Anyone else having a flu...

Blackmore

Nice, cos up here its free ( covered by insurance, so not exactly free ) for people with age of 50+, just guessing, but for me would cost like EUR 25, I think, cos my age isnt in the risk zone yet... Will call my GP tomorrow...

Free. Well, not exactly since it comes out of our taxpayer dollars, but there's no fee to get the shot. We just drop by the clinic, get stuck with a needle and that's it.

Nice, cos up here its free ( covered by insurance, so not exactly free ) for people with age of 50+, just guessing, but for me would cost like EUR 25, I think, cos my age isnt in the risk zone yet... Will call my GP tomorrow...

Same here, it's free for any risk population. For working at a hospital I can have the vaccine, but the only year I got it, I passed the worst flu in my life, so I haven't dared to repeat :palm: At this moment passing a strong cold :mad:

Same here, it's free for any risk population. For working at a hospital I can have the vaccine, but the only year I got it, I passed the worst flu in my life, so I haven't dared to repeat :palm: At this moment passing a strong cold :mad:

Torpedo I believe "getting the flu after the flu vac" is one of those myths that doesn't seem to go away.

I'll see if I can pull up some papers on it. I just remember our Occupational Health department giving us a 20 minute lecture on it after grand rounds.

That does make sense if the vaccine is live attenuated.

Yep, however I don't know if that year they were using that type :rolleyes: Whatever, be it just coincidence or a bad batch of vaccines, I had my worst flu ever after being vaccinated hahahaha ;) I only felt worse when I had the measles for the second time :eek: (I swear, it's true, quite rare but happens and it had to happen to me) at 17, and when after they operated my Achilles tendon for it breaking, it got infected by S. Aureus and it went worse leading to septicemia :palm:

I've had more painful conditions, but the overall feeling of "just let me die" for a disease, only on those 3 occasions. Flu can be really distressing.

You can't get the flu from flu vaccine. You can get the flu after a flu vaccine, but it's not from the vaccine.

My personal theory is that your defenses are down while your body plays "war games" with the dead cells.

PS You asked how much it cost -- for me, it costs my deductible, which is like 5 bucks.

There's another problem with the vaccines in the first place, which happened last year -- doctors aren't prescient. The ones who perform the research behind flu vaccines have to anticipate which particular strain is going to become prevalent in the upcoming season, and then create a vaccine against it. The effort is enough that they can only create vaccines against 2 or 3 strains at the most. If they guess wrong, then you get outbreaks anyway. This happened last season.

That's just a horrible string of luck :eek:

Indeed, I'm here to tell ;D

Dusty, as Deepak said, you can get the disease from the own vaccine if it's not properly made and is based on attenuated live viruses. Obviously it's impossible if the vaccine uses just proteins, parts of the virus or completely dead ones. Also having received the vaccine doesn't necessarily mean your body is capable to make the antibodies needed to make you immune. As a matter of fact I received 4 doses of B-Hepatitis vaccine and I didn't reach minimum antibody levels to consider me protected... I should donate my body to science hahahaha.