CD storage ideas!

luvdunhill

well, I'm on the look out for something a bit more high density for my CD collection, and I'm considering something like this:

storage-viewpak.jpg

Has anyone gone to something of this nature, and did you regret it? I'm looking at the Viewpak XG sleeves and then a nice box or case to put them all in:

viewpakyh8.jpg

I'm not sure I'd go this route for everything, but it would definitely be nice to have all those Daniel Barenboim CDs that I never listen to handy for coaster use :laugh:

mod edit: rehosted the cdbinder.com image. Their certificate expired and I was getting a warning every time I clicked this thread

• Like 1

That's how I store my dvds. I have 2 drawer boxes from ikea that we've stained, and use the tyvek sleeves. I store the boxes in my basement. I store my cds on the mac, tho :).

well, I'm on the look out for something a bit more high density for my CD collection, and I'm considering something like this:

storage-viewpak.jpg

Has anyone gone to something of this nature, and did you regret it? I'm looking at the Viewpak XG sleeves and then a nice box or case to put them all in:

viewpakyh8.jpg

I'm not sure I'd go this route for everything, but it would definitely be nice to have all those Daniel Barenboim CDs that I never listen to handy for coaster use :laugh:

mod edit: rehosted the cdbinder.com image. Their certificate expired and I was getting a warning every time I clicked this thread

I like to keep my CDs in the original jewel cases, and I keep them on a Boltz CD rack.

Burned CDs I keep in a Slappa CD wallet, which while a bit unwieldy at times, protects the CDs well.

I personally would not want to use a system similar to that described in the OP, because I'd still have all my jewel cases I'd need to keep somewhere.

I like to keep my CDs in the original jewel cases, and I keep them on a Boltz CD rack.

Burned CDs I keep in a Slappa CD wallet, which while a bit unwieldy at times, protects the CDs well.

I personally would not want to use a system similar to that described in the OP, because I'd still have all my jewel cases I'd need to keep somewhere.

x2 I also use Boltz racks and like to keep the CDs in the jewel cases.

Craiglist is your friend. I picked up all my 3 Boltz CD racks and Boltz audio rack from local sellers on craigslist.

I can't find any pics right now, but I just use corrugated cardboard storage boxes -- the kind they give you when you move offices. The one I have in front of me is 22x15x12, comes from a single piece of cardboard that folds in a funky way so that the floor is reinforced by flaps that are held by the handles. 3 rows on the bottom, 2 rows on top, and any oddball boxsets fit nicely in that middle section between the handles. If you don't mind your fingers getting crowded when you grab the handles, you could probably squeeze 3 rows on top as well.

I have lots of Slappa cases broken down by genre and alphabetically. Their new D2i version gives the greatest flexibility because the actual sleeves have inter-locking ends so that you can add more in and move them around without taking CDs and booklets out of the sleeves to make room on fixed pages. Overall I love this system and it allows much easier changes/additions to your collection.

d2i.jpg

d2%20banner3.jpg

cd-case-technology.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just built a simple rack. In fact when I built this some 12 years ago I was able to find prefinished Birch drawer material and ply for the back at my local cabinet builders supply.

The CDs stick out proud of the shelves by about 1/2" inch for easy extraction.

cds708x940pb7.th.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have lots of Slappa cases broken down by genre and alphabetically. Their new D2i version gives the greatest flexibility because the actual sleeves have inter-locking ends so that you can add more in and move them around without taking CDs and booklets out of the sleeves to make room on fixed pages. Overall I love this system and it allows much easier changes/additions to your collection.

I like the Slappa idea.

I have looked at the jewel sleeves, but have not bought any yet.

DiscSox http://www.mmdesign.com/cd-storage-sleeves.htm

JewelSleeve http://www.jewelsleeve.com/index.html

CD Sleeves http://www.jazzloft.com/p-34281-space-saving-cd-sleeves.aspx

I also have too many CDs laying around, my storage is filled with boxes full of CDs.

I have to definitely say the Slappa cases and D2i sleeves are pretty cool and work extremely well. :prettyprincess: I just bought THIS to actually use to transport my laptop setup to a meet. It was a decent price, especially given the build quality. I was not really familiar with Slappa products but I am very impressed with their innovations and attention to detail. I may also use it (plus probably another) for storing my CD's since I mainly use my FLAC rips now. If so I may have some Boltz wall racks for sale, but they are heavy suckers and shipping would probably be more than the rack is worth. Since I am not local to anything or anybody they'll probably just end up in the garage. Anyway, if their other cases are as well constructed then you should definitely check them out.

I have to definitely say the Slappa cases and D2i sleeves are pretty cool and work extremely well. :prettyprincess: I just bought THIS to actually use to transport my laptop setup to a meet. It was a decent price, especially given the build quality. I was not really familiar with Slappa products but I am very impressed with their innovations and attention to detail. I may also use it (plus probably another) for storing my CD's since I mainly use my FLAC rips now. If so I may have some Boltz wall racks for sale, but they are heavy suckers and shipping would probably be more than the rack is worth. Since I am not local to anything or anybody they'll probably just end up in the garage. Anyway, if their other cases are as well constructed then you should definitely check them out.

First, glad to see you found this little hell hole of a forum. Second, I may be interested in the Boltz racks. I'll see you on the 19th and we can talk about it.

• 1 year later...

Slappa has file drawers with their great sleeves that protect the CD but have a good clear front for art work. Problem is that they are thicker and therefore fit less in a given container. I still like them and have a couple that I am using for newer music to make it easier to get to than the cases. The sleeves all fit in the cases, too, so you can go back and forth easily.

cd_acs_box_2_large.jpg

Slappa has file drawers with their great sleeves that protect the CD but have a good clear front for art work. Problem is that they are thicker and therefore fit less in a given container. I still like them and have a couple that I am using for newer music to make it easier to get to than the cases. The sleeves all fit in the cases, too, so you can go back and forth easily.

fantastic!

• 8 months later...