Speaker Cable

tkam

I have two sets of DIY Canare Starquad speaker cables and I find them nothing special, cheap yes but the sound is a bit muddy if anything, Not bad but not great.

When you say starquad do you mean the IC wire or did you use the 4S11 speaker wire which is technically also a starquad type cable. I've use cables built using 4S11 and don't find them muddy at all. But I've got a pretty pedestrian speaker rig so maybe my gear isn't resolving enough.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of speaker cables, anyone here has experience with both Canare 4S11 and Anti-Cables?

Yes, I have. And while I can't make any meaningful sonic comparison I can say that I greatly prefer working with the Canare. The anti-cables need to be the exact length you need or they require annoyingly precise coiling to make them look decent and still have a tendency to resemble a spring when coiled.

Yes, I have. And while I can't make any meaningful sonic comparison I can say that I greatly prefer working with the Canare. The anti-cables need to be the exact length you need or they require annoyingly precise coiling to make them look decent and still have a tendency to resemble a spring when coiled.

That's actually good to know - didn't know about that bit regarding the Anti-Cables. It looks like I'll be getting myself some 4S11.

Oh, I know. Thankfully, they haven't really shown too much liking to cables - yet.

Lucky you, mine likes to run behind the stereo/ht rig :( . She hasn't chewed or clawed any of the cables yet but I still like to try to keep her from getting back there.

When you say starquad do you mean the IC wire or did you use the 4S11 speaker wire which is technically also a starquad type cable. I've use cables built using 4S11 and don't find them muddy at all. But I've got a pretty pedestrian speaker rig so maybe my gear isn't resolving enough.

I used the 4S11, but if you have seen any of my cable builds, it might be the builder, not the cable. I did say "a bit muddy" not real bad just slightly and yes they were used in a fostex 166 based system, but it could be me.