Your Guilty Pleasure....

overlunge

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

It's my time to confess a few guilty pleasures of mine:

- Beyonce. I know it's pop-dance crap, but I like her singing and can enjoy the groove of her tunes. Father forgive me for feeling good listening to her last album.

Same goes for other of these pop divas like Aaliyah, Madonna or even the infamous Pussy Cat dolls :-[

- Amy Winehouse. I know her music is just yet another soul-pop act, the lyrics are only so so, mostly her despair for being different, and she's quite a made up product. However there's something in her voice and the way she sings that I find deeply emotional. Since Billie Holiday I've not found a singer that moves me that much for the sincere pain into her singing. I'm growing older I guess.

- Supertramp. Oh yes, I love their four albums from Crisis, What Crisis? to Breakfast in America. Don't ask, while Crime of the Century might not be considered a bad one, I know the rest aren't that good, however they're the type of music that has it all for me and which I can enjoy on repeated listening as much as Pink Floyd, Beatles, Rollings or Led Zep.

Something similar, but less intense, happens to me with Police (also Sting :palm:) and Dire Straits.

And if all that wasn't enough to deserve punishment, now the bomb: I like Phil Collins too. I love his "face value" :sadcat: Please be gentle ;)

- Supertramp. Oh yes, I love their four albums from Crisis, What Crisis? to Breakfast in America. Don't ask, while Crime of the Century might not be considered a bad one, I know the rest aren't that good, however they're the type of music that has it all for me and which I can enjoy on repeated listening as much as Pink Floyd, Beatles, Rollings or Led Zep.

Supertramp is awesome, just as good or better than Pink Floyd, Beatles, Rollings or Led Zep in my book :D. Especially Led Zep and late Floyd, cos I hate that stuff :P

P.S. I like Pet Shop Boys, yeah throw tomatoes at me now :eek:

Nein!

:( Warum?

P.S. I like Pet Shop Boys, yeah throw tomatoes at me now :eek:

I like 'em too. Don't feel guilty... :P

In a west end town, a dead end world

The east end boys and west end girls

In a west end town, a dead end world

The east end boys and west end girls

West end girls

West end girls

Also...

Break the window by the town hall

Listen, the siren screams

There in the distance, like a roll call

Of all the suburban dreams

Lets take a ride, and run with the dogs tonight

In suburbia

You cant hide, run with the dogs tonight

In suburbia

Guys, I'm glad you like Supertramp and don't think it's just "easy prog rock" for uneducated adults. Some of my friends think they are, hence my guilty pleasure liking them ;D

I don't think personally it qualifies as prog rock, more like pop with progressive sensibilities. :P

Nothing to be ashamed of though, they made some pretty good songs.

Really? The first two have bad sexual innuendo in almost every one of their songs which makes them seem desperate and sex-crazed, they both have weird ways of singing, and I don't think I even need to explain Elvis Costello's weird voice and weird dancing.

I definitely prefer weird to just plain bad, though, so I guess that's what makes me listen to them from time to time. A good example of weird done good is Talking Heads.