Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

just got back from the genius bar.

walked and and told them the probs and how i did multi hard restores. he looked at it and noticed the phone was not picking up the wifi at the store and told me he is going to reset the settings to see if that works. it did not work so he bought out a shiny new "Kurwa" (thats my iPhones name) and said here you go...well i got a new 1st gen phone. all in all i was there maybe 5 mins!

the people at the orland park apple store are so nice, the dude i was talking to a few weeks back about the airport extreme and the remote app comes up to me and asked how was the bar business going. i was shocked he remembered, and no i didnt smell like a bar neither..

right now i am loading my backup from old Kurwa, i am kind of sad my first baby is gone...oh well!

Apple Rocks My Socks for Customer service!!! its easy to see how they have somany fan boys, you back up your customer they will return. i was worried about today cause i did not know how it was going to go but it was over in 5 mins with nothing but smiles all around.

and so does Dell and kaspersky, Dell is sending me a free restore disc cause of micro's service pack 3 locked my lappy and kaspersky helped me install their software earlier!

i was Surpised Dell is doing this to a out of warranty lappy and the problem is me loosing the disc and windows for locking the lappy up. good now i can install my new 160gb drive on it when the disk comes in to go along with my 2gigs of Ramm i just put in and my wood lappy case!

i am such a sucker for customer service, it's something i never take for granted

wish i could find a girlfriend with this kind of customer service..wait...

So i bought this component video out cable from apple today cause i had to go back in the mall (date thing), i tested a downloaded "Toy Story" on a the 50 plasma i have behind the bar (its one of three 50s while the others are 42s).

the video out was not that bad at all, actually nothing different then a dvd. the video was from itunes store so maybe i can convert in higher res myself with other movies i have. i have played around for some time before about converting movies, i tried the free stuff and settled in on avex dvd to ipod converter...it works easy and it works. i am not really shooting for blue ray 1080P quality niether, just something that looks good on a 50 from a 10 feet away.

i was thinking of having movie night at my bar on the slower nights, you know take a request for a movie a week before, on the night of the movie we order pizza and have a bunch of chips and popcorn and stuff for the customers or something.

the cable costs the same as the composite Apple sells, but only the component works on the new nano, classic, touch and iphone. i figured i will be using my iPhone or my Classic and i will mostly be hooking them up to hdtv's with RGB inputs anyway so why not go with a better video connection even for simple ipod video formats? the cable is pretty nice and pretty long so you have plenty of room to reach around the tv itself. it even comes with a charger plug so you can even charge your ipod/phone while playing the videos.

i do all of my movie watching from my computer (32 screen) so i have been buying up the itunes movies instead of dvds (i think there really is no point to dvds to me anymore).

YAY another use for my phone!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So last night was the first official "Movie Night" at my bar thanks to the iPhone and video out cables hooked in the big screen behind the bar.

It was really weird cause everybody was silent, this is a 4am bar and from 12-2am on a week night slow as it may be it's never that silent! people would walk in the bar and just stop and look cause the silence was such a surprise. i had all other tv's and sound off but the main tv with its volume cranked so anyone sitting at the bar could hear. at one point towards the end of the movie we had 22 people in a 65 capacity building All dead silent!

lot's of people that never show in the week made it out just for the movie.

I remember cleaning up the Pizza on one of the tables in the back at 1:30am and all you could hear was the compressors in the coolers turning on...weird! it was so unlike a bar and more of a theater that you felt weird talking.

The movie i played was an itunes download of "21", everybody was sooooo into it! they all said next Tuesday at 12 they will be back and they don't want to know the movie i am going to play then.

I tried to load a bunch of HD video podcasts in the iPhone from itunes but needless to say most did not load and the few that did had a playing error once selected on the phone..

iPhone will not load anything High Def as of now. the itunes download quality on the 50 is actually really good, atleast DVD quality on such a big screen, i am using handbrake now to try some different presets to convert some dvds i have on the lappy.

i wonder what use i am going to find for the iPhone next at my business, fucking thing pays for itself every new way i find to apply it in my business.....wow!

also of course there are already talks about sending video out to other tv's, hooking the audio into the 70v sound system in the bar, and even trying out a Hd projector covering the entire dance floor area (12 by 12 foot screen size) with blueRay for the future if this Movie night keeps pulling in even something of a crowd.

I thought about it and all but rite now its small term (i mean its run off my phone here).

of course i understand it will be kept on the small and the projector install was not only been thought of for other reasons but to make room on the dance floor (can move out the dj booth and big screen tv).

the same rules can be said for music yet every dj in every bar and club makes their living off not following the rules. not charging at the door and if it came down to it i would be more then happy to show the few little dollars that this will bring in ontop of an average night, in fact if you have change for a ten i could settle it out rite here...haha

of course they don't work like that in the dickhead world huh?

i believe your not supposed to broadcast even an fm radio station also yet how many places do you go and hear an fm station?

I get the jest and as far as i roll i do legit, i give this one or two more weeks till something else comes along, esp now that football season is coming.

it was weird how silent the place became and how people got involved in it, surprisingly.

if it gains a following at all (which i doubt) i will back it off, you know technical problems like the iphone locking up then no movie night.

we pay legal for the dish on every tv so i wonder what the rules are if the movie is coming from the dish? the contract we have for the dish is full legit to show the public, i wonder..

next thing i am going to test out is running a photo slide show from the classic/phone for advertising on the unused tv's at night, like show pics with text for beers we carry and stuff like that. that was one reason why i bought the video out cable.

years back payper view boxing matches where policed around the neighborhood bars, hardcore really! they sent a letter saying you owe us this much for not paying up and showing according to rules, then they try settling it with you for much less. funny part is we got the letter but there was no boxing match on our tv's, actually there was a big football game on and we had the security cameras to prove it. it came down to who's equipment was responsible for the broadcast (the owner of the source) and proof they had to have to back up their claim. our Lawyer (not one of my personal attorneys) sent a letter back telling them whats the deal and we never heard back. they pulled a monster cable type bully move..but the bars that did do the deed had to settle..not a fun thing.

again posting about this on a forum may seem faulty but for them to pull any weight they will need lots of hard proof, not something a user on a headphone forum said..

• 2 weeks later...

A couple deals right now...

Tonight, TUAW has a couple of last-second deals for you from the iPhone App Store:

Air Sharing Although Avatron's Air Sharing software will eventually sell for $7, they're offering it for free for the next couple of weeks. Air Sharing allows you to mount your iPhone or iPod as a wireless drive on any Mac, Windows or Linux computer according to the Application Description writeup on iTunes.

Text Guru For the next 24 hours, you can pick up a copy of Brancipater Software's Text Guru app for just $0.99. It normally sells for $5. it provides an iPhone-based multi-function text editor that includes cut/copy/paste (inside the app, not between apps), file sharing and email support.