MPX3 Preamp Use

n_maher

No it won't. Now that you mention that, I just set up a tt. With the gain on the phono set at low, the gain for the mpx3/power amp is high, but not too bad. The problem is when I use either the mpx3 headphone out or he 007t/O2, the gain is way too low, especially with the 007t/O2. If I move the phono to med gain, the gain will be too high with my speaker amp and perfect with the headphone amp. This might be a problem.

Gratuitous tt pic:

AcousticSolid002.jpg

beautiful deck.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys. Amazingly I got it set up and sounding pretty good. I'll have to wait for May for jp to dial it in for me. Now I need to save some dough for the ultimate tt upgrade at the end of '08. Stay tuned. ;)

Well, I took the power amp out of the picture and moved in the integrated. Eliminated the mpx3 as a pre and using it as an amp only. The gain problem with the tt is a problem where the slight hum wasn't. The phono I'm using is one I am borrowing and I don't have a manual for the various settings. The only one I could figure out was the gain. I have another phono arriving soon for an audition that might permit some more fine tuning . I will give the mpx3 another chance as a preamp then.

so, I'm looking inside yet another MPX3, this one has a "XLR" jack wired up in the back. The pin 2 (left when looking at the back of the jack) is wired to the input signal and the ground is taken, not from the remain two pins, but the brass tab that is tied to the jack itself. Symptom is that when using this jack or the other RCA jacks, a bit of the other signals leak into the selected input if multiple inputs are turned on.

So, question is, is this wiring scheme for a XLR->RCA converter valid? Is this the source of this problem, or is it related to the switch itself?

??? bump ???

my MPX3 had dual inputs. if you had a different signal running into each, there was definite bleed through. made A/Bing sources a bit of a pain.

my guess is that it's not wired properly.

I guess I was wondering if isolating the inputs from the case (which is used as a ground) and/or removing that funky XLR jack wiring would help at all ...

So, question is, is this wiring scheme for a XLR->RCA converter valid? Is this the source of this problem, or is it related to the switch itself?

The ground should be wired to pin 1. Sometimes you can see pin 3 shorted to pin 1 like with the Cardas XLR->RCA adapters but it's better to leave pin 3 alone (floating), less chance of hum...