Amazon Kindle

Edwood

• 3 weeks later...
yeah, that thing sounds like a giant killer. damn, if only i'd waited!

ah well. i love my Kindle so much that i'm getting married to it in a non-denominational civil ceremony, next week.

I'm hoping the ceremony will include lengthy inspirational readings from Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon.

• 4 weeks later...

After using it for two days, both my wife and I are liking our Kindle a lot. Being able to read & turn page with one hand easily is really huge for us.

The leather cover w/ light works well for our use - I love that I don't have to clip on an extra thing on to Kindle. Also, the whole uneven light issue with it is bit overblown, IMO. Yes, it definitely is not as bright on the bottom left corner of the screen, but it's bright enough and doesn't make it any more difficult to read.

I think the light selection (and obviously arm angle) plays a large part on the screen coverage. I've seen photos that looked horrible, but have no problems with mine.

And I don't get the Nook Color either. If I wanted a LCD I'd get a iPad or wait for future Android tablet. Can't imagine the market for color required (photo heavy mags or graphic novels - neither of which are obviously concerned with long text) above $249, but below $499 would be huge. Course if they create a foothold (as full Android tablets are seemingly taking forever to market), then expand functionality, they could have a brand to fight with.

color e-ink displays are still probably at least a year away.

I saw a news video somewhere that showed color e-ink technology with a brief explanation of it and if I remember correctly the woman stated that there should be some shipping by the end of the year. Maybe I misunderstood but I know it made me pause briefly when thinking about buying a new Kindle, that didn't last long though, after playing with my wife's I fell in love with so I ended up with one and the nice leather case with light for my birthday.

• 1 month later...

Assume most have already seen it, but Amazon now has perhaps its biggest competitor (and too bad the Kindle is one of the few not to support ePub)...

Official Google Blog: Discover more than 3 million Google eBooks from your choice of booksellers and devices

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/business/media/07ebookstore.html

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the wife a Nook Color for this Xmas. While she liked the nook from last Xmas she didn't like the lack of a backlight, and she's been reading nook books on her iPhone for the past few months. Old habits die hard and after reading on the iPhone for so long whenever she goes back to the old nook she keeps trying to tap on the B&W screen or pinch to zoom. And with her aging eyes she has the text on the iPhone so big that there's maybe only 30-40 words on a page, which means a lot of page turns. She really needs a bigger screen.

I played with the Nook Color at Best Buy and I think it's perfect for her - it's fairly speedy and the display is as good as my iPad for reading books. Plus she doesn't want or need an iPad and this costs half as much. We'll likely hang onto the original nook, but I'm pretty sure she'll take to the new one like a duck to water.