Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Just a quick note/hint for Touch users - I just discovered this last week, it's probably old hat for everyone else - regardless of what app you're in (notes, web, maps, etc.) if you double tap the home button it brings up a small menu that allows you to change track up or down, pause, adjust the volume and even go directly to the music app. I find myself using it all the time now that I've found it.

You can set that to do a few different things if you want. Settings --> General --> Home Button is the path.

Do you have an iPhone? Because I don't have that option under Settings --> General.

Perhaps it's an iPhone thing and not an iPod Touch thing.

Based on what I've read subsequently, this story has been over-egged. It's not a remote kill-switch, rather a mechanism that prevents applications from accessing the iPhone's Core Location API unless specifically user authorized to do so. Basically, it ensures that random apps can't secretly keep track of your movements via the built-in GPS -- which doesn't seem like a bad thing to me?

They're obviously making it up as they go along. Assume things will settle down as the ecosystem matures.

Has anyone found any truly compelling apps yet? I use Remote all the time and Pandora is pretty cool on the go in the car. But I haven't been motivated to spend a dime in the App Store yet.

Based on what I've read subsequently, this story has been over-egged. It's not a remote kill-switch, rather a mechanism that prevents applications from accessing the iPhone's Core Location API unless specifically user authorized to do so. Basically, it ensures that random apps can't secretly keep track of your movements via the built-in GPS -- which doesn't seem like a bad thing to me?
Not so sure about that...that was from the guy that wrote the book -- literally -- on iPhone development: link. Edited by Dusty Chalk

The source is good, but the details remain elusive. Time will tell.
I agree with your conclusion. It strikes me that there really is no argument that the functionality is there, though. They can spin it any way they want, reassure is that they will only use it for benign purposes, but...time will tell. And it will be told by people like him.

Has anyone found any truly compelling apps yet? I use Remote all the time and Pandora is pretty cool on the go in the car. But I haven't been motivated to spend a dime in the App Store yet.

I've been using those two a lot as well as OmniFocus for the iPhone and the desktop client. So far, so good. I always have my iPod Touch with me, so I'm capturing my ideas about current and future projects for work. I've been using it a lot in the last week and I can't tell you how much it's changed my life.

The software is based on the book "Getting Things Done" by David Allen...it's changing how I do everything, in a very very good way.

Other than that, the paid apps I like are:

iDrink

a Dice Poker Game

Koi Pond (I know, lame and silly, but it's fun)

I've got tons of free apps, some which I still have on the phone and others I don't anymore, mostly free games.... ChartFight is a free game that's essentially a Battleship ripoff. The cool thing is that it can discover other iPhone/iPod Touch users nearby (via WiFi) and you can play them remotely. My wife and I had fun playing that game.