Best Tube Amp Today? Cost maybe an object

Which should I build?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I build?

• TubeLabSE 45
    • Aikido
    • Over-the-top Morgan Jones or Waarde
    • Raven/Karna/L'espressivo (differential)

My interest in tube amps has been growing since around last October, and now that I have my own Aikido hybrid I'm only even more interested. I'm personally more interested in what I can DIY, but I'm cool to hear whatever. I fully expect that the ZD, HD2, the Luna, and the SDS (is this just a really charged up Waarde?) to be part of the list, but I like to hear about what else is out there, again especially in the DIY realm (like dsavitsk's cool looking shunt-regulated, single feed, spud amp).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you really want one of these... notice the price

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EMXAMPANIV

Wow - hasn't that been out for a few years...and they still haven't sold out the 100 units worldwide! I guess Nik's stint of calling it the "world's best" system with whatever headphones he was using at the time, wasn't long enough to sell 100 :laugh:

aerius, that looks awesome but the cost is probably a bit out of my league for now, and I'm not really sure my skills are anywhere near to handling DHT yet.

I've heard the Dragon, but it was briefly and with music I wasn't familiar with. It sounded good. I've never heard an SDS, though I'd like to since it always gets so much praise. At least these are all things I can work with. EarMax Pro is a Morgan Jones (correct?) and Wheatfield HA-2 and most (all?) of SP stuff is based on Van Waarde (right?), so I have some options.

-edit- I've also considered making something of a clone of the Dared VP-20 as it's gotten good comments with headphones. I'm also interested in pentodes, triode-strapped or even using them in a SEP circuit.

just to give some more details, The Dragon is the only headphone amp i've ever heard that actually provided sound stage. that's really something. the Zana Deux doesn't do that, but it still sounds amazing, especially with HP-2s.

I'd rank the soundstage of The Menace above both of those

you really want one of these... notice the price

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EMXAMPANIV

i heard it with the l3000s, not impressed at all with it.

the best tube amp i've heard to date is the Eddie Current HD2. i would like to hear Mikhail's high-end stuff, but when the opportunity has presented itself i've had repeatedly bad luck because it's not working right, in transit to SP for repair or already there--sad but true. plus SP high-end stuff tends to easily break $4K and that's the inexpensive ones.

just to give some more details, The Dragon is the only headphone amp i've ever heard that actually provided sound stage. that's really something. the Zana Deux doesn't do that, but it still sounds amazing, especially with HP-2s.

the balanced ZD provided what seemed like doubled the sound stage of a single the ZD and HD2 (single ended), but most amps and should I probably say headphones as well don't really convey sound stage well (like speakers). i'd liked to hear the dragon. did it do the sound stage thing with the HP-2s?

i've heard the HD2 prototype on more than one occasion (once for more than a week), and while it's very good, i don't think it's ZD good. well sorted MPX3 good.

are you sure about that.. :-\

Craig only made one and it belongs to jp#s. DHL damaged it in shipment and when Craig fixed it plus doing a few changes and modifications did it turn into this special amp, imo.

IMG_2618.jpg

i don't even think this amp has left California in it's current state.