The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

The XT1 is too expensive for a "backup" camera (for me). I would like to stay under $1000 with a lens.

I'll look into the Ricoh GH.

Thanks for the link Jacob.

I'll look into The Mark I and II but it seems like the lens on the Mark III is significantly better.

Edited by shellylh

While I've not used or handled either of them, maybe try out a Ricoh GR or Nikon Coolpix A, assuming 28mm focal length works for you.  If I remember correctly, Ari has Ricoh so maybe he can chime in.

Yepp. It is an amazing camera. 

My only caution is that it is 28mm only... If thats for you, its AMAZING! if not, no. 

I wish Ricoh would make it in "blackpaint" on brass plates, like Leica or the Pentax MX-1. Such sexxyness.

I personally would not have upgraded from the S90 if it were not for the really slow AF and some ferocious distortion in the RAW files. I really liked the S90, maybe just stick with the S95. 

Yepp. It is an amazing camera. 

My only caution is that it is 28mm only... If thats for you, its AMAZING! if not, no. 

I wish Ricoh would make it in "blackpaint" on brass plates, like Leica or the Pentax MX-1. Such sexxyness.

I personally would not have upgraded from the S90 if it were not for the really slow AF and some ferocious distortion in the RAW files. I really liked the S90, maybe just stick with the S95. 

The S95 is a nice camera for still objects in good light but I can't really get a decent photo in low light or if it involves moving objects. I might be able to live with 28mm only.  Both the Ricoh GR and Sony RX100 iii look very good.  Will the larger sensor of the f/2.8 Ricoh will make more of a difference in low light than the f/1.8 lens of the Sony (at it's widest), at least in theory?     

The much bigger sensor of Ricoh should give you better quality at equal ISO value. The faster lens of Sony will give you faster shutter speed at equal ISO, though you should be able to crank up the ISO on Ricoh to match the shutter speed while still maintaining advantage on IQ/noise, at least on paper.

Probably not that much difference in terms of noise when having a similar exposure.

But the Ricoh lens is a fair bit sharper (especially comparing both wide open), as it should be for a prime lens vs. a zoom.

The upcoming Panasonic LX8 will use a 1-inch sensor and might bring a big improvement in terms of low light AF (now down to -4 EV like GH4 and FZ1000) and a 5-axis stabilization added as well.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they price it above the RX100 III in exchange...

Edited by padam

I'm seriously considering the Ricoh GR.   I assume, being only a year old, that there won't be a newer model coming out right away.  

Edit:  I just read that Ricoh GR isn't great if you want to for jpg.  I'll have to read more about this.  Do you have any experience with this Ari?

Edited by shellylh

I agree that the Fuji cameras have always PWNED for JPG quality, but don't think that the Ricoh GR is necessarily lacking compared to other compact cameras. Especially if the GR is set up for SOOC use, as opposed to being set up for post processing... High(er) contrast setting, high(er) sharpness setting, high(er) saturation, and possibly an "effect".

Something neat is that the GR offers "effect bracketing" where you can apply multiple effects to the same JPG automatically. Gobbles up memory, but mneh. 

That being said, I still post process everything. To do what the camera does does not take very much time (even in Photoshop/GIMP) and you have so many options for extra stuff - dodge/burn, selective saturation adjustments, cloning, etc. 

Is buying new a necessity? The x100s regularly goes for less than $1000. doesn't really solve the looks issue but within your budget. I have the xt1 and it has some very peculiar things about it that bugged me with the x100 as well. Certain settings only work in certain modes and not otherwise. I only shoot raw so can't comment as to the JPEG quality but id imagine it doesn't disappoint.

I've been curious about the Ricoh but the fuji 56/1.2 lens was just too powerful a pull to let me pull the trigger on the Ricoh. Street shooters swear by it from everything I have read so far. Sucks that there's nothing in a way of a busy street in Davie like NYC.

I've been curious about the Ricoh but the fuji 56/1.2 lens was just too powerful a pull to let me pull the trigger on the Ricoh. Street shooters swear by it from everything I have read so far. Sucks that there's nothing in a way of a busy street in Davie like NYC.

Its a pretty sexy lens.

Konica used to make a 57F1.2 with crazytoast bokeh, in manual focus.

6191800120_fb03549ca7.jpg

Sony Nex-5N + Konica Hexanon 57mm f1.2 by Arsuchelsy, on Flickr

Not my photo.

Is buying new a necessity? The x100s regularly goes for less than $1000. doesn't really solve the looks issue but within your budget. I have the xt1 and it has some very peculiar things about it that bugged me with the x100 as well. Certain settings only work in certain modes and not otherwise. I only shoot raw so can't comment as to the JPEG quality but id imagine it doesn't disappoint.

I'm not really fond of buying from people I don't know.  

Thanks Ari!

The straight out of camera pics do seem a little softer with less pop but are by no means horrible (as some on other sites have implied).  I read that the straight out of camera B&W are supposed to be very nice. 

I am not against doing post processing but usually don't (and I am not very good at it - it is probably about time to get a book, and sit down and learn the basics).  

I have been reading about the "snap focus" feature of the Ricoh and it seems pretty awesome. 

Right now I am leaning towards the Ricoh GR but I think I'll wait a few days before buying... or not. :)

Edited by shellylh

I was so happy with my Olympus EM5 that I sold my D7000 & nikon lenses.  IME, the only advantage with the Nikon was better focusing on moving subjects.  Disadvantages were price, size and weight.

Pair it with a panasonic 20mm prime as a start.

You can then extend your lens lineup in the future if it tickles your bits.

I am not against doing post processing but usually don't (and I am not very good at it - it is probably about time to get a book, and sit down and learn the basics).  

There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you get the hang of how the various things work basic adjustments should not take more than a couple minutes for an image. 

I like youtube for instructions. 

Basic adjustments to think about for EVERY image. Decide what to do based on the image, but these 5 should always be on your mind. 

Adjust levels - Where the black and white points are, and where the "middle" point is. 

Adjust saturation - how colorful colors are. Can usually be done to individual colors, or all colors at once. 

Crop

Resize

Add "effect" if desired (Vignette, film look, B&W conversion, etc)

Sharpen

After that you get into stuff that is only applied to certain areas or uses layers. Layers are a bit abstract and many people have a hard time figuring them out, but once you do they offer incredible levels of power and control.