The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Canon users don't fare well, either, according to that article:

"Meanwhile, Canon's factory in northern Honshu, which is understood to make lenses, remains closed with no word on when production will resume. Fifteen people were reported injured there.

Canon today said that, at plants where operations 'may be suspended for one month or more', it will seek to make use of alternative sites that escaped damage, in order to maintain production."

My family is going on a trip soon and we need a good P&S, is the Canon S95 still the best? And how is the Nikon S8100, which is a lot cheaper?

I don't know about "best", but I recently chose the s95 as best for my needs. Small and easy to take with (read put in a pocket) and takes nice pics. Not familiar with the S8100 as that is not one I looked at.

Stay away from non-SLR Nikons, they are pretty much all crap. I don't know any Nikon SLR shooters who use one. We've all got Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, etc. for small cameras, because we know just how rubbish Nikon Coolpix cameras are. Ironic, since Nikon used to make some of the best non-SLR digitals (back in the early 00's).

I like the first one the best. Love the vivid purple.

I don't know about "best", but I recently chose the s95 as best for my needs. Small and easy to take with (read put in a pocket) and takes nice pics. Not familiar with the S8100 as that is not one I looked at.

Stay away from non-SLR Nikons, they are pretty much all crap. I don't know any Nikon SLR shooters who use one. We've all got Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, etc. for small cameras, because we know just how rubbish Nikon Coolpix cameras are. Ironic, since Nikon used to make some of the best non-SLR digitals (back in the early 00's).

Thanks for the advice. Currently using a really old Panasonic Lumix which frankly doesn't take good pics and really sucks with low lighting.

I was using a Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro lens.

I have shot scarry sharp photos with it at similar ranges, I think I need to be more patient focusing and stop down further. Those were already all 3second or more exposures and I was worried about wind.

I think a handheld flash somewhere above & to the side would help pretty much everything, does the consensus agree?

The latest addition to my arsenal of Nikon DSLRs - the D7000 - to make it a trifecta. :) Pic taken with the Lumix LX5, which I also picked up. (Somehow I overlooked the fact it has a lens cap, which will probably get annoying. But oh well.) Now to get a new medium-range zoom lens and a polarizing filter....

nik-tri-x1.jpg

Edited by Asr

The latest addition to my arsenal of Nikon DSLRs - the D7000 - to make it a trifecta. :) Pic taken with the Lumix LX5, which I also picked up. (Somehow I overlooked the fact it has a lens cap, which will probably get annoying. But oh well.) Now to get a new medium-range zoom lens and a polarizing filter....

nik-tri-x1.jpg

What I like about the lens cap on my Leica D-Lux 5 is that I can grab the cap in my left hand, and wrap the tethering cord around my fingers in order to get a more steady hold on the camera. I also like that it will protect the lens better if I drop the camera. I once dented a lens on my Mamiya 35mm when it fell a short distance onto a table, but landed on the outer edge of the lens awkwardly.

After a break from shooting [anything interesting], I worked a rave a few weeks ago. I've now sifted and sorted some of the

1100-ish pix I took that evening:

5539152412_de2263a617_b.jpg

5518800465_950707cf88_b.jpg

5521332137_84d423f224_b.jpg

5527871063_6f41fa015d_b.jpg

5537703379_fee4c417cc_b.jpg

All but the second shot depict the lighting rig I was running for most of the night. Pic #2 is of the "main" stage which had good equipment, but lousy programming. The guy had worked for Pink Floyd, so he had some name recognition and got to charge more than we did. Pox on him, our light show was easily 10x more interesting.

I used my 30D and my vintage 1987 EF 50mm F/1.8 Mk I (which is optically identical to the Mk II, but made out of metal and has a distance scale) for all shots.

guys, just picked up this hobby less than a month. rig is 550d + 50mm f1.8 and 18-55mm (kit lenses). Here are some results of mine. Good friend of mine suggests me to give up this hobby, he said i'm not talented. throwing this question to you guys, am i really suck ?

also looking for a reasonable wide lenses, preferably non L......any suggestions ?

post-1506-0-91090100-1300557353_thumb.jp

post-1506-0-97899700-1300557528_thumb.jp

Edited by forbigger

Are you trying to do something you enjoy or are you trying to make money? If you're trying to make money, give up, you'll never make enough to pay for the gear, even if you turn out to be the next ansel adams. If you enjoy it, then who gives a fuck what your "friend" thinks.