you'd have any trouble selling off what you don't use. i just pre-ordered a 3 3G+wifi in graphite. i'm really looking forward to getting it.

Yup, that's what I figured. I'll probably use the Kindle 3 DX when I'm stationary and can prop it up on something (most of the time) and keep the Kindle 2 for when I'm traveling. I'm hoping that I won't end up buying a Kindle 3 simply because I don't like the size of the DX, but if that happens I'm sure I'll get over it. Decisions...

Anyway, you're in for a treat. My guess is that you'll love it.

i'm starting to get excited about the kindle 3. i've even been buying kindle books in anticipation. i wish the stupid thing would just come out already!

you'll love it man. I haven't read a traditional non-textbook book since I got my kindle last December.

the only bummer is when I want to read a book I can't get on the kindle. I just don't read the book. :(

i think you'll love the DX if you subscribe to newspapers or magazines.

I sometimes miss civilization, both when I'm in Cayman and when I'm on the road in the summer, so have been thinking about subscribing to either the NY Times or Chicago Tribune, which is what got me to thinking about the DX.

What makes the Kindle better than an iPad with iBook? I really do not know and would appreciate your help. Thanks.
It's not so much "better" as "different". Well, no, I think it's better (and several others will, too) for a variety of reasons. (1) The e-ink technology is an entirely different viewing experience -- not everyone thinks that this, alone, is worth it, but I do. (2) It's designed to do one thing (mostly): reading. So there's no touchscreen, no softbuttons constantly getting reprogrammed, or whatever. There's buttons for page forward and page back, and that's all they ever do. That kind of thing.

Again, not everyone is going to find this superior -- I do, but I'm not a power iPad user. I think if you are a power iPad user, you (a) get used to the screen, which, for an LCD, is quite nice, and (B) you get used to navigating within the confines of "that world" (iPhone/iTouch/iPad/touchscreens). So the advantage is not as much, and therefore outweighed by the weight of having two devices.

(Others feel free to pipe in, this is just my observation of iPad vs. Kindle society -- and yes, I do realize there are people who have both, and that having both sort of undermines my argument, so you especially, feel free to speak up.)

I find the iPad perfectly adequate for reading e-Books. Granted, I don't read while I'm outside under direct sunlight, so the contrast issue has never really come up for me. In fact, I barely even use iBook to read. I do most of my PDF reading on Stanza, and if I do buy anything, I buy it from Kindle and use the Kindle app on the iPad to read it. I'm sure as a dedicated reading-only device, the Kindle would be better, but I also enjoy the other things I can do on an iPad.

Kindle vs Ipad: Kindle has a much longer battery life, is lighter, easier to read with and is cheaper (plus the free 3g).

Ipad is much better reading for pdfs because of the zoom.

If you are doing a lot of flipping through pages (and not just reading a book straight through, the ipad might have an advantage... I don't really do this except with pdfs). Also, the new Kindle is supposed to be a little faster.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I never seriously considered a Kindle until the iPad got me used to tablets, but the iPad cannibalized my iPhone and MacBook use (neither of which I ever read a novel on). The Kindle paperbacks and hard covers.

I get the avoidance of too many gadgets, but once you get to current tablets, I think the necessity line has already been crossed for most. Besides with WhisperSync it's not a thought to move from doing the majority of long text reading with the Kindle, then switch to the iPad for the last chapter of backlit reading in a darkened bedroom.

Anyway will be interesting to see if the cheapest Kindle (and Nook?) hits $99 by the holidays. Soon after that readers may be the price of an iPad case or an e-book itself. ;)

Thanks for the responses, currently I have neither of the devices and I would use it indoors to read either Science Fiction or Fantasy books. I like the lower price of the Kindle and the 3G. However can I use the 3G to access my email account with my cable service provider? Lastly it seems the iPad size is the better compromise since I find the DX a bit large and the regular Kindle a bit small.