Warner goes Blu-Ray exclusive

tkam

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See around me there isn't much market (out in the woods) so anyone that has one still thinks that it's worth more than it is and wants full value for any games included. One add I looked at today wanted $750 for a PS3 + 8 or 9 games and looked thrashed. I think I'll stick to the waiting game for now.

That sucks. But if you really wanted one around the next NY meet, I can probably look for a good deal for ya.

I expect HD-DVD may claw back a little in terms of standalone player sales over week 3 of January given Toshiba's large price drops, but that's going to be a short term boost if any and may not even last into week 4. I doubt HD-DVD is going to exceed Blu-ray in stand alone player sales ever again like it did much of 2007. In terms of disc sales I'd be amazed to see HD-DVD break 25% at this point. There's rumors going around of an upcoming PS3 price drop to $299, and if that happens I think that with any future graphs we'll be struggling to spot the red line.

I expect HD-DVD may claw back a little in terms of standalone player sales over week 3 of January given Toshiba's large price drops, but that's going to be a short term boost if any and may not even last into week 4. I doubt HD-DVD is going to exceed Blu-ray in stand alone player sales ever again like it did much of 2007. In terms of disc sales I'd be amazed to see HD-DVD break 25% at this point. There's rumors going around of an upcoming PS3 price drop to $299, and if that happens I think that with any future graphs we'll be struggling to spot the red line.

That would be awesome as I'm looking to get a PS3 soon.

well i'm hoping one wins sooner rather than later, because i'm sick of waiting

Do you think HD-DVD has even the slightest chance of becoming a perceived competitor once again let alone actually winning the format war? I honestly thought maybe Paramount might have made a difference when they went HD-DVD exclusive last year, but even the Transformers release wasn't able to win a sales week against Blu-ray. I really think this war has been over for months now. I own players for both myself so don't especially care either way, but HD-DVD looks awfully dead to me. Toshiba, Universal and Paramount just seem reluctant to bury the corpse as of yet.

Dude, it's over. Blu-Ray won. The only question is, whether or not it will survive at all (cf. SACD vs. DVD-Audio, both of which are firmly in "niche" territory, if not "deathwatch").

Amen to that. Given what I hear BluRay has for problems (no one player other than the PS3 really works) I'm not confident that it will survive. If nothing else I hope that it will teach the industry as a whole that competing formats are good for no one.

Do you think HD-DVD has even the slightest chance of becoming a perceived competitor once again let alone actually winning the format war?

well considering i have a PS3, no I don't. i've been rooting for blu-ray this entire time

If nothing else I hope that it will teach the industry as a whole that competing formats are good for no one.

it's too bad that they'll probably never learn...

Amen to that. Given what I hear BluRay has for problems (no one player other than the PS3 really works) I'm not confident that it will survive. If nothing else I hope that it will teach the industry as a whole that competing formats are good for no one.

Most of the existing standalone Blu-ray players are using poorly designed off-the-shelf ASICs for their functionality. These chips are easy to work with from a design point-of-view but they perform poorly compared to the software based PC-like HD-DVD players and the PS3. I'm not expecting this problem to exist in the upcoming profile 1.1 or 2.0 players; Blu-ray works best with multiple processor cores doing the decoding and better ASICs will be on the way anyway.

I just watched the simpsons movie on Blu Ray and it had amazing visuals. I have a cheap ass $300 Samsung BR player I bought around christmas time. I dont know all the tech jargon, because I prefer to focus on audio most of the time, but it does what I need it to do; play movies. I think all this revision stuff is blown way out of porportion. I don't care if I cant have picture in picture 10 months from now; when I watch a flick, I dont want any other distractions. I doubt any currently-existing blu ray titles will even have these features be available when new players are out. I think its just upcoming releases. I would have got a PS3, had I not been using the 47" westy: there is a known compatibility issue with these 2 devices. So even the lauded PS3 is not without fault. I say stop worrying and just buy a player over $200. There is always something better coming out, and that will look cheep and pathetic 3 years from now.

My view, feel free to disagree :angel:

I agree. HD-DVD has some flashy features, but personally I'll never use most of them. A Blu-ray disc designed for Profile 2.0 (there are none out today) will still let you play the main feature on a profile 1.0 player and that's all that matters to me really. The only slight problem with existing standalone players is that some are slow. Discs take a while to start playing and menus are slow to respond. The PS3 just responds better and loads faster. The only real feature coming in new players soon that I feel is worth waiting for is DTS Master Audio support.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like business has decided.

I work for a Sony company, make PS3 games and yet still don't own one so can't even play Blu-ray.

Thats nothing; I own a blu ray player, and in one circumstance (Live Free or Die Hard) I still cant even play Blu-Ray :rant:

Ive tried 2 discs of the movie in my Samsung player; no dice. Finally bought the plane jane DVD. Great movie, btw.

Blame Samsung not the blu-ray format. The Samsung blu-ray players are notoriously shitty. I've had zero issues playing blu-ray discs with my PS3.

Ironically enough, lately I've had a bunch of problems with my toshiba hd-a35 and hd-dvd's.