The Psychology of the price we pay

Dusty Chalk

Are you saying that double-blind studies have shown that expectation bias is real, to a statistically significant degree?

Why, next you'll be saying that there may not be a causal correlation between sound quality and price in audio gear.

And where would that leave us?

The horror ...

Are you saying that double-blind studies have shown that expectation bias is real, to a statistically significant degree?

Why, next you'll be saying that there may not be a causal correlation between sound quality and price in audio gear.

And where would that leave us?

The horror ...

No. This is more than that. According to this study, people that pay $xxxx for their cables really do enjoy their systems more because of the cable purchases. Even if the $xxxx cables are physically no different from regular cheap cables.

Basically, this is saying that the "if I think it sounds better, why not?" people are actually right in a way.

No. This is more than that. According to this study, people that pay for their cables really do enjoy their systems more because of the cable purchases. Even if the cables are physically no different from regular cheap cables.

Basically, this is saying that the "if I think it sounds better, why not?" people are actually right in a way.

Just a flipside to this.......

I always feel MUCH better when something I buy sounds/performs/tastes good, but I know I haven't wasted money on useless crap that offers no tangible/measurable improvement.

So I guess that's why people love the Edition 9?

(jk)

No, the edition 9 sounds better because of the ultra hard clamping that squeezes all common sense out of the listener over time. Eventually you get to the point where the headphones sound good; it's like drinking a lot of beers and then going home with 'Reks... eventually it seems like a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
No. This is more than that. According to this study, people that pay for their cables really do enjoy their systems more because of the cable purchases. Even if the cables are physically no different from regular cheap cables.

That's why everyone should by ALO cables

Why are there so few happy people is the world I wonder?

How could we ever know this either way?

Anyway, I read about a study (too lazy to look for it) that found depressive types could more accurately estimate the scores they would receive on an academic test just taken. In this little instance at least, the dark ones were more engaged with reality.

How could we ever know this either way?

Image:World happiness.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why do you say there are few happy people in the world? The vast majority of people I've run across outside of major cities have been happy.

I agree. Most people I know 'seem' happy enough, and research suggests that most people globally are happy enough. However, there are detractors who question whether our subjective assessment of our own happiness is based on delusion; that we don't actually know what real happiness is.

Harvard Gazette: Sissela Bok stalks the notion of happiness

This wine study appears to offer support to the delusion theory.