Wish me luck!

guzziguy

Just saw this thread...Good luck Ken! One of my coworkers previously worked for Sonos, so let me know if you want me to ask anything specific. I'd bet your chances are very good. You are qualified and experienced, and your passion for audio will show in the interview. Of course it also helps that Sonos is expanding, and we live in a labor-limited market.

Hope you knock(ed) their socks off. Keep us updated!

Fungi: I've compiled a huge list of area tech companies, so if you want to stay in the area after graduation, PM me!

I really don't know what to do after graduation. I've thought about staying in the area since the climate is nice, but no idea. Do you or Ken have anything to say about this? I mean obviously both of you like it enough to stay here :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what to do after graduation. I've thought about staying in the area since the climate is nice, but no idea. Do you or Ken have anything to say about this? I mean obviously both of you like it enough to stay here :D

Yes, this is a great place to live. It has a nice, mild climate year round. The problems you'll have to deal with if you stay here are:

1. It's extremely expensive here. Buying a house is very difficult. Of course, it's just as expensive in the Bay area and not near as nice IMO.

2. It's a backwater town, a nice backwater town but backwater none the less. At your age, I wanted something more exciting and you may too.

3. High-tech employment opportunities are limited compared to the Bay area and other high-tech centers. Because of that, pay is somewhat less and, if you are ambitious, growth opportunities are very limited.

None of these limitations are important to me and Stacy. We enjoy living here and will only move if we have to. For us, the benefits of living here far outweigh the problems.

I hadn't heard back from Sonos so today I emailed the recruiter to see if I was still under consideration. He said that they decided to go with someone else. I am a really good match for the job, so I obviously didn't impress (at least positively) in my interview. I am rusty at interviewing as I hadn't done it for 11 years or so. I asked if I could talk or correspond via email with the hiring manager to ask what I need to do to improve. We'll see if anything comes from it.

Such is life. On to the next opportunity. Dan, I hope that you had better luck.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who wished me good luck when I first applied. I'd also like to thank everybody even more for their nice words after I didn't get the job. There are enough opportunities in the area that I'll eventually find something I like. In the meantime, I'll finally be collecting unemployment. Well, until California runs out of money, that is. ;)

Sorry to hear that Ken. The telephone interview is an odd concept to me, and it seems like it would be much harder to "impress" in that context. Like you say, on to the next opportunity.

It's tough. The hiring manager is in Cambridge, MA. If we can't communicate effectively over the phone, then it would not work well if I would have been hired. It is much harder to impress over the phone. Especially for me as I'm a visual person and like to draw diagrams, etc. on white boards when communicating at work.

Sorry to hear that. It really is too bad you couldn't meet in person. I know I'm awkward on the phone, even with people I know well and talk to regularly. Face-to-face is really the only way to communicate well, especially with something as important as an interview. Their loss.

I agree it's difficult and that it's much easier to communicate face-to-face. However, the reality of the high-tech workspace (and others) is a more distributed model. I think it is possibly a big loss for them (I'd have to see the person they did hire), but I understand the risk one takes when hiring and you have to follow your instincts. If that person is in Cambridge, they had the advantage of being able to interview in person.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get a follow up with their hiring manager, it could provided valuable feedback. I agree with the above regarding phone interviews, communication between people are so much more than just words.

That's why I asked. It would be very useful. However, since I had to call to find out that I was no longer under consideration for the job, I don't have high hopes that the manager will provide a follow up.

>:( Bunch of morons, they don't deserve you. I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but I'm sure you'll get more offers. Better luck next time mate ;D

They aren't morons at all. The hiring manager is an MIT grad and has done good work. I just didn't hit the right chords with him. And he was the only person I interviewed with, so ...

But thanks for saying it. I appreciate it. ;D

They aren't morons at all. The hiring manager is an MIT grad and has done good work. I just didn't hit the right chords with him. And he was the only person I interviewed with, so ...

But thanks for saying it. I appreciate it. ;D

LOL Not very sure. I know many graduated and doctorate people who are true morons, and also very wise and clever undergraduate people. As I see it for the little knowledge I have of yourself, you have great human features that I'd like finding in a co-worker or subordinate. Much more in a boss. But probably that didn't appear on the interview and wasn't their main interest. Hence I still think they're morons hehehehe ;)

Ken, their loss.

My take:

*Pretend you didn't get a rejection. The recruiter told you; not the employer.

* Write a letter to the hiring manager. Don't ask for permission to do this.

* You said above you're a perfect fit. Tell him why. Yea, you already told him. Tell him again.

* Ask for the job.

You have nothing to loose. :)

Ken, their loss.

My take:

*Pretend you didn't get a rejection. The recruiter told you; not the employer.

* Write a letter to the hiring manager. Don't ask for permission to do this.

* You said above you're a perfect fit. Tell him why. Yea, you already told him. Tell him again.

* Ask for the job.

You have nothing to loose. :)

I like this idea. Nothing to lose and the persistence might pay off :)