Step 4 of my 12-Step Plan: How To Stop People From Laughing At Your Amps

Elephas

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know if you haven't received your stand by early next month.

Back to the thread topic... what was the thread topic exactly? ??? Dunno, I'll just blab a bit.

I've been listening to the Grado PS-1 with the Zana Deux, and I think I can appreciate certain appealing and enjoyable qualities of being a basshead. I'm not a basshead. I'm more of an airhead + details and refinement junkie. Details and refinement are the top two priorities for me. Refinement isn't easily defined, though, and I think it's a combination of many qualities, so let's just say I like details and everything else.

The PS-1 and L3000 driven by the Zana Deux should please most bassheads. The refined bassheads, not the ones who value bass quantity over all else. The L3000's bass seems to me better balanced and integrated than the PS-1's, which can seem overwhelming and over-emphasized. But with certain songs, maybe Rihanna - "Umbrella (Jody Den Broeder Lush Club Remix)," the PS-1 demonstrates how it can make a non-basshead wonder why he isn't one, when being one is so fun.

I think I've lost some weight during the last 30 seconds by wiggling my butt around the chair.

hey, i wonder if it would be possible to even make an opamp based stat amp?

i mean just for the novelty factor of it...

There is one design available but it doesn't use them for the output stage. There you can use either a 6SN7 or some transistor. I was in some data sheet for an opamp but I forget which.

Do you like your R10s and dynamics headphones better now with the Zana Deux?

Yes. However, I haven't tried most of the dynamics yet. *Braveheart Scottish soldier voice* "They are too many!" ;D

Every one I've tried so far sounds better with the Zana Deux than with the other dynamic amps I've heard.

I read up on the 6SL7 tubes and have prepared several NOS types. I like the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY black glass, brown base tube very much.

I also got three pairs of the 6C33C. One pair has the Winged-C logo and was made in the early 70's, but one of the tubes died after only an hour playing, so I'm stuck with a single tube. These are sold on eBay in pairs for $100. The other two pairs are the regular, cheaper type ($25 each) made in the 80's. Craig provided a pair of the rectifiers, and I got two more pairs just to be "safe." When it comes to tubes, I like feeling "safe." :)

I'm especially enjoying the PS-1 and L3000 with the ZD. I think these two in particular sound significantly better with the ZD than with either the Raptor, AT-HA5000 or Lehmann Black Cube Linear. I think I'll have to give the edge to the L3000+ZD over the W5000+HA5000.