swt61's beautiful work

boomana

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are two frankly stiffy inducing, gorgeous works of art which are sadly ruined by having to be stuck onto the dull plastic meh of the sennheisers. Its like an art gallery putting a couple of fabrage eggs on top of a railway sleeper an some breeze blocks.

Gosh they look yummy though. Like caramelised cherubs.

very, very nice.

Are those done with a router?

Yes. I first traced the outline of the plastic grill onto the wood, then I used my scroll saw to cut just outside the line. I then used my oscillating sanding center to sand right to the line, and smooth things up. Then I set the fence on my router table to cut the little recess that fits inside the headphone housing.

Next I set the fence so that I could leave about 1/4" thickness in the sides, and started with a plunge cut, then used the fence to guide my cut all the way around. It took several passes, raising the bit about 1/4" at a time. Once I had that done I drilled my port hole with a drill press and Forstner bit. Then I turned the cups over and finished hollowing out the cups with the Forstner.

And finally back to the router table to clean things up with a bearing guided bit. As well as using part of a 1" round over bit to ease the top outside edges of the cups. The sanding was low tech, because I simply didn't have enough area to use any of my random orbit sanders. But hand sanding builds character. :laugh:

Those are two frankly stiffy inducing, gorgeous works of art which are sadly ruined by having to be stuck onto the dull plastic meh of the sennheisers.

strangely, all the HD650s at canjam has led me to blow the dust off my HD650 and break it back out. its still quite a nice headphone, and I like the way it treats vinyl. listening to "in rainbows" with it right now.

I had the HD650 for a time and always missed them in an idle sort of way, they were first in the trade train I went on which stopped at the HF-1, Ergo 2, K340, SR-001 stations among others. I got to hear them again at the Scotland meet alongside the Ergo 2, which I hadn't been able to do before.

I don't miss them anymore. I do still miss the Ergo 2 though.

My plastic meh comment was directed at the look of them compared to the wood cups, rather than the sound though.

strangely, all the HD650s at canjam has led me to blow the dust off my HD650 and break it back out. its still quite a nice headphone, and I like the way it treats vinyl. listening to "in rainbows" with it right now.

It wasn't until getting the ?22 that I appreciated the Senns. So much so that I bought a pair of 580s at the same meet.

I think the stainless mesh will help it match the Silver/Grey of the 650 housing somewhat. Actually the plainness of the headphone may work to set off the woodwork even more. But that was a very nice comment Duggeh, and I apologize for the stiffy. :P

It wasn't until getting the ?22 that I appreciated the Senns. So much so that I bought a pair of 580s at the same meet.

It was hearing the HD650 on so many different amazing amps that made me give it a second look. I think it'll rock on the incoming balanced ?22.

It was hearing the HD650 on so many different amazing amps that made me give it a second look. I think it'll rock on the incoming balanced ?22.

While there are a lot of good choices to amp the Senns., the balanced ?22 with balanced cables for the Senns. is a particularly high end choice IMO. It's just a great match, and shows just how incredibly high the Senns. can scale.

Not long after I first joined the other site I bought some 650s. I had a Rega Ear amp at the time. I was completely underwhelmed, and sold them after about a month. But hearing them balanced on my ?22 was a completely different experience. All the things I had liked about them were there in spades, but the soundstage issues, veiled sound and somewhat sloppy bass I had heard with the Rega were completely nonexistent with the ?22.

I ended up with 580s at that Dallas meet, but I do plan to get some 650s before long, and spend some quality time with them in my studio environment. If they impressed me so much in meet surroundings I can only imagine I'll love them even more at home.

The amp faceplate you did for me is definately a masterpiece Steve... Too bad the bottom left corner broke off when shipping it back from CanJam. :(

I affixed it back on there and it doesn't look that bad and isn't very noticable, but I was pretty pissed when I saw it. I'll post some pics soon so you can see.

The amp faceplate you did for me is definately a masterpiece Steve... Too bad the bottom left corner broke off when shipping it back from CanJam. :(

I affixed it back on there and it doesn't look that bad and isn't very noticable, but I was pretty pissed when I saw it. I'll post some pics soon so you can see.

Omg you should of just left it with me along with your E5 ahaha...

So does this mean you guys do Senn woodies now?? >:D

I'm not going to push them, because they're fairly labor intensive, but I'd be willing to make them upon request.

man those look like shit..

i would be willing to save you the shame by taking those off your hands anytime..

you let me know...

:-*;D

Yeah they are pretty fugly, and I would send them your way just to get them off my hands, but these are for a Head-Fi customer, so the laugh's on him. ;)

I'm not going to push them, because they're fairly labor intensive, but I'd be willing to make them upon request.

MOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOT

MOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOTMOT

That's awfully brave for a guy with so many projects on my workbench! >:D