Relative Importance of Power Cable/Power Conditioner?

barmar46

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because some people don't want to run through the house unplugging everything every time there's a storm. And aren't home 24x7.

Just as an FYI ... I've lost two computers and a TiVo to storms and all were on surge protector/filter. Sometimes it still won't matter what you do. :(

Just as an FYI ... I've lost two computers and a TiVo to storms and all were on surge protector/filter. Sometimes it still won't matter what you do. :(

Surge protectors are not made to handle storm surges. They are made to handle surges from your power company. If you get a close enough lightning strike, there is very little you can do to prevent damage.

Surge protectors are not made to handle storm surges. They are made to handle surges from your power company. If you get a close enough lightning strike, there is very little you can do to prevent damage.

Yup, and often times with stuff like a Tivo or anything connected to a phone line if you don't have the phone line running through protection you can get zapped that way too. I've seen first hand a Tivo taken out by a surge through the phone line, wasn't pretty

well, it depends. the good ones can handle some storm surge, but not close strikes.

I have never seen one that was made to handle storm surges. Every single one I have seen and used to sell specifically state in its documentation that they are not liable for storm surges. In other words, they will not pay out if a storm struck, since all the good ones have 'insurance'.

that's unreliable power. Bad power is inconsistent voltage. Especially undervolting. How new is your neighborhood?

How much undervolting are we talking about? I've got a UPS on my computer set up that shows the voltage (can't say for sure how accurate it is). Its often showing 117. Maybe I've seen it down to 114. Whatever the value it is, it seems fairly stable and doesn't show wide fluxuation at any particular time. It is an older house.

From European Voltage Harmonisation (its on the Internet, so I'm sure it is correct)

"2.2.2 North America

ANSI C84.1 "Electric Power Systems and Equipment - Voltage Ratings (60 Hz) sets the preferred nominal voltage at 120V and allows a range of 114 - 126V (240V nominal, range 228 - 252V). Equivalent Canadian spec is CAN3-C235.

Voltage at a 120 volt nominal single phase receptacle should be 110 to 125V under normal conditions.

However, the California Public Utilities Commission has specified that the service voltage shall be kept in the range 114-120V, with some exceptions. This was done because some studies showed a reduction in energy consumption at the lower voltages."

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of power conditioners, have anyone ever attempted to build one of these?

"DIY Hydra" Power Conditioner on 10 Audio

yup, I've played with this "design". I found a really nice donor chassis at some point to use and recently saw an even better chassis somewhere (I think at thlaudio). Seemed like a good improvement, but not on the level of say a isolation transformer or good filtering in the component itself.

yup, I've played with this "design". I found a really nice donor chassis at some point to use and recently saw an even better chassis somewhere (I think at thlaudio). Seemed like a good improvement, but not on the level of say a isolation transformer or good filtering in the component itself.

About how much did the project cost you? I am curious because I have nothing between the wall and my components. This seems like a cheap project I could commission someone to do for me but I know nothing of this stuff.

About how much did the project cost you? I am curious because I have nothing between the wall and my components. This seems like a cheap project I could commission someone to do for me but I know nothing of this stuff.

hm, I don't know. I had most of the parts on hand. Probably $20 or so, plus the power strip?

Here's the chassis I recently saw that would work really well:

Odio Power Stripe Box Main

• 3 months later...