Rack Attack

I've never had an audio rack before, and I think its probably about time I get one. My days of horizontal desk annexing have come to an end, now that I will be adding a transport, and, in a few months, possibly a transport/player combo, or just an upgraded player.

My home rig currently a Bel Canto Dac3, an Ear HP4 amp, and coming soon, Oppo Digital transport. I plan on adding a Hydra conditioner as well.

There is always the possibility that the HP4 will become my office amp, should I spring for the Millet/TTVJ 307A if it remains available.

Here is what I'm debating buying:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SMA5

asalamarc5.0blk.jpg

Thoughts?

The archetype 5 will hold all that just fine, it's not going to be the most sturdy rack though just by the nature of it's design. If you got it with the optional side-panels (i think they still offer those) it'd be a more rigid rack.

I just bought and put together two of the exact same racks yesterday.

Mine are quite solid feeling. And I have some tips as to easy leveling.

First I'd suggest ordering from Amazon.com, I got the racks for $185.00 ea. and free shipping. And the shipping was as quick as regular UPS ground.

With the money you save there I'd buy the Mega Spike accessory spikes...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SMSPIKE

You'll want the 5/8" spikes for the Archetype.

Then when the rack arrives decide how tall you want each shelf.

Install the mega spikes all the way onto each rod, then I'd screw the nuts and washers right on top of the spikes, and set your first shelf there. That will automatically make your first shelf level. I cut a block to the same distance I wanted between each shelf (for me that was three blocks at various heights), and used the block as a gauge between each shelf. You could cut 4 blocks for each shelf, and set the shelf on the blocks until you tighten up the bolts. This worked very well for me.

Once I had all the shelves attached I simply turned the Mega Spikes at the bottom to level the rack.

I have a giant Maple slab on top of my racks which adds to the sturdiness, but they felt quite sturdy once the nuts were tightened good.

Until I move into an apartment, the rack would be going in the basement, which has tile floor, over concrete, irrc. I have a thin area rug; should I lay down some sort of wood floorboard underneath the rack for the spikes? Or some sort of spike cones?

I'm not sure how level the floor is, hopefully not that bad.

The spikes come with hard rubber floor protectors.

And you'll have at least an inch of adjustment with these spikes. I seriously doubt you'll find any floor that out of level in less than four sq. ft.

No-one's buying Dusty, Dusty is not for sale.

And you couldn't handle two of me.

We're all for sale, it's only a matter of agreeing upon the right price.

Me, I'm a cheap whore, I can be had for what's in your couch cushions.

As for the VTI racks, I've seen them, and they seem nice and stable.

I'd like to see thicker shelves, but for the price they're a pretty good bargain IMO.

My dream racks are Steve Blinn designs, but I need to knock over a bank first.

1200976001zq1.jpg

1200976002pm2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...