Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Best SS-amp Today; Cost NO Object?

• Beta 22
    • Rudistor RPX-33
    • Rudistor RPX-100
    • Rudistor RPX-1000
    • Rudistor RB-010 (B)
    • RSA Apache
    • Headamp GS-X
    • Larocco Headcode
    • Singlepower SS1
    • Krell KSA-5
    • Naim Headline 2
    • Meier Corda Opera Amp/Dac
    • TooleAudio Balanced Mosfet Amp
    • Headroom Balanced Max

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... if only someone had posted a way to do this...

Here is what you do:

have a website somewhere that does not have www.head-case.org as the prefix, i.e. www.betta22ampsforeva.com.

Link to that page from HF. In that page, place java code (i dont have it in front of me, so I'll make it tomorrow). The java simply tells the browser to go to www. whatever page you specify .org :)

You really should try to audition a ?22 aerius, I think you'd be suitably impressed. It may not sway you from tubes, but I'll bet it would be at the top of your list for SS amps.

It's on my list of things to do, I plan to get around to it eventually but it's probably going to take a while.

Here is what you do:

have a website somewhere that does not have www.head-case.org as the prefix, i.e. www.betta22ampsforeva.com.

Link to that page from HF. In that page, place java code (i dont have it in front of me, so I'll make it tomorrow). The java simply tells the browser to go to www. whatever page you specify .org :)

how very helpful! thank you so, so, so, very much!

I didn't vote as I haven't listened to any of the amps you posted. If I were to get one of those listed based on my research, taking into account impressions of users I have learned to trust their sonic ear, as well as price to apparent value ratio, the one that strikes me the most is the beta 22.

Does that account as recommending something I have never heard? If so, yay!!! I'm cool you drool.

All you need to do is link to another page with a java re-direct.

Well, I won't go there. I am not interested in participating in the Headcase vs Headfi war which I didn't even know excisted before yesterday. FYI, the link on Headfi has been removed and I plan on keeping it that way. I might just start the poll there as well.

The results are quite interesting though. Much love for the Beta22. Did most of you build it yourself or ordered it premade? And if so, where did you order it as it appears more than one builder offers them?

I voted for the Headamp GS-X.

I didn't have the opportunity to listen to this amp, but I've been told that the differences between the GS-X and a Gilmore Reference are difficult to identify (if at all) and the Gilmore Reference belongs to my personal Top 2 of headphone amps (the other one being the ATH DHA 3000).

Well, I won't go there. I am not interested in participating in the Headcase vs Headfi war which I didn't even know excisted before yesterday. FYI, the link on Headfi has been removed and I plan on keeping it that way. I might just start the poll there as well.

The results are quite interesting though. Much love for the Beta22. Did most of you build it yourself or ordered it premade? And if so, where did you order it as it appears more than one builder offers them?

I had mine built for me, as my skills with a soldering iron are sadly much less than my skills with a table saw, and those are questionable.

I picked a builder who wasn't offering his services, but who had built one for himself successfully. I thought it might help us both, as he might get some deserved attention, and I'd get a nice amp without the wait of the well known builders that were swamped with work.

That worked out exactly as planned, and was a very pleasurable experience on my end at any rate.

I have projects and plans with other builders as well (I kind of like collecting gear from people I admire), but also have a current project in the works with the builder of my ?22. That speaks to my satisfaction with our original projects.

I can only speak for me but I built it myself and then stupidly sold it. :| One point of clarification though, I'm not aware of anyone currently accepting orders to build beta22's. MisterX did for a while and I'd certainly ask him if he would again, thrice did for a while but I'm not sure that he's going to continue and I've seen at least one truly awful build by someone on head-fi who did a custom build for someone. So my advice on that front is choose your builder wisely (not necessarily directed at you Constrastique), it's a pretty straightforward build but there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

and I've seen at least one truly awful build by someone on head-fi who did a custom build for someone.

Hmmm, maybe in a custom vintage audio case?

I know that naamanf recently took on some builds (and you'd most certainly get more than your moneys worth there), but I don't know if he plans to do any more.

I'd recommend the builder of mine, but I'll let him chime in himself if he has any interest.

I here Nate's not very busy though! >:D

Hmmm, maybe in a custom vintage audio case?

I ain't sayin' nothin'!

I know that naamanf recently took on some builds (and you'd most certainly get more than your moneys worth there), but I don't know if he plans to do any more.
He appears to do truly top-flight work. I'd really be interested in seeing some of it live at some point and meeting him, seems like a cool guy.

I here Nate's not very busy though! >:D

I've quoted my prices for another beta: single-ended, two chassis = $3k, balanced, dual PS, two chassis = $5k. It's not worth it to do it for less. >:D

I've read all afternoon about the Beta22 and my head is exploding! There's so much and I know so little! It really really looks impressive and it's high on my list now.

Just all these configurations.....I wouldn't know what to choose.

It's just that I want to buy this kind of amp once and be done with it. That's why price is not really a problem, well as long as it's no more than 2k, still have to think about a matching source....an ipod will look rather...weird...

If it's really a step up from the Rudistor I had in mind first (please confirm harsch lol) then I'll let that idea go and go for the better option.

It just is kinda frustrating I don't have the upportunity to listen to all of these to make up my mind and find out what would suit my needs best.

I've read all afternoon about the Beta22 and my head is exploding! There's so much and I know so little! It really really looks impressive and it's high on my list now.

Just all these configurations.....I wouldn't know what to choose.

It's just that I want to buy this kind of amp once and be done with it. That's why price is not really a problem, well as long as it's no more than 2k, still have to think about a matching source....an ipod will look rather...weird...

If it's really a step up from the Rudistor I had in mind first (please confirm harsch lol) then I'll let that idea go and go for the better option.

It just is kinda frustrating I don't have the upportunity to listen to all of these to make up my mind and find out what would suit my needs best.

What do you want to know about the Beta22? I'm sure you could get most or all of your questions answered here since there are both B22 builders and owners on this forum.

Once you decide if you want single ended or balanced the configuration choices aren't overwhelming.

edit: though the discussion at Headwize is more technical I based my decision to get one after seeing how it measures and the information already available here.

It's just that I want to buy this kind of amp once and be done with it.

You probably are best buying one used here on HC. In addition to too few builders, there is (to my knowledge) much involved in building one, and alot of parts involved, hence the high prices of new units. You can save a bunch of clams getting one used. I've seen 2 or 3 offered on Head Case in the last few months, one of which found its way to me :dance: