Just finished a Double Flexy rack

Salt Peanuts

Well, it took me a bit longer than I expected, but I finally finished my second TNT Flexy-based rack, this time going for a Double Flexy.

Some pics, and as usual, they're pretty bad. I may try to take better pics during the day with better lighting.

doubleflexyfront.jpg

doubleflexysideangle.jpg

Few things to note after building two racks based on TNT Flexy design-

• At least in my area, Home Depot carries better quality MDF than Lowes. Lowes do, however, carry bigger sheet of MDF, making it cheaper (and easier) if you need to get many shelves, which I did for the Double Flexy.
  • Having built both 4-legs and 3-legs version, 3-legs version is much easier to build. Also, 3-legs version is so much easier to level it's not even funny.
  • Finishing MDF is a pain. I finished mine using multiple coats of Danish oil and it worked well enough, but MDF is so porous it just kept on absorbing the oil (which I knew would happen). If I ever take the rack apart, I may paint it now that shelves have been effectively primed.
  • Assuming you're not going to finish/paint the MDF shelves, the rack can easily be built in an afternoon.

I bought my threaded rods at Home Depot, though Lowes also carries them. They are 5/8" in diameter and 3 feet in length. They also come in length of 6 feet, but nothing in between 3 and 6.

I was wondering how that mdf would soak up the oil...

Entirely too well, I'm afraid. Though the pics don't show it, they do look better than plain unfinished MDF - lighter spots on the pics are reflection of flash.

If I figure out an easy way to do it, I'm going to paint the shelves and finish the sides with real wood. I think I need to get a router for that (wood on sides), though.

It looks like you didn't use neoprene washers as TNT suggests. Is that the case? If so, do you notice any vibration issues? I would guess not as you've built a Flexy before, but just wanted to make sure.

I've not had any vibration issues, but having not compared it to one with neoprene washers, I don't know the effect of washers on vibrations. IIRC, on Flexy FAQ, they clarify that neoprene washers are mostly there to keep the shelves from getting marked by the metal washers. Also, neoprene washers were nearly impossible for me to find in enough numbers without special ordering them. I supposed I could've used something like this http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/washers.htm.

I also didn't treat the shelves with damping paints or tar sheets either.

I just thought of more questions and can't tell from the pictures. What are you using for footers and where did you get them. Were they at Home Depot too?

Right now, there are no footers. I was going to use some acorn nuts, but I counted wrong and I didn't have enough on hand. I'm going to have to order them online, since neither Home Depot nor Lowes in my area carries them in the size I need. Very annoying.

I thought about adding threaded spikes, but hassle involved with it - drilling threaded rods, finding spike-base so not to damage the floor - made me not do it.

I had them cut. I bought a sheet of 49" x 97" and had shelves of 24" x 16" and 25" x 16" cut. The shelves on the left are 25" x 16" boards. Extra inch is there to compensate for the fact left shelves have less effective space since the overlap occurs at lower point in the shelf space.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Awesome job, Haj. I just surfer to find the TNT site (great info there) and now considering building one of these. The Opus' somewhat unique size, along with the size of my amp(s) always makes finding the perfect rack a challenge, so the ability to build a custom rack (mini-double?) has many advantages. I'll no doubt be picking your brain for building tips.

Dave, if you're planning on building a smaller one (or other than 3 feet height), I suggest checking out the Mcmaster-Carr. They have everything you'd need for a Flexy, aside from MDF, and have threaded rods in variety of length. Heck, they even have threaded rods with Black Oxide finish. Of course, they're wee bit expensive (one 3' rod costs ~$50).

how much weight can the flexy hold? would it handle 75lbs per shelf just fine?

No idea, but I suspect that would largely depend on the shelf size (and thickness) as well as the size of threaded rods you use. The most I had on one shelf was 50 lb, and I've had well over 120 pounds for a period of time. I've also sat/stood on my old one and it held perfectly fine - I weigh about 200.

EDIT - As a some vague point of reference, Salamander Archetype, which is basically a commercial version of Flexy, has a shelf capacity of 150 pounds. It uses 23" x 16" shelves with 3/4" thickness (mine are 11/16" thick). Also, their rods are 1/2" diameter, IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

how much weight can the flexy hold? would it handle 75lbs per shelf just fine?

I think I'd double up the MDF for the shelves for that kind of weight. Contact cement would do nicely. The other option would be to mount a couple MDF rails under each shelf to keep the shelf from flexing. 1" thick rails would effectively double the strength of the entire shelf.

• 4 years later...