CanJam 2009

Asr

I have been to B&R and they have some amazing burgers. There are a few places which are similar (like "The Counter" in Santa Monica and other places). The size and greasiness of everything is just amazing.

just commenting on "the counter" and providing my two cents for whatever they are worth... my wife and i have been to the counter three times and one of those times at their new location in marina del ray and this place has never impressed us nor do we get what other folks like about thsi place. i'd take a burger from father's office, in-n-out or five guys in carson any day over the counter without a second thought.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The West LA places are bit far out. Also, the places in Hawthorne and more ghetto areas are a lot cheaper. Burgers don't cost $12 in Hawthorne like they do at Father's Office or The Counter (where I once ordered a $20 1 lb burger w/ some kind of fruit sauce topping and goat cheese). The Monster Royal Burger at B&R in Hawthorne costs around $8 and is tastier and more unhealthy and equal to the size of the 1lb burger at The Counter.

For Mexican food in a safe area near LAX: El Tarasco on Main St in El Segundo, plenty of seating, easy parking. There's another location on Rosecrans less than a mile away right by the Pacific Ocean, but there's limited seating. It's almost as good as the Taco trucks.

The West LA places are bit far out. Also, the places in Hawthorne and more ghetto areas are a lot cheaper. Burgers don't cost $12 in Hawthorne like they do at Father's Office or The Counter (where I once ordered a $20 1 lb burger w/ some kind of fruit sauce topping and goat cheese). The Monster Royal Burger at B&R in Hawthorne costs around $8 and is tastier and more unhealthy and equal to the size of the 1lb burger at The Counter.

For Mexican food in a safe area near LAX: El Tarasco on Main St in El Segundo, plenty of seating, easy parking. There's another location on Rosecrans less than a mile away right by the Pacific Ocean, but there's limited seating. It's almost as good as the Taco trucks.

That sucks that there has to be "safe" areas and not so safe areas. Still makes me wonder why my Colorado Concealed Firearm Permit can't be used in CA when my CO driver's license can (had permit since 1994 and haven't gone postal yet).

I tend to agree with you there regarding why we have unsafe areas at all but I have found that just about every country with large cities have "safe and not so safe" areas, so this note of caution is not limited to just here. The not so safe areas he was referring to are the "you might get mugged" type rather than watch out for the AK47 wielding gang bangers or roaving Manson Family member's with Henkels chef knives types.

Oddly enough I'd argue that we have more consequence than most countries given the percentage of our citizens that are currently incarcerated. We run roughly 7-1 over most western countries with a whopping 700+ (stats vary depending on source) per 100,000 incarceration rate still leading the Russians though (fucking slackers) they only throw 600 per 100,000 in the slammer.

I would argue that the safety of an area has little to do with the relative incarceration rate of the local populous. The incarceration rate for shitty areas of L.A are far in excess of safe neighborhoods.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/us/23prison.html

Edited by jp11801

The not so safe areas he was referring to are the "you might get mugged" type rather than watch out for the AK47 wielding gang bangers or roaving Manson Family member's with Henkels chef knives types.

Although a Rodney King Riot tour could be arranged and is not that far from LAX. ;)

Even with the discount, its a whopping $220 for me, plus registration, hotel, etc. Thats a no go, especially since I'll have to miss work. :( Damn it.

$220 for thee plane for a plane ride

$0 to crash on some poor suckers floor

$5 for crappy taco truck food

shit eating grin I can't wipe off my face from memories at CanJam

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$220 for thee plane for a plane ride

$0 to crash on some poor suckers floor

$5 for crappy taco truck food

shit eating grin I can't wipe off my face from memories at CanJam

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That pretty much describes it for me. :)

I'm looking at $440 for two plane tickets and $203 for the room for 2 nights + food, but I'll get part of the room's cost back from Bluto.

Or I'll try to trade the room cost plus a pair of my 12AU7 Bugle Boys in order to keep Bluto's old airport extreme, which I'll turn into a 5Ghz 801.11n access point. (he upgraded to the new dual radio version)