The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Nice shot Falkon, is that the 17-40?

Jon L, any daylight samples yet. That particular shot would need some pretty dramatic dynamic range to capture well. I have never used my 35 for that type of shot but have enjoyed it for typical street shots and portraits.

Edited by VPI

Recently, I picked up a ColorRight - as it was on a relatively large discount from the retail and I had some balance left on my PayPal account. While I can't comment on how it compares to other white balance discs, I'm rather impressed with the results over the last two days of using it. I'll see how it holds up as I try it out in more different setting/lighting.

Jon L, any daylight samples yet. That particular shot would need some pretty dramatic dynamic range to capture well. I have never used my 35 for that type of shot but have enjoyed it for typical street shots and portraits.

Just took some random shots. I do like how the 35L holds up in daylight but will be comparing to my 35 F/2 to see if the money difference is "worth it." I do like the bokeh of 35L so far.

bush1.jpg

bokeh35.jpg

img8559y.jpg

I just received the Canon 35mm F/1.4L, and unfortunately it's already 8 PM. I have read about 35L's problems shooting into harsh lighting, but there's some terrible reflections (see the purple/blue brights spots in the middle of the frame) and horrible purple fringing, which was so bad unless I "defocused," which is why the rest of the buildings are not sharply-focused.

The purple/bright reflections are the first time I've seen that with ANY lens, except when cheap UV filter, etc was attached to the front at night. The front glass of the the 35L basically is a flat, thin glass element similar to a filter, actually! I sure hope this lens lives up to the hype in the daytime :(

...<snip>

hmmmmm, Jon L ...

I think you are coming off as a bit of a lens snob here (and I'm sure in real life you are not that). The Canon 35 1.4 L is an amazing lens when coupled with the right body (Canon FF) and scenes. It was neither designed nor intended to shoot directly at a high power light source. Ah, but when used as intended ... low light, sunrise/sunset, street photography, etc, there is not much that will be its equal. It was my favorite lens when I shot with my Canon 5D. Herewith are some samples ...

35-14L-Samples8of8.jpg

A very tame bird ...

35-14L-Samples5of8.jpg

No flash, iso 1600, wide open

35-14L-Samples3of8.jpg

Heavily cropped ... 1/100 @ f/2.5

Canon35L-1.jpg

hmmmmm, Jon L ...

I think you are coming off as a bit of a lens snob here (and I'm sure in real life you are not that). The Canon 35 1.4 L is an amazing lens when coupled with the right body (Canon FF) and scenes. It was neither designed nor intended to shoot directly at a high power light source. Ah, but when used as intended ... low light, sunrise/sunset, street photography, etc, there is not much that will be its equal.

I was simply concerned whether my 35L sample was a bad copy or not since I have never seen these purple/blue reflection spots (not purple fringing) shooting the same scene at night with other lenses, including 50F/1.8, 50F/1.4, 85L, 35F/2, etc.

I'm feeling much better after spending a little more time with the 35L, which is obviously superb glass. I still wonder about the reflection spots, though, and wonder if other 35L users have noticed similar reflection spots shooting into light, similar to the 4 rows of multiple purple/blue spots in this photo?

img8510r.jpg

I was simply concerned whether my 35L sample was a bad copy or not since I have never seen these purple/blue reflection spots (not purple fringing) shooting the same scene at night with other lenses, including 50F/1.8, 50F/1.4, 85L, 35F/2, etc.

I'm feeling much better after spending a little more time with the 35L, which is obviously superb glass. I still wonder about the reflection spots, though, and wonder if other 35L users have noticed similar reflection spots shooting into light, similar to the 4 rows of multiple purple/blue spots in this photo?

Jon, given the position of those spots, it seems highly likely to me that they are just flare from the numerous parking lot lights in that shot. If the shot was not exposed nearly as much (and more representative of how the scene probably looked to the naked eye,) I doubt those flare spots would be anywhere near as noticeable.

Nice shot Falkon, is that the 17-40?

Yep, it's the 17-40. It's on my 7d more than any other lens.

Yep, it's the 17-40. It's on my 7d more than any other lens.

92205900.jpg

santa barbara sea urchin in champagne beurre blanc, fines herbs

Went to a Chi-Chi 2-Michelin Restaurant last night and had the 35L on..

Girls loved it. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather bite into a juicy porterhouse..

And my first foray into Macro, mostly with 21mm tube. Hand-held shots, and I found out real fast Wind is Your Enemy.

I'll have to try a tripod next time, but I'm usually shooting from a high, contorted position, so not sure if it'll work out for macro. Also, where are peoople keeping their F-Stop for daylight Macro work? I kept it at F/8 mostly but seem to recall reading it should be higher.

red1u.jpg

mouth1.jpg

seeds1.jpg

white1h.jpg

reds1.jpg

brown1d.jpg

whites1q.jpg

Edited by Jon L

Being outside and not having to worry about light, just stop down the aperture to as low as you can go while maintaining a decent shutter speed. In windy conditions, I like to keep it about 1/320. Don't go too much past f/16 because you'll end up with soft pics due to diffraction effects unless you have that Pentax lens.

The 85L doesn't stop down past F/16. It also reaches maximum sharpness well before then, I believe.

I just ran into this F/16 limit today and remembered that "feature" of 85L. At these apertures, I simply could not reach a shutter speed that would give me a non-blurry photo hand-held. The Canon 50mm F/1.4 is turning out to be a nice macro lens with a 31 mm extension tube, but I'm still pretty close to the object; definitely not for nervous insects.

ripe1.jpg

feather1.jpg

This one's with 50 F/1.4

pink1yg.jpg

Edited by Jon L