The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Max has a new Jason Momoa limited series, On The Roam, which is pretty eye-rolly, but drop into the second episode to wonder with photographer Todd Hido to have a great time. 

IMG_4760.jpeg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^I think there should be a movement that requires every picture of a nice camera must credit the camera with which said photo of camera was taken. #mostphotostakenwithacellphone  ;)

Edited by jpelg
  • Like 1

I showed great restraint today. 

7uTtkLC.jpg

RjFMS7u.jpg

wDt5nfB.jpg

4x5" Speed Graphic, in very good condition.  $225, On-Island.  I said no.  As much as I have lingering desires to sit at the big boy's table with the other large format photographers, I've realized I'm better off if I don't.  I mentioned previously that lurking in the large format subreddit has underscored what I already knew: The larger the format, the bigger the delta between the skilled photographers and everyone else.  I've seen so many mediocre to outright bad effects with LF cameras, all done at considerable cost to the photographer.  Seriously, nothing is cheap about film in 2024 and LF is "if you have to ask..." (ULF is "you should not ask.")  For every artist I've seen showing great skill in their craft, there are dozens of sloppily framed, questionably exposed, poorly printed counterparts.  I'm afraid I'm closer to the latter than the former.  Even though I'm now friend with a spry 87 year old who has his own darkroom set up for 4x5", I just cannot see myself ever putting even one frame through the Speed Graphic.  If I bought it, it'd be a dust collector and nothing more.  Sure is a looker, if one has a taste for such things.

• Like 5

PXL_20240129_184611646.MP.jpg

I have one of those. It is indeed nothing but a dust collector. Back when I was selling used cameras, we probably had two dozen of them siting around - we couldn't give them away and instead we used them as decoration. I am 100% certain we never sold one. We also had piles of other 4x5 and 8x10 stuff around - the store had been open since 1907 or something - and we never sold any of those, either.

FWIW, if I wanted to shoot large format again, this would be about my last choice of camera. Basically all of the headache and cost of large format, but almost none of the benefits.

• Like 3

While we are on the subject of useless camera formats - I long ago got rid of nearly all of my collectable camera gear (the Graflex was a gift, received subsequent to that purge). The one piece I kept was my Pen FT half frame with bellows and slide copier. Because who doesn't need to convert all of their slides into even smaller slides?

PXL_20240129_193627296.MP.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a D610 and 50mm f/1.4G, full set, under 13,000 actuations, for so cheap as to be free. I loved my D600, but sold it for Fuji. Between the 610 and the Q, I’ll be set to shoot my upcoming wedding (will have to pass things off from time to time, of course!). Need to get an 85mm; I have an 85mm, but only AI-S. 

Gosh it’s a good time to buy DSLR. I’ve seen D4s for not much than I spent on the 610. Though in… used condition. :)

• Like 1

Picked up a Nikon D40x with 18-55 kit lens in basically BNIB condition for $100 shipped. This is for my stepson. He has been shooting with his iPad Mini for years, so this should be a big upgrade. He turns 11 this year, and I think the D40 body will work well for him. I bet he outgrows auto pretty quickly and will want me to explain photography to him. Plus now he can help shoot the wedding!

• Like 1

Picked up a LNIB D90, a few tb sdxc cards, a few 32gb sdhc cards, a couple Sigma Art lenses, and an n8008 with a vintage 28-85 AF (I just wanted the lens, got the camera for free), and some Ilford to shoot in the free n8008. I think I’m done for now! 

I think I went camera crazy. Stuff is just so *cheap.* It will all be used. D90 and 28-85 will be perfect for Heather. N8008 is a solid camera, and handier than my FM2. Never shot with Sigma Art 35 and 85, so should be fun. 

Leica might arrive today, and I can’t wait!

P.S. Forgot the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AF

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Got the Leica and the D610 today. The lens on the Q is absurd. Sensor wise I think the two cameras are broadly similar. The Q might be a half generation better. Either sensor is more than good enough for me. But that Summilux!

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

I never mentioned the Pixii+ didn't work out for me. The rangefinder arrived severely misaligned so I never really got a chance to test it out and keeping the camera off wifi to conserve small battery life eliminated much of it's forward thinking phone connected ecosystem, but this recent interview is worth a listen if you're interested. Ironically the return was lengthy and a bit of a headache and when it was finally completed the same week it was announced B&H started stocking, eliminating some off the risk of overseas back and fourth. Anyway...

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Snappiness always has good content. I was interested in the Pixii, but just decided the Q was a better fit for me, since my existing lens collection is all F-mount, and I didn’t particularly want to buy Leica lenses, given prices and overlap (since I bought a Nikon DSLR again, as well), and 28mm is my favorite focal length. 

Disappointing that it was misaligned. I also find it a little gross that they don’t just sell the base model with the larger storage installed, if they are going to insist on having built in storage. I mean, an ultra fast 1tb SD card is like $70. 

• Like 1

That’s a great shot, Dan!

I have three rolls of HP5 through the N8008. It’s a lot of fun to shoot with (I’ve been shooting with a 28mm f/2.8). I’ll get development done after a couple more rolls (does anybody have a suggestion for a good lab?). My only complaint with it is that the plastic cladding scuffs easily. It came to me in basically LNIB condition, and it’s not pristine anymore just from rubbing against the hardware on the strap while in my bag. Great camera.

Edited by EdipisReks1

It’s not brassing when it is scuffed plastic! I own an old FM2; I’m familiar with brassing. :)

16 hours ago, blessingx said:

I don’t have any personal recommendations except places to stay away from, but the word is below is good and decently priced  

https://thedarkroom.com/

Thank you Ric, I’ll check them out! We used to have a local lab, that did the work for the college of art, but they went under in 2021. 

20 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Thank you Ric, I’ll check them out! We used to have a local lab, that did the work for the college of art, but they went under in 2021. 

If you go back more years there were Cord Cameras all over Ohio and a chance my smiling face was on the other side of the counter. 

Whitagram-Image.jpeg

• Like 2