The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

The Nikon 1 series has very fast AF... It's one of its best ranked features. It also has a silent electronic shutter, which may or may not be a benefit. I paid $269 for my V1 (eBay refurb from Adorama), $30 for a grip (it is hard to hold otherwise) and $189 for the 18.5mm/f1.8 lens. The combo does quite well indoors with low light with ISO at 800-1600 and if you get the ISO and shutter speed dialed in @ f1.8, the fast AF leaves it as a point and shoot affair. I haven't run it in Auto or either of the priorities, so I can't speak to it's performance there, but for $500 I've been pretty pleased.

It doesn't fit all your criteria, but for some reason I immediately though of the Canon N. Probably the shooters age and strap emphasis. Maybe not best for internal shots though. Could pick up three with your budget. ;)

Ric, the biggest part of this endeavor is personal contact with patients and their families so I'll only be hanging out with one family a day. So no need to more than one camera.

Snip. Look up...

I would be hesitant to give a child any camera with a retractable lens & letting them out of my sight. Dropping on the lens could be realllllly bad. 

Ricoh WG-4

Nikon Coolpix AW120

Canon Powershot D30

ETC

Close enough to everything-proof cameras, with no external moving parts. 

I really like the idea of kids having cameras, they shoot some cool stuff!

That being said, I'm not sue you will ever get it to fly in association with a hospital. 

For a very inexpensive film camera, with a VERY wide (too wide for a child - it's too easy to take a picture of your finger tips/knuckles, you have to hold the camera by its edges.) check out the "vivitar ultra wide and slim" which now goes by the name: Superheadz (it is sold under several names on amazon, but you can pretty much tell by looking at them). 

7259755952_8b4ba0b727_c.jpgRoll in a day by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr

A contact sheet from my superheadz "whole lotta love" camera which is indeed this one. I take way too many pictures of people from behind. 

Saw someone using a Ricoh GR today and it rekindled my desire to get one.

Mwahahahahhahahaha

evil laugh. 

Crap. I had a big post typed up then lost it. My little boy got a Rebel XT (used) when he was 5 for his b-day, with an 18-55. This was rather light and was easy to handle by Xavier. Currently, the SL1 is very small, smaller than the XT (the newer model would probably be the T3i), and with the 40mm F/2.8 STM, it's stupidly light. Put it on Auto and let them go. (The 40 STM lens can be had rather inexpensively refurbished, if not on a good sale.)

The 40mm Pancake lens barely sticks out beyond the front of the built-in flash, is small enough for 5 year olds to handle in both size and weight (it's 19% lighter than the D3200, but you'd probably be more comfortable with that).

Not sure of the current pricing, but as of a month ago, should be easily within budget if you shop well enough.

**BRENT**

Mwahahahahhahahaha

evil laugh. 

Yep, it's your fault.  At this point, I'll probably wait until after the Photokina, though, on the off chance replacement/update to GR gets introduced (i.e., price reduction for current GR) or something else new catches my attention.  I had some hope for the rumored upcoming m43 fixed lens camera, but it's looking like its size will be approaching that of Canon G1 X.  I really wanted to like a RX100 II/III but the damn thing handles like a bar of soap.

It is just about perfect for what I want in a daily carry camera.  I went through a lot of cameras to find one that was worth actually carrying in my bag every day to work and the RX-1 is dramatically better than all the others. (Nex-7, EOS-M, S100, RX-100 Mk II, etc.)

• Like 1