The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Ari and Shelly - any accessories you like using with GR?

Most of the time I use mine by its self with a Screen protector. 

I have been considering something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACMAXX-Multi-Coated-LENS-ARMOR-UV-FILTER-for-Ricoh-GR-Digital-Camera-NEW-GR-16MP-/230987384861?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item35c7ebc81d

Which would be nice because I spend way too much time shooting off of my bike. 

Less specifically to the camera, but gear people consider too silly for a full sized SLR: 

I am a fan of putting it on a little baby tripod for time lapse or low-light landscape/city-scapes. So I guess that counts. 

the RX-1 is dramatically better than all the others. (Nex-7, EOS-M, S100, RX-100 Mk II, etc.)

As well it should be!  Between the lens and sensor, it has no excuses for not delivering the goods.  It just comes down to the limitation of one focal length, period.  I'm getting more used to that with my carry-all camera, the Fuji XE-1+27/2.8, but I do like being able to use it with other lenses when pocketability isn't paramount.

Well, I've got a GR on its way (it's all Ari's fault).  I also located my old Gorillapod, prompted by Ari's post, only to find out it's broken and unusable - don't know why I'd put it away instead of throwing it away.

Jeff - have you looked at the Mirrorless Mover series from ThinkTank?

As for that new Panasonic camera phone, I actually like the idea.  I think they could've kept the right side of the body at same thickness as the lens ring (while still keeping the left side thinner) to accommodate a larger battery.  If it (or its successors) ever makes it over to US, I'd at least consider it, assuming the price isn't ridiculous, and can perform what I need from a phone adequately (e-mail/web, calendar/contacts, directions).

• Like 2

The EVF is not the best, unfortunately. And it is a bit weird that the screen is still fixed. And of course it never uses the full size of the sensor, so it is not that much bigger than a 1-inch.

Otherwise it should be very nice, especially if the lens and video quality turn out to be as good as expected.

Edited by padam

^ Mostly that.  Also, it's curious why they decided to go the route of not-quite-4:3-sized sensor, as opposed to utilizing the whole sensor for 4:3 format and just cropping for other formats (3:2, 1:1, 16:9, etc.) - guessing the lens would've been bigger than they wanted.  Personally, I was hoping Panny would go the route of Coolpix A/Ricoh GR/x100(S/T) and offer one with a really nice prime lens with smaller size.  As is, it's approaching the G1 X size.

With all that said, assuming you're okay with substantially bigger size, RX100III has a stiff competition, at least on paper.

Edited by Salt Peanuts
  • Like 1

^ Mostly that.  Also, it's curious why they decided to go the route of not-quite-4:3-sized sensor, as opposed to utilizing the whole sensor for 4:3 format and just cropping for other formats (3:2, 1:1, 16:9, etc.) - guessing the lens would've been bigger than they wanted.  Personally, I was hoping Panny would go the route of Coolpix A/Ricoh GR/x100(S/T) and offer one with a really nice prime lens with smaller size.  As is, it's approaching the G1 X size.

With all that said, assuming you're okay with substantially bigger size, RX100III has a stiff competition, at least on paper.

Well, they think the sensor area sacrifice is worth the consistency across ratios (as they also did the LX7). 

^ Which I think is stupid. I'd want as much data as the sensor can capture, and if I want less, I can crop it myself.

It's also somewhat misleading to call it a m43 camera when utilized sensor area size is smaller than the size specified in the Four Third/m43 standard, even though the target audience would know about it.

Well, in camera v. post aside, the pros/cons really only come into play if you expect the users to jump between ratios regularly (especially after framing or in multi-format mode), right? I agree with you in practice with every camera I've ever used (never change ratios and stay full), except the LX7, which I did all the time because of its convenience. On the other side of things, on the near fly cropping has never been easier with WIFI and mobile apps.  

I just want every sensor to go 1:1.  ;) 

I'm pretty sure that there are no square MF-digitals at the moment. Since the trend with film was usually to shoot a BIG negative, and crop the best rectangle out of it (bonus round that you never need to turn the camera on its side... with square format), and megapixels cost mega-bucks in this size, I think people shooting big just focused harder on composing in camera, or they shoot it 3 more ways and delete the bad files :P 

On that note, it is totally beyond me why cell phones come with rectangular sensors. I'm really not a fan of 1:1 for stills but it is better than vertical video. Someone will make an app to crop it down. The best laid plans and all that. 

I'm all for vertical/portrait video (on web players can be customized).

On the subject of the march of time, not sure how many have seen it, but Time Zero: The Last Year of Polaroid is on Netflix. A little love letter (including The Impossible Project). Just watched.

Edited by blessingx

I've wanted to get a refurbished Polaroid camera for nostalgia sake, but the cost of film is more than I want to pay at this point.  We actually rented few Polaroid cameras for out wedding several years back where guests went around taking random pictures with them.

Edited by Salt Peanuts