Amazon Kindle

Edwood

I bought the wife a Nook Color for this Xmas. While she liked the nook from last Xmas she didn't like the lack of a backlight, and she's been reading nook books on her iPhone for the past few months. Old habits die hard and after reading on the iPhone for so long whenever she goes back to the old nook she keeps trying to tap on the B&W screen or pinch to zoom. And with her aging eyes she has the text on the iPhone so big that there's maybe only 30-40 words on a page, which means a lot of page turns. She really needs a bigger screen.

I played with the Nook Color at Best Buy and I think it's perfect for her - it's fairly speedy and the display is as good as my iPad for reading books. Plus she doesn't want or need an iPad and this costs half as much. We'll likely hang onto the original nook, but I'm pretty sure she'll take to the new one like a duck to water.

Well, the wifey returned the Nook Color without opening it to try it out, because she's perfectly happy with reading on the iPhone and not having to carry around a second device for books. She says if she really needs a bigger screen then she'll just use the B&W nook that we already have (with a case that has a built-in light). We then went out and bought her some nice clothes that she can wear to work, using the refund. Sigh.... Why do women have to be so practical? :confused:

The Borders in SB is shutting its doors. It's not only e-books, but online music and video that has hurt Borders. The SB Borders has 3 floors (it's in an old bank building). Not too many years ago, the entire third floor was taken up by CDs and DVDs. Recently, maybe a quarter of the third floor had these products. Borders just never learned how to survive/thrive in the new book/music/video paradigm.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm wishing I'd gotten the nook now, my library does epub lending.

I like the nook for that as well. But if you have an iPhone, Touch or iPad that you can download epub docs from the library's web site, if they offer that service. For Library books you need something like OverDrive Media Console to read the Adobe ePub ebooks from the library website. That's what my local library uses.

• 4 weeks later...