The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Didn't realize D700 has a better build than D800.  Even though I really like my D600 and its IQ potential, I miss D700 - that camera felt really great in my hand.

Yeah, having owned both for years, I can certainly attest that the D700 is the tougher build.  That camera survived several harsh blows (including one in a certain Chicago hotel in 2010) with no issues whatsoever, apart from a little brassing.  The D800 has had an easier existence thus far, but has already had two failures on me, though both are non-critical issues, and I don't feel like playing the Nikon service roulette to fix them (CF slot stopped working, and lock for shooting mode no longer locks).  While I appreciate the slightly lower weight of the D800, it seems that perhaps it sacrificed quality a bit.  Thom Hogan has reported that fairly light hits to the camera in just the (wrong) spots, can bend the frame, causing the mount to go out of alignment, or the LCD to crack.

Well all the Nikon gear is gone.  Now I need to decide if I jump back to Canon 5DmkIII or wait a bit to see if anything else pops up I find more interesting.  Haven't really used my Nikon at all for months so I am not really in a rush to start buying a whole new setup.

Fuji is really killing it in the lens department recently.  The 56/1.2 is spectacular, and I was really impressed with the 10-24 as well (tried both at CES).  And more great lenses coming from them (16-55 2.8 and 50-140 2.8), along with the XT-1, is making a great case for them to pick up new fans.  I'm looking at maybe adding an XE-1 as my easy-carry camera.  As long as you don't need 24+ MP for big prints or cropping, there isn't much to want for with the Fuji X-Trans sensor, which combined with their JPEG engine gives the best SOOC shots around.

The Micro 4/3 crowd also has some great stuff out there right now.  The Oly EM-1 is a highly impressive camera in a small package, and the Panasonic GM1 is shockingly tiny for an ILC.

It's a great time to be a photog, no doubt!  

Focus Camera is offering a hot deal on Sony A7/R, ending up with total of $650+$300=$950 off for package including body, lens, and flash.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/focuscamera-gives-you-300-if-you-trade-in-your-old-camera-for-the-sony-a7-a7r/

I called Focus Camera, and the $300 credit is good for any camera, even a broken point-and-shoot, which is stackable on top of the Sony $650 rebate, leading to total of $950 off the package.  

Needless to say, I broke down and ordered the package of A7R, Zeiss 55 f/1.8, and Sony HVL60M flash.  :o  The flash has known overheating issues, but I figure I could use it for non-continuous shooting or send it to Sony service and see what they will do for me.  

BTW, Focuscamera website does not list the package of A7R/55mm/HVL60M under the $300 trade-in deal, just one with the 35mm lens.  However, I found their ebay listing for the package I prefer, and they honored the $300 deal when I called them.  

Here is the problem I have had with two 85mm f/1.8s now. I don't know how one calls this sharp when the eyes are just a liquidy mess. I don't get this issue with the sigma 35 or the zeiss 135. What's the point of a portrait lens if the eyes look like that? 

EVr0nLf.jpg

Shot with D800, ISO 640, f/4.5, 1/125 sec. 

0PeyvX3.jpg

Shot with D800, ISO 640, f/2.2, 1/250 sec.