The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Has anyone here used LensRentals.com before?   As you may or may not know, we got bed bugs this year and aren't sure they are gone yet.  There is probably very little chance they are in the lens and camera but I don't really want to take a chance and take it to my parents house for Christmas.  So I was thinking of renting a camera and lens for 3-4 days (with picked up locally or shipped to my parents house in Fontana, CA).  This would also give the added benefit of trying out a FF camera to see if I want to go that way or not.  I am not sure if I can find a place to rent locally so I was thinking of having something shipped there.  LensRentals.com seems to be a reputable place so I was wondering if anyone had used them and what they thought.  I was thinking of renting the D610 and Nikon 35 f/1.4 (unless there is another lens that would be better for mostly indoors photos).  The other option is that I buy a D7100 (which is what I am leaning towards since I don't think I want to go down the FF road and but good FF lenses) and have it shipped to my parents.  I guess I can buy another 35mm f/1.8G or 50mm f/1.8D and then just sell it for a small loss.  I think that 50mm f/1.8 would be too long for indoor photos.  The other option is that I can borrow my friend's 18-55 kit lens for free but I think that wouldn't be the best lens for indoors. 

Edited by shellylh

I've used LensRentals several times and have only had good experiences.  In my dealings with them, their CS has been very helpful and responsive.  FYI, the first time you use their service, they'll need to confirm that you are actually who you say you are (they did this with me via work e-mail, iirc.).

I haven't used them in a while but only because I found a local place close by that I can do in-person pickup/drop-off (thus saving in shipping).

Oh, and how about you buy D7100, and rent 24/1.4g?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Id suggest the sigma 35/1.4 over the nikon version Shelly. +1 on lensrentals. Great people.

http://www.dxomark.com/%20eng/Reviews/Sigma-35mm-f1.4-DG-HSM-Nikon-Mount-review-the-definitive-high-speed-35mm-wide-angle-lens-for-DSLRs/Sigma-35mm-f1.4-DG-HSM-Nikon-versus-competition

Edited by crappyjones123

The performance is stellar indeed, but some people report sample variations regarding to AF accuracy (good copy/bad copy have always been a weakness with Sigma lenses and I guess they don't send bad ones for reviews like this), not sure if it is specific to any mount or just generally.

That is a lens that I have thought of buying for the future so it might be a good idea so I can try it out. 

I got lucky with mine. There's a gentleman (fay126) selling new ones on fredmiranda for $820 whom I purchased mine from. Receipt is included if you ask him for it for any warranty purposes. To remove doubts he does agree to send raw images for the buyer to determine if the lens has trouble focusing which I think is better than having to deal with returns.

Edited by crappyjones123

Sigma USA will calibrate your lens - they generally do recommend you send them in both the lens and the body on which it will be used.

Crappy - Aside from letting you update lens firmware at home, it lets you make AF calibrations just like one can on some of the DSLR bodies. The difference being that you can make calibration/adjustment for multiple focusing distance (iirc, it was 4 on 35/1.4) and multiple focal length (on a zoom). There are other things you can adjust on other supported lenses (e.g., focus limiter range, OS adjustments).

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I think the historical issue with Sigma lenses (may only apply to certain lenses) is that its impossible to focus the left and right sides (or top and bottom) on a brick wall at Fmax which is a sign of internal elements being shifted/tilted. Considering how people shooting at F1.4 actually use the lenses, I'm not sure I can fault Sigma for it as it does not affect the final result. 

Lack of focus shift between F-almost-max and ~F5.6 is a MUCH more important decision point if you want to shoot "nearly wide open" which I imagine is important in Texas.  Sometimes there is just too much light to shoot at F1.4 and dealing with a lens that has bad focus shift at F2.8 (still low enough DOF that it matters...) is frustrating. 

On some lenses (usually fast ones), the plane/point of focus shift when lens is stopped down as compared to when lens is wide open.  So something that is in focus when shot wide open may very well not be in focus when shot stopped down.  This can be a problem since AF is done with lens wide open, even if you are taking a shot with lens stopped down.  So if you are shooting "nearly wide open," as Ari put it, with a lens that suffers from noticeable focus shift, you may get bunch of not-quite-in-focus shots because DOF at "nearly wide open" won't be large enough to negate the focus shift.  For example, Sigma 50/1.4 was/is a lens that suffers from pretty severe focus shift.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

On some lenses (usually fast ones), the plane/point of focus shift when lens is stopped down as compared to when lens is wide open.  So something that is in focus when shot wide open may very well not be in focus when shot stopped down.  This can be a problem since AF is done with lens wide open, even if you are taking a shot with lens stopped down.  So if you are shooting "nearly wide open," as Ari put it, with a lens that suffers from noticeable focus shift, you may get bunch of not-quite-in-focus shots because DOF at "nearly wide open" won't be large enough to negate the focus shift.  For example, Sigma 50/1.4 was/is a lens that suffers from pretty severe focus shift.

OK, that makes sense.  Do the new Art Sigmas (like the 35/1.4) tend to have this problem?

^ Not anything I've noticed on my copy of the lens. Additionally, testings/reports online that I've read reported no focus shift issue with the lens.

Reportedly, it can have focusing problem if you are using focus assist beam on an external flash (I have it set to off on my SB-800). Of course, there are reports of focusing issues regardless of the lens if you use focus assist beam on SB-700/900/910.

Edited by Salt Peanuts