Speakers & power amp recommendations for $1600-$2K?

Salt Peanuts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was looking at some Magnepans and my gf shot them down saying they look funny. LOL. Magnepans probably wouldn't do so well with cats either (don't have them now, but will again soon enough). She really likes how the Strata Mini looks and told me that I should buy them, fully aware of my budget. I had to explain to her that I need to budget for an amp since I only have a wimpy TEAC digital amp now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-LSR-4328P-Studio-Monitor-Pair-103552667-i1152811.gc

MikeG fron Headfi has a pair of these and they sounded really good he has them set up in near field arrangement. They are not my be all speaker but performed well at their price point. If you have a GC near you pick up a pair and take them up on their 30 day return policy. You'll know in a few days if they are for you and since they are powered the amps included you'll just need stands. If you get monitor sized speakers do not discount the need for decent stands and the cost they add overall.

So I was looking at some Magnepans and my gf shot them down saying they look funny. LOL. Magnepans probably wouldn't do so well with cats either (don't have them now, but will again soon enough). She really likes how the Strata Mini looks and told me that I should buy them, fully aware of my budget. I had to explain to her that I need to budget for an amp since I only have a wimpy TEAC digital amp now.

I hung a pair of MMGs from the ceiling once via fishing line, sounded great and would be cat-proof-ish...

I've been becoming more and more of a Tannoy fanboy. Haven't heard a Dual-Concentric model I didn't like. There's something innately musical and coherent about the DC designs, IMO. Tannoy doesn't spend much effort marketing or distributing in the US (probably with good reason; the hifi market is insane), so they're highly underrated here.

For $2K budget I'd jump on these:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1207012471

Eyris DC3 for $1500, but they've been on the 'gon for quite a while now (since Tannoy is largely ignored here) so you could probably bargain down some more. If not, they're still well worth the $1500. They're an easy load, and in my experience with the Dimension TD10, the Tannoys love vintage amps. $500-$700 is actually a pretty decent budget for a good vintage amp if you're patient. I've had great success with a pair of Heathkit W4A (quintessential tube midrange) monos and the McIntosh MC2100 (killer bass). In fact I'm currently trying to sell my expensive VAC amps; expensive amps not needed on a Tannnoy.

I've been becoming more and more of a Tannoy fanboy. Haven't heard a Dual-Concentric model I didn't like. There's something innately musical and coherent about the DC designs, IMO. Tannoy doesn't spend much effort marketing or distributing in the US (probably with good reason; the hifi market is insane), so they're highly underrated here.

For $2K budget I'd jump on these:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1207012471

Eyris DC3 for $1500, but they've been on the 'gon for quite a while now (since Tannoy is largely ignored here) so you could probably bargain down some more. If not, they're still well worth the $1500. They're an easy load, and in my experience with the Dimension TD10, the Tannoys love vintage amps. $500-$700 is actually a pretty decent budget for a good vintage amp if you're patient. I've had great success with a pair of Heathkit W4A (quintessential tube midrange) monos and the McIntosh MC2100 (killer bass). In fact I'm currently trying to sell my expensive VAC amps; expensive amps not needed on a Tannnoy.

Welcome back Mike!

I like those old big-ass Tannoys of old with the one 15"dc like the Tannoy Westminster Royal. Honkingly huge monsters but effortlessly dynamic with massive presence (in every way). I've loved them since I first heard them. Way too big to fit in most rooms.

I may get to hear something similar soon, if the local hifi shop gets in the 15" Glenair Prestige as planned. Same driver size as the Westminster, but smaller cabinet (still pretty damn big). I've heard the 10" dc in two forms, the Glenair 10 and my Dimension TD10; both excellent. Damn, the Glenair 10's looked so elegant. Wish I made more money :-[

I was thinking about grabbing the Focal Chorus floorstanders that were on A'gon, but they were sold before I got to them, good thing since they were bit out of my budge at this point. Incidentally, it appears my listening room/area will be fairly small at either 14X12 or 16X12, which will probably limit the speakers I could use.

So aside from Reks, has anyone heard Thiel 1.6?

I've heard several Thiels -- a coworker and Dave (dave1 here) both have pairs, though I'm not sure which models. I think one is a 2.x and another is a 3.x.

They're good, but require a grunty amp (one uses a modwright modded carver, and the other uses a Bryston). They have a very slightly hyped frequency response (which is well within my personal parameters of what I like, but Hirsch, for example, is not particularly enamored with them -- he's a B&W [Matrix series? I forget] guy).

The setup my coworker has is some of the best sound I've ever heard. It includes a MF A308 CD player and a Krell Pre.

I would get an in-home audition if at all possible (and yes, buying it used and then reselling it counts as an in-home audition).

I was thinking about grabbing the Focal Chorus floorstanders that were on A'gon, but they were sold before I got to them, good thing since they were bit out of my budge at this point. Incidentally, it appears my listening room/area will be fairly small at either 14X12 or 16X12, which will probably limit the speakers I could use.

Ensemble AV in Nashua has every current production Thiel model set up. And they'll let you use your own source or choose different amps.

I like the 1.6s alot. But would give up a little lower freq. and look for a used pr. of the 3-way PCS stand mount Thiels. They are (to my ears) a much more refined and smoother sound.

• 2 weeks later...