Amazon Kindle

Edwood

I may be the first in line for the Tablet, sight unseen. I also use the iphone Kindle app from time to time to read. However, it doesn't compare to the eInk screen. I don't know what the size or weight of the Tablet but I don't believe it will be as thin and light as the Kindle, which is a big plus. Add to that the great battery life and I see the Kindle surviving the Tablet's release.

What size Kindle is the preferred around here? The small book size or the larger one. Are there any drawbacks to one or the other?

Seems most people here, myself included, have the regular sized Kindle 2. It's lighter and more compact so it's easier to hold and to travel with. If you're on the move a lot and are using it primarily to read books (not magazines, newspapers or blogs), it's probably the best choice.

The DX would have been my choice if I had been expecting to use the Kindle mostly at home, or if I thought I would make use of the larger screen or the ability to view .pdf files, read in landscape view, etc. The DX has a number of features that the Kindle 2 doesn't but I didn't feel that any of them would be or particular use to me except for the fact that the screen itself was larger - but that's offset by bulkiness, weight, and price.

You should read the reviews on Amazon, both positive and negative, about each model. Not to bias your decision, but here's the "most helpful" rated negative review, which did influence my decision:

Amazon.com: Susan Lynn Umpleby "S...'s review of Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Di...

I figured I'd wait for them to work out some of the little issues they seem to be having with the DX and pick up the next version offered (hopefully with an SD slot).

shellyh has a DX and seems to love it. Hopefully, she"ll chime in.

I haven't seen the DX, but I can't imagine I would ever really want a larger screen than my regular Kindle. It's small, light, and yet has basically the same screen size as a paperback book.

Put it this way: I never find myself wishing that paperbacks used larger pages. However, I definitely DO find myself wishing that massive hardcovers were a couple pounds lighter, which the regular sized kindle solves nicely.

Now if they could just get moving on file management (user-created folders, etc.) it'd be pretty much perfect...

My wife and I both found we preferred reading on the iPhone/iPod Touch to reading on the Kindle. Eventually we gave our Kindle (v1) to my sister, who likes it fine.

There seems to be a consensus that the e-ink screen is easier to read from for most people, but this wasn't the case for either of us. We don't mind the iThing's screen nor its smaller size. Meanwhile the Kindle's page-turn delay was really big ongoing annoyance to me. We both like that the iThings are self-illuminating, and I like the ease of popping out of the reader to go look things up in Wikipedia (I'm that kind of geek). So after a few months of the Kindle getting dusty, off it went.

This seems to be minority reaction. But there it is, FWIW.

We are pretty likely to get the Apple tablet device, but I don't know how it will fit into our reading routine. We might well prefer a larger form factor for some books - but quite possibly not for all. We'll see eventually.

I bought my partner a Kindle 2 (non-DX) for Christmas and as Wayne said above, I have a DX and I love it. Using the non-DX version, I am definitely glad I got the DX. I like using the larger font (2nd to largest) since I often read with a book light in the dark. Using a large font on the Kindle 2 means changing pages more often. I don't find the Kindle DX to be too heavy. Of course, if I carry the Kindle DX, I pretty much always carry it in my backpack along with my Macbook Pro so the Kindle doesn't really add much weight. Most of the time, I use my Kindle at home though. I could imagine if one were reading on the subway, the Kindle 2 would be much better than the Kindle DX.

One thing that I use my Kindle DX is for reading/searching through math papers in PDF format. In my mind, it would be very difficult to do this on the non-DX version because the screen would be too small.

I also really like the auto-rotation on the DX but could live without it.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered this one. Hopefully it works out as I think the design has some nice features.

Kindle Covers, The New and Improved Maxguard Plus! | Kindle Covers

I think either of these would be great.

The MaxGuard looks pretty nice - similar to the one Wayne got I think. Does it have a hard cover?

Dinny, does the M-Edge have a hard cover or is it just a slipcase?

The MaxGuard looks remarkably similar to the case I have, but with the nice improvement of using two magnets to close the case (which eliminates the need for an awkward strap). My only concern would be their complaints about the smell. Mine doesn't have that issue.

I ended up ordering the following.

K DX: M-Edge Executive Jacket

K 2: M-Edge Platform Jacket

I would have preferred something like the MaxGuard Plus but it was out of stock for 3-5 weeks (at least through amazon). I was also somewhat limited in my choices since I wanted to order using amazon prime.

I like reading on the DX "sideways" so I chose the Executive over the Platform for the DX. Unfortunately, this restricted me to "red synthetic leather" for this one. Hopefully, it doesn't look too tacky or smell too bad. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I got the following email from Amazon a couple of days ago (because I own an amazon DX cover). I guess they are finally realizing there is a problem.

---------

Dear Kindle User,

We’re sending this note to remind you about proper attachment and use of your Kindle cover and about Amazon’s Kindle warranty. You can view instructions and illustrations here:

Amazon.com Help

ATTACHING THE COVER

To install the Kindle, open the cover and lay it on a flat surface. Then insert the bottom attachment hook on the cover into the bottom slot on the left edge of the Kindle. Rotate the Kindle to insert the top attachment hook. Then slide the switch down slightly to lock the cover attachment hooks in place.

Be sure to place the Kindle flat on the cover during installation. Do not tip the Kindle at an angle during installation, as that may cause the cover attachment hooks to bend.

USING THE KINDLE COVER

When using your Kindle with the cover, be careful to open the front cover only. If you open the back cover and pull the cover away from the Kindle, that may cause the attachment hooks to bend and could result in cracking or other damage to the Kindle.

THE AMAZON KINDLE WARRANTY

Your Kindle is covered by a One-Year Limited Warranty you can view here: Amazon.com Help: Kindle (U.S. Wireless) One-Year Limited Warranty

If the attachment hooks on your cover have become bent, or your Kindle has developed cracking or other damage near the location where the hooks connect to the Kindle, please contact Kindle Support by phone or email regarding warranty replacement.

You can reach us via phone or e-mail through our website by clicking the Contact Us button on our help pages at Amazon.com Help: Kindle or directly by calling one of these numbers:

Inside the United States: 1-866-321-8851, Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927.

For more information, please see the Warranty Service section of the Kindle Return Policies Help page:

Amazon.com Help: Amazon Kindle Returns Policy

Sincerely,

The Kindle Team

^ I haven't read the stuff at the links you've provided, but it's my understanding that the warranty is only good for one Kindle replacement! Don't know where I learned that, maybe here. But who has ever heard of such a thing? Design something with an inherent product defect built into it, then weasel out of the warranty with a "tough luck" one replacement only clause, even though the replacement unit you send out also has the same design flaw and is equally prone to failure. I don't like it at all, but hopefully won't ever have a problem with mine.

• 4 months later...