Step 4 of my 12-Step Plan: How To Stop People From Laughing At Your Amps

Elephas

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that Nate was giving you the "complete SP experience"? :stick::)

looks like nate is going to have to fall silent and stop answering tyrion's emails for a few months. ;D

actually, I'm sensing a business opportunity for someone who wants to strictly do after-market upgrades to SP amps.

Haha, 2 years, hahaha. I'm glad there's someone who's been waiting longer for ES-1 upgrades than me. Wait a minute. Doesn't that mean I'm behind him in the line? Uh oh.

I think there might be a lesson here. I'll give it to you for free, instead of charging you for it like I'm going to with my 12-Step Plan.

=> In order to avoid the SP blackhole, buy a used amp and don't send it in for upgrades.

I'm still waiting to receive the Siemens ECL86 and ECC83 tubes. I've tried the Sylvania quad that was included with the amp, Telefunken, Mullard and Philips-brand ECL86. One of the Telefunken tubes died after a few hours. It was scary for a moment, when I thought one side of the SR-Omega was broken.

I'm still waiting to receive the Siemens ECL86 and ECC83 tubes. I've tried the Sylvania quad that was included with the amp, Telefunken, Mullard and Philips-brand ECL86. One of the Telefunken tubes died after a few hours. It was scary for a moment, when I thought one side of the SR-Omega was broken.

Ouch!!! I'm going to go and hug my SR-Omega now... :P

• 1 month later...

Nice Elephas very nice. I really hope you get your ES-1 and Supra XLR soon. :) If you are happy with your Zana Deux, your Supra XLR might be worth the wait. I recently bought a Supra SE and it certainly sound better than the Zana Deux in my book. If your Supra XLR is as good as many claimed, you are in for a treat.

Nice Elephas very nice. I really hope you get your ES-1 and Supra XLR soon. :) If you are happy with your Zana Deux, your Supra XLR might be worth the wait. I recently bought a Supra SE and it certainly sound better than the Zana Deux in my book. If your Supra XLR is as good as many claimed, you are in for a treat.
He put those up.

what is that cool amber colored headphone stand?
Yeah, seconded -- whut eez eet? Looks nice.
I knew that put those up for sale, but man I wish he will wait a little bit longer. I really love the way my SP Supra sounds though.
I love my SP Supra++, too. Nothing better (that I've heard, anyway), except maybe an electrostatic rig.

what is that cool amber colored headphone stand?

That's a cheap acrylic headphone stand, sort of a translucent black color. I think it tried to copy the Qualia stand. There's also transparent and maybe other colors available.

It's a good thing that it is higher than the Qualia stand, which is basically unusable with most other headphones because it's too low and their cables get squished up at the entry points.

You can see it here with the SA5000. I can't find the stand that came with the SA5000. :(

SA5000onstand.jpg

I have this sneaking suspicion that you need a second rack... ;D

You are entirely correct, sir. I can only use one amp at a time with my current rack. I can add another shelf (that's the advantage of this crappy rack), but tube amps get hot! I think they should be placed on the top shelf. After taking the photo, I had to move the headphones away from the Zana Deux, it is the hottest headphone amp I've used to date. Hmm, the Aristaeus isn't too warm, it can probably sit on a lower shelf with enough clearance.

I forgot to post a "full frontal" shot. Yeah, I need another rack. :(

ZanaDeux1.jpg

Those massive heaters in the Zana make for a very toasty amp. ;D

I've been looking at equipment stands and the only one I'd want is an extra wide SRA Craz. Silly money for something like this but it is very sturdy and there is nothing better. I really do like the idea of a 2.5 wide rack as we use a lot of abnormally sized equipment so it is easier to cram 3 Stax amps in a row. ;)