The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Too bad I joined this thread too late to tell you to rent the RX1. I know the refurbs are still double what you wanted to spend, but this IS Head-Case...

And I still need to post some pics.

As far as post processing goes, like Ari said, it isn't that big of a deal, and once you've got the basics down, you will take (literally) a minute to make adjustments that take an ok photo into good territory, or take a great photo into the stratosphere.

Edited by cutestory

As for post-processing, I started learning Aperture 3 a while back and own a copy of Lightroom 3 but never really learned how to use it.  Aperture and it's file system seemed more intuitive for me (and I liked that it could share a library with iphoto).  Since Apple is dumping Aperture, should upgrade to Lightroom 5 and start learning how to use it or do you think the new "photos"  will be decent?  Is there anything else out there to consider besides LR for basic post-processing?   

You can still tell me to get it since I can always send the Ricoh back but I'm still not going to listen to you.   ;)  The RX1 does seem pretty awesome though!!!

Shelly, did you consider the Sigma dp2 (or dp1/3) Quattro (out next month)?

Some photos of random people (and possibly not-so-random-people) at the 2014 Zoe's Rainbow Dash, a charity fun run put together by the parent's of a friend of my daughter's who we tragically lost in a boating accident a couple of years ago. It's been a nice event the past couple of years, and they're doing at least one more.

14397090767_9222a41915_c.jpg

IMG_1857 by MexicanDragon, on Flickr

14582766332_4473f63996_c.jpg

IMG_1806 by MexicanDragon, on Flickr

Respect the hair game in this one

14603613873_a33c386e31_c.jpg

IMG_1819 by MexicanDragon, on Flickr

The brother, a friend of both of my kids
14396909019_eaf455a719_c.jpg

IMG_1879 by MexicanDragon, on Flickr

Pops and his dad, who lost a child/grandchild and mom/wife, respectively.
14581693974_756ca38cfd_c.jpg

IMG_1890 by MexicanDragon, on Flickr

14396848380_e387f68f9b_c.jpg

IMG_1914 by MexicanDragon, on Flickr

Oh, and a couple who got married today got to have an early cake tasting on stage as part of the after-event festivities.

14583479665_a37d785189_c.jpg

IMG_2183 by MexicanDragon, on Flickr

**BRENT**

18.5mm/1.8 for my Nikon V1. Much better better performance than the kit zoom lens. A fast 50mm-equivalent prime addresses the issues I was having so I should end up using the V1 a lot more.

Well, I used the V1/18.5 combo a ton on our trip to Gettysburg. Even Lauren liked it... It was great to have when she didn't want to carry around the D700. Based on reviews, I was a little concerned about the depth-of-field control when shooting wide open due to the small sensor size. But it performed well enough and is actually pretty forgiving, which is nice for a hack like me. The only thing I don't love is the auto white balance, as most of the pictures lack some warmth. But once I start getting used to using a grey card or processing the photos, it should be fine.

Here are a few SOC shot in .jpg running full manual mode.

DSC_0130_zps8e94b364.jpg

DSC_0104_zps8efcedd9.jpg

DSC_0192_zps7dd896cc.jpg

DSC_0193_zpscd709897.jpg

DSC_0220_zps1962670a.jpg

DSC_0274_zps22145e86.jpg

Even with the cost of the new lens, the total investment is under $500, and I have no doubt that this far out performs most P&S or camera phones. When all is said and done, it certainly could approach a consumer grade DSLR total investment, and one could argue it doesn't match even a crop-sensor DSLR, but the size and flexibility fantastic and is a nice complement to Lauren's D700.

• Like 4

Opened up a box containing a relatively minty Nikon F5 and 16 rolls of Kodak Tri X 400 black and white film. Will have chemistry and other gear for developing film at home on Monday. Splitting a film scanner with a classmate of mine. Haven't decided which one for sure but hopefully sometime soon. As great as the xt1 was, I hadn't used it for 2 weeks and whenever I did use it in tough light, the metering worked maybe 10% of the time. In even light I preferred it slightly to the D800 but the moment you put a light source behind a subject or shoot with the sun in the background, it would completely black out the subject. No matter what I did, I could not get the metering to work properly. The d800 although not as much fun to use just gets everything right the first time. Focus locks on immediately and meters perfectly regardless of the light source positioning. 

3bvt5SM.jpg

Epson V700 or V750 with Vuescan.

Does contact sheets REALLY quickly. Scanning film frame by frame with a film-scanner (even at lowish resolution) takes FOREVER. Scan a contact sheet at lowish quality, then go back and hit the keepers.

When you start shooting 4x5 you will thank me even more.

Also good if you ever need to scan an actual piece of paper. Paper negative from a pinhole camera, for example.

Ari, time is not the issue. We were thinking of this  - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007388-REG/pacific_image_primefilm_xa_prime_film_xa_scanner.html

Has batch scanning so the time is not a concern. I just don't want to do a couple of images at a time. I can just let it run in the corner for however long it needs to take. 

Had a little fun shooting SFO by the bay this evening on my way to the hotel.  First time using the 85 1.8G in "the wild", and this little lens sure looks like a keeper.  (Part of a program I'm on to transition my DSLR system to only primes, and set my mirrorless kit up with the zoom for convenience/casual pics).

p97632855-5.jpg

• Like 5