Interconnect recommendations

Pars

I had more or less gotten out of the cable game the past few years, as it didn't seem to me to be a cost effective area to get into. I am using old interconnects... Audioquest Turquoise mainly, though I have a couple of pairs of AQ Ruby and 2 pairs of HGA Super Silvers (their first IC) which I am not currently using.

I started toying with perhaps looking at something more modern... Grovers maybe? It could be DIY also... VH Audio Silver (but these appear to run ~$120 for a 1M pair, and up depending upon RCA chosen).

If I went into this, it would have to be something inexpensive (<$100 per 1M pair preferred... I know that will elicit some :rofl:). I noticed a pair of Grover S cables on HF that I am contemplating buying (there were a pair of UR5s also, but these seem to have fallen out of favor?). Any comments, recommendations, etc. would be appreciated.

Yeah, that is why I posted this here... to see beyond the hype/FOTM etc. Not that the Grovers are that, but they verge on it at the other place, and I had noted the recent constant upgrade cycle.

I need to replace the coupling caps in my preamp... probably a better use of money, but any recommendations will still be considered.

I had also toyed with taking a pair of the HGAs and using the wire to do a set of VH Audio silver configured cables just to see if there is anything there...

I had also toyed with taking a pair of the HGAs and using the wire to do a set of VH Audio silver configured cables just to see if there is anything there...

Care to elaborate on what the VH Audio configuration is? If it's just special litz braiding I think that HGA's braid already qualifies.

I have a couple of pairs of AQ Ruby ...be something inexpensive (<$100 per 1M pair preferred... I know that will elicit some :rofl:).

Some of those old, discontinued AQ IC's were quite nice. The Ruby was very respectable IC's IMO, but their AQ Diamonds were really good.

The VH Pulsar IC is the only one in your budget range, but I don't think they'll be "better" than what you already have. Also, Pulsars take a gazillion years to break in b/c of the thick, solid teflon dielectric, and every time you turn on your system, they need some time to sound good again. Impossible, I know, but I can clearly hear this effect..

If I wasn't watching every dime I spend, I'd make you an offer on those HGA silver ones...why aren't you using them again? I have felt absolutely no impetus to upgrade my cables beyond my Pure Silver Sound silver cables -- if anything, I need to get some more -- either them, or something similar, such as the White Zombie Audio ones. I, myself, was also going to try the Anti-Cable interconnects. And, after having heard the QED speaker cables, would also be interested in the QED interconnects.

If I wasn't watching every dime I spend, I'd make you an offer on those HGA silver ones...why aren't you using them again? <snip>

I don't really know why I'm not using them. I've never sat down and just listened to cable changes, and usually don't even pay attention to what is where, but instinct was telling me that I liked the AQs better... :doghuh:

Might have to toss a pair in and try that just to see if I can even really hear any difference or not. Sounds boring as hell...

Here is a nice pair of Grover cables ;)

GroverU6.jpg

That Picture is from about a year ago.... I think he is on to about the U11 by now... seems to be a new cable as often as there are new iPods.

So what, like 3 ribbons stuffed inside a straw per conductor? Interesting (I guess).

:kitty:

Any idea what the blue shell is? Remnants from some coax or something?

Here is a nice pair of Grover cables ;)

GroverU6.jpg

That Picture is from about a year ago.... I think he is on to about the U11 by now... seems to be a new cable as often as there are new iPods.

this pic has been posted here before and to repeat my previous impression having owned the UR4 thru UR8s and three versions of the "S" cable (currently own the white "S" cable) this does NOT look anything like Grover's cables. all the Grover cables i have seen, handled, or received over the years have never used anything remotely similar to that particular silver connector pictured nor that blue hosing. previously digipete also made similar commentary that, that cable pictured above does NOT look like Grover's.

Iron_Dreamer heard my UR8s compared back-to-back with my Cardas Neutral References and i am almost certain he preferred Grover's in my system. i lent EdipisReks my black "S" cables for a few weeks and he came away with positive impressions and thought about buying them as did 5687 (sacd lover) when he also listened to them for about the same time period.

by the way, Grover's cable design is now patented.

OK... although Grover has stated on head-fi that he does (or did) use Switchcraft RCAs (he has them silver plated.. nothing wrong with those either). A guy has a 1M pair of white S cables on head-fi right now for $90 shipped, which seems pretty good... if I want to get back on the cable merry-go-round. The more I read, it seems like the BS is piled higher and deeper than when I got off it (2000 or so).

Well then Grover sells counterfeit cables. That is the cable of a U6 minus the tech flex. I just wanted to reterminate them with better plugs and that is what I saw.

this pic had been posted previously a long while ago and i don't recall anyone even mention that you took the photo. the different plug really made my bs detector go off and i have seen his cables minus the tech flex, but it isn't uncommon for Grover to use different colors, though, i have not seen that particular shade of blue before.

MOT, selling what i might ask?

this pic had been posted previously a long while ago and i don't recall anyone even mention that you took the photo. the different plug really made my bs detector go off and i have seen his cables minus the tech flex, but it isn't uncommon for Grover to use different colors, though, i have not seen that particular shade of blue before.

MOT, selling what i might ask?

The junkie switchcrap plugs he used had bent and would not hold a tight grip anymore so I cut them off. I was as shocked as you when I opened them up to discover that. If I were grover and looking to save on cost I wouldn't be too picky with the colors my supplier offered me on the tubing if it meant a discount.