The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

It appears upgrading to LR5 borked the XMP files for about a month worth of photos, negating any and all edits/adjustments I did with them.  Didn't notice it when I initially upgraded to LR5 since these were photos I'd processed a while back.  Now I get to go through my backups to find non-borked XMP files.  Joy.

Personally, I quite like 135mm lenses.  I have three manual focus ones I use on a fairly regular basis.  

Meyer-Optik Orestor 135mm F/2.8, with its 15 blade aperture.

Tair 11A 135mm F/2.8, which has a 22 blade aperture.

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm F/3.5, sporting a humble 6 blade aperture, but is the sharpest of the bunch and has the best color transmission.

I've toyed with the idea of buying the Canon 135mm F/2L for many years, but haven't ever pulled the trigger.  I have never owned a Nikon body, but that hasn't stopped me from lusting after the 135mm DC.

Thanks Gene, I noticed you sold off your RX-100, what are you using now?  I am thinking about moving to the RX-1 at this point.

Jeff, I loved the RX100, and got many great shots with it.  imho the best p&s out there, but I also got great results from the Canon S100.  Decided to see if phone cam will do for p&s duties.  Not sure it will work out, but got the best I could to give it a go.  Looked at the Samsung S4 Zoom and decided it was a freak - no interest.  Have had a Sony Xperia Z1 for a few weeks - 20 mp, 1/2.3" sensor and f/2.0 lens.  Great specs, but still needs some work.  One firmware update already, and cam definitely improved.   Still a work in progress.

Jeff, I loved the RX100, and got many great shots with it.  imho the best p&s out there, but I also got great results from the Canon S100.  Decided to see if phone cam will do for p&s duties.  Not sure it will work out, but got the best I could to give it a go.  Looked at the Samsung S4 Zoom and decided it was a freak - no interest.  Have had a Sony Xperia Z1 for a few weeks - 20 mp, 1/2.3" sensor and f/2.0 lens.  Great specs, but still needs some work.  One firmware update already, and cam definitely improved.   Still a work in progress.

Cool stuff, Gene.  Be sure to show us some Z1 shots.  The upgraded camera and weatherproofing of that phone definitely make it an appealing prospect.

With the second round of med school exams over, a few friends and I decided to take a break and head to the local watering holes to procure some choice beverages for them.

1. The afternoon started with a trip to "The Pub" where absurdly tasty lamb burgers were consumed with two fingers of Macallan 18. The gorgeous caramel was making it difficult to focus on focusing. 

asugUpB.jpg

2. I collected myself and tried real hard to focus properly.

W1Cun8B.jpg

3. Fast forward a couple of hours and we ended up at Primanti Brothers in search of a good pizza.

MwYmVM1.jpg

8ZstdmB.jpg

5. Everyone we came across greeted us with a smile

yVlYpqi.jpg

6. We came. We bit. We were stuffed.

PGR6Vh4.jpg

7. The sendoff included a smile too.

jJPiVxY.jpg

8. We ran into a couple of wise guys who couldn't figure out the "who has two thumbs" joke. No, they weren't drunk.

0TzITX6.jpg

9. They showed us how what their mating call was. I promised them I would try it when I got home. :) It didn't work. :(

6nqgamP.jpg

10. Then they showed us how Arnold posed in the Mr. Universe competition.

2Kh1DHT.jpg

11. We came across a model who only wanted a dollar in exchange for services rendered as a subject.

XKSQj2R.jpg

12. Some people pretended (quite poorly) that they didn't want their picture taken.

FVomsfS.jpg

13. The night ended at The Drunken Taco where we had an excellent conversation with Gil who wanted me to email him this photo as he liked it a lot but wanted to make sure that I knew his name was Gil, not Gill. He mentioned with a quivering voice that his mother would have killed him if he ever received any correspondence addressed to Gil.

XpyxONE.jpg

All in all a well deserved break from the books. Now back to the grind.

As much as I love Zeiss glass, I don't like the look of the Otus. I wish they had stuck to the rugged look/feel/construction of the distagon series. The Otus seems prone to rub marks and discolorations. Not something I would like to see in a lens that expensive. Then again, I don't have the money to buy it so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter.