What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked out Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, and My Sleeping Karma. Great stuff, thanks! Especially love MSK.

Any stuff like this out there with good female vocals?

Sorry, meant to reply to this earlier, I don't have much in these genres with female vocals, you could try what I'm listening to now:

Black Math Horseman - Wyllt

black-math-horseman-wyllt-cd-album-art-49031.jpeg

Janelle Monae - ArchAndroid

Janelle_Mon%C3%A1e_-_The_ArchAndroid_album_cover.jpg

Best pop record since.... well there's never been a pop record like this. Equal parts Lauryn Hill (specifically 'Miseducation Of' material) and Outkast, but taking a much wider range of influences than either of those.

Letterman performance from a couple nights ago, what most people would consider her debut to the world, and a damned fine one.

Janelle Monae - ArchAndroid

Janelle_Mon%C3%A1e_-_The_ArchAndroid_album_cover.jpg

Best pop record since.... well there's never been a pop record like this. Equal parts Lauryn Hill (specifically 'Miseducation Of' material) and Outkast, but taking a much wider range of influences than either of those.

Letterman performance from a couple nights ago, what most people would consider her debut to the world, and a damned fine one.

Even before the guy came out with the cape, I was thinking that she was channeling some of the energy and charisma of Morris Day/the Time. And there's nothing like having a crack backup band. Will definitely check that out.

Wow. Reminded me of a bad Vegas or Atlantic City act, even with the talented bad. Yuck.

Edit: Okay, I just checked out the cd. Truly awful. I'm really worried about you, Matt.

Edited by boomana

I like Jeffrey Lewis. Met him once at some open mic thing. I didnt realize he was semi-famous, just thought he was some goofy guy with an acoustic guitar. He was a pretty good host on New York Noise (NYC channel's indie music video/interview show) too

Wow. Reminded me of a bad Vegas or Atlantic City act, even with the talented bad. Yuck.

Edit: Okay, I just checked out the cd. Truly awful. I'm really worried about you, Matt.

You didn't see the Outkast reference? I kind of doubted this would be your cup of tea, why'd you even try it? Sorry, not meant as a dis, just wondering what you were thinking.

(I am familiar with Brightblack Morning Light -- that's like the opposite end of the energy spectrum. Kind of like Ludes vs. Speed. I had to delete it from my iPod, despite liking it, because every time it came up on random, I just got depressed.)

You didn't see the Outkast reference? I kind of doubted this would be your cup of tea, why'd you even try it? Sorry, not meant as a dis, just wondering what you were thinking.

I checked it out because I saw the Outkast reference. I like Outkast.

(I am familiar with Brightblack Morning Light -- that's like the opposite end of the energy spectrum. Kind of like Ludes vs. Speed. I had to delete it from my iPod, despite liking it, because every time it came up on random, I just got depressed.)

That's so strange. Every time it comes up on random, I get happy, and usually end up listening to the whole cd :)

Right now:

4219c060ada0747ef0c9e110.L.jpg

That's so strange.
Agreed, I really don't understand it myself. When I'm in the mood to listen to it, pretty much nothing else will do, and I'm not usually depressed when I want to listen to it, nor do I end up depressed afterwards. It's just something about the context of "the rest of my iPod". The alchemy of melancholy.