The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I had a long post about that all drawn up. 

Instead, I will ask. 

Could you write a few sentences (use the skirt guideline - long enough to cover whatever you think should be covered but short enough to be interesting) about each photo to describe what you would like the viewer to see or feel when looking at the photo?

I had a long post about that all drawn up. 

Instead, I will ask. 

Could you write a few sentences (use the skirt guideline - long enough to cover whatever you think should be covered but short enough to be interesting) about each photo to describe what you would like the viewer to see or feel when looking at the photo?

Well I'd rather listen to people's first reactions to these pictures rather than to my own voice, but I'll try anyway..

The first one's the most obvious.  That homeless guy was walking down the train station, and I found it rather ironic that he was surrounded by looking to get out of their houses when he doesn't have one.

My favorite's probably the last one, I like the contrast between the fluidity of water against the hardness of concrete and steel.

Its great that you are trying to convey something, but it sucks that its not coming through. 

It sounds (and looks) like you have some aversion to "the rules" as the guidelines to composition are usually seen - a limited set of rules that usually get it done well enough to make things easy for people who dont understand how to or want to pick the best tool for the job. 

Since it also sounds like you care (or you are a great troll) I would advise against blanket following of a few simple rules of composition. That is BS, I agree. BUT since you care you should have no troubles learning as many rules as you can at first and selecting the best one(s) to suit the situation at hand. After a bit of study you will start to see the principles behind the rules at which time you will only need the rules to make sure other people understand your photos. 

A lot of people fall into the trap of thinking that great photographers don't follow rules because their photos are all so different. The reality is that great photographers pick the best rule for the situation from a larger list and apply it more skillfully. 

That's what I feared. Then I've never said I was a photographer of any competence...

EDIT: Thanks Jon L for the video ^-^ Not going to give me talent though...

It has nothing to do with your skill as a photographer (we don't care).  It has to do with your skill as a reader.  You selected the wrong venue, because we don't care.  That's clearly spelled out in the welcome message you were sent when you signed up, and that is linked to repeatedly on the forum (including my signature, if you've missed it everywhere else).  Until we care about you, we don't care about what you have to say.

D800e? I do miss the AF and AF-On button on D700 but I've found low light better on D600.

Speaking of viewfinder, D700 has 95% coverage vs 100% on D600/800. Also, in regards to focusing screen, Katzeye have stated they've encountered some technical difficulties/limitations with current Nikin FF lineup so they won't be developing focusing screen for them at this point, if ever.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Maybe I should rent a d700 and see what it does for me.

This. I have not been shooting my D700 (or anything really) recently, LMK if you want to borrow it. 

I did find myself missing shutter speeds above 4000, with some lenses.

Have you ever shot with ND filters? 

I am not so into shooting wide open, but use them for reallllllly long exposures in daylight. 

In any case, they offer a lot of power when used well. 

I have ND1000 (a very cheap one with a delightful color cast that comes out in RAW but no doubt iritates JPG shooters everywhere) and its pretty fun. 

ND4, ND8, and ND16 are pretty sweet for shooting wide open in daylight. Once you get past ND16 it starts to get too dark to see, but you rarely need more than that unless you want longggggggggggg exposures anyways.

You can also use them (ND4-16) for fill flash in reallllly bright daylight, or fill flash wide open on an overcast day... so much option. 

IIRC, D700 only goes down to ISO200, so even though it can go up to 1/8000 shutter speed, it won't be different in regards to exposure from shooting at ISO100 at 1/4000 with D600.

So as Ari said, ND filters, which I should get couple of them as well.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I have shot both D600 and D700 and to be honest I think the D600 is a better camera. I understand that the D700 might give a nicer shooting experience to some because its a more professional body but unfortunately in this age sensor makes a bigger impact at least to me. The only pros for the D700 i can think of is possibly the more scattered AF points in the viewfinder (D600 has them all clustered around the center) and the more robust build (and possibly nicer balance with heavier lenses).

I agree. I was totally bummed when I heard that the new DF doesn't have a split screen. I used to shoot with an F3hp and I was hoping that Nikon would make a digital version of that. Too bad Katz-Eye doesnt have a screen for the D600. Also keep in mind that such implementations are also prone to inaccuracies of focusing screen distance. I have a 5DmkII with the Es-G screen and I had to try different shimmies in order to make it completely accurate because the distance inside the viewfinder was different than the one to the sensor. Its too bad that companies nowadays don't see the need for a good get-go split screen implementation.

Take a look at this if you don't know what I mean by shimming the focusing screen

http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/cleaning-the-5d-mk-ii-viewfinder/