The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Rather simplistic article, but I must say Sony has earned my photographic respect with the A7®.  I mean, where is CaNikon's full-frame, mirrorless, portable, interchangeable camera, at a reasonable price no less? :palm:   I have a lot of $$$ tied up in Canon, but I have a feeling Sony might be getting some of that soon. 

Nikon already has fast sensor-based AF in the 1-series and Canon also has dual pixel AF. So I guess they can move to EVF-equipped cameras if they want to (keeping the current mount and maybe introduce another one like E-mount and A-mount) but they will try to continue the DSLR line as long as they can, Sony will be crippled with the lens range for a while anyway, A7R has its issues with the AF and shutter vibration as well, etc.

Edited by padam

I monkeyed around with the A7r and yet-to-be-released Zeiss 24-70 f/4 lens at CES quite a bit.  The camera certainly has potential, but I have no interest in being a first adopter.  I liked the EVF implementation, especially for manual focus, which is much easier than on a DSLR.  The body size is quite remarkable for being 35mm digital with a tilting LCD.

However, the shutter noise (horrible!), glacial FPS rate, useless continuous AF, and mediocre buffer in RAW would all make it quite inconvenient to shoot in a number of circumstances.  Then there's the lack of native lenses (in typical Sony fashion), and the less than impressive cost/performance ratio of the lenses the system does have.  The 24-70 did not fully impress, considering the cost and relatively slow aperture, I expected it to be sharper. The tripod-mounted testing I did showed soft corners (even when optimally focused for the corners) at 24mm all the way out to f/11.  There were also some issues around 35mm, but 50mm and 70mm were better.  The 35 f/2.8 Zeiss performed pretty well, but that's a steep price to pay for an f/2.8 prime.  Same story with the 55 f/1.8, very nice performance, but very costly for a 50/1.8 (Canon and Nikon versions are $100-200, not $1200).

Hopefully the A7 series will spur the market forward, and Sony, Canon, and Nikon will all compete in that space (maybe even Fuji as well?).  Let's get Nikon 1 AF performance into a 35mm mirrorless body, and get the e-shutter capability improved quite a bit.  Hello 10+ FPS with active phase-detect AF! :)

Let's get Nikon 1 AF performance into a 35mm mirrorless body, and get the e-shutter capability improved quite a bit.  Hello 10+ FPS with active phase-detect AF! :)

:wub:   :prettyprincess:

I would still buy the A7r IF at least one of the following were true:  that Zeiss 35 f/2.8 is 35 f/2 at same price; there are good options for TTL triggers and speedlites; Zeiss 55 f/1.8 is a little smaller and $300 less, X-sync is at least 1/250th and FPS at least 5-6.

So looks like I am waiting for A7r Mk II..

Edited by Jon L

Same story with the 55 f/1.8, very nice performance, but very costly for a 50/1.8 (Canon and Nikon versions are $100-200, not $1200).

It is 999$ at the moment and I expect to drop that as the domestic price is only 82000 yen right now, which does not look bad at all, considering it is probably one of the best-performing fast standard primes out there. Sharpness, colors, bokeh, it just seem to has it all. And it does built much better than those (etc. 9-bladed aperture, weather-sealed as well)

The only problem is that it is the only lens at the moment which really seems to stand out. There will likely to be a 85/1.8 announcement in March, but it will not be cheap.

The A7 has the better flash sync AF etc. so it looks to be the better of the two, more MP just means less useful range to exploit it because of diffraction.

Hmm, guess I got my lens prices a little mixed up, but nevertheless, $1K is quite the premium for a 50/1.8 with a Zeiss badge.

The bit about diffraction isn't as true as you might think, see here: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/03/overcoming-my-fentekaphobia

I have no qualms about shooting my D800 at f/11, and will use f/16 or even f/22 if necessary for the shot.  I don't do it often, but when I do, it's unquestionably a better result than I got a the same apertures with a D700.

The allure of sony I think is in the ability to adapt glass from other systems. The image quality is fantastic. The new zeiss fe mount lenses are close to the Otus in performance. Can't be said for many if any lenses from canon or nikon.

Keep in mind they came up with the first point and shoot full frame and a full frame mirror less body neither of which have a peer currently. As far as glass...pick any up and you can use it. Speedbooster adapters let you af with canon lenses.

Edited by crappyjones123

Isn't Sony's thing "new things ever six months," right now?  Good luck on native lenses. It'll also be interesting to see if Sony is still in business in 5 years...

I think Sony will still be in business, but they might be out of a lot of individual markets.  They'll definitely be in business, as long as the continue producing the best imaging sensors on the market.

Unlike Canon or Nikon, Sony can also just close down digital camera division if they so choose since the company's survival isn't riding on the said division.

Right or wrong, I don't see Canon or Nikon doing anything radical/unexpected since they probably think they don't have to - mirrorless market share really hasn't changed in the last couple of years.  On the flip side, maybe Canon or Nikon can't/won't do anything radical/unexpected for the fear it doesn't work (and can't afford huge mistake) since so much of their success rides on their respective imaging division.

Yea, the resurface of the EOS M!

Hehe, it may be a laughing stock, but heck I would never have taken all these photos if the little EOS-M wasn't always in my car 

For those of you that picked up the EOS-M during last year's big price reduction sale, what are the main objections to this camera? Have the focusing speed issues been resolved (or at least markedly improved) with firmware updates? What else is wrong with this camera?

I couldn't even make it through one of those guy's videos with a girl in her underwear in it.

I really think the focus speed and overall usability on the EOS-M is pretty good.  Easier to focus up close than the Sony RX-100 MKII due to the touchscreen.  I think image quality was fairly similar between the two, the Sony is just smaller so it ends up in my pocket more often.

That being said, I really have not been using mine so I will probably throw the setup into my photo sale thread at some point if I can find which camera bag my 18-55 lens is in.

I thought Canon pulled EOS M out of the US Market and was just going through the remaining inventory?  IIRC, Canon USA had no plan of introducing any further EOS M models, including the EOS M2 that was announced couple of months ago in Japan/Asia market.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

For those of you that picked up the EOS-M during last year's big price reduction sale, what are the main objections to this camera? Have the focusing speed issues been resolved (or at least markedly improved) with firmware updates? What else is wrong with this camera?

Mine arrived with the firmware update, so I don't know how bad the focus speed was at its worst, but it's still bad for shooting movement (have lost a ton of toddler shots). That said I love shots that do turn out (in a way I never did with my old D70) and been happy enough to avoid upgrading. Only other complaint I've heard is (mostly speed) performance compared to the similar T4/T4i, but that enters the mini dSLR v. mirrorless debate.

Anyway, still quite happy I jumped on the sale. Assume everyone saw the price & market on the new version? Makes this sale (which is still out there) all the more attractive.

tumblr_mwr7d8BbJo1rtmmhuo1_1280.jpg

For those of you that picked up the EOS-M during last year's big price reduction sale, what are the main objections to this camera? Have the focusing speed issues been resolved (or at least markedly improved) with firmware updates? 

Considering EOS-M2 with kit lens is going to be around $822 in Japan, the EOS-M/kit lens deal at $299 was likely the bargain of the decade as far as Canon goes.  It's ridiculous how little difference exists between M1 and M2, mainly the (non-dual pixel) hybrid CMOS II 18 MP sensor with supposed faster AF.  Honestly, after the firmware update, M1's AF speed is as good as I expect or need from a non-pro body.  If I need to shoot action, I will pull out a pro body.  In fact, I wish my 5D III's live view AF was half as fast as EOS-M, not to mention the touch-to-focus touchscreen, which I hope makes it to Canon's future pro bodies..

nikon lenses instant rebates. 

http://mycameragear.net/2014/02/nikon-rebates-february-2014/

I had purchased the 85/1.8 from amazon a few weeks ago but wasn't too impressed with it wide open. The sigma 35/1.4 was sharper wide open than the 85 at f/2 - f/2.8. Anyone have different experiences with that lens? I don't mind giving it another try especially at $100 less. 

Edited by crappyjones123

I don't pixel peep, but I've found mine to be plenty sharp wide open.  I use the lens stopped down if I can help it, though - fringing can be annoying wide open.  Also, couple of the tests/reviews online I've read show the copy of 85/1.8g they tested were sharper wide open than the tested copy of Sigma 35/1.4 wide open (and pretty much same from f/2.8 onward).

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Really disappointed... I bought Lauren a SB-700 last Christmas. She shoots predominately with natural light, but signed up for an all-day flash photography class today. It was her first full day away from Penelope, and things were going well until it appeared she needed to change out batteries on the flash. Well, it appears one of the batteries leaked something, and despite efforts to clean the affected contact, the flash will no longer power on. Used like three times and now completely NFG. Luckily someone in the class shared hers so she was still able to get a lot out of the class, but it definitely sucks to have a like-new paperweight. Ugh.